another post on my friend with low increasing betas (m/c ment...)

another post on my friend with low increasing betas (m/c ment...)

June 1st, 2012, 5:08 pm #1

Hey Ladies, could use some more insight on my friend if you don't mind. She said she's currently around 6 weeks "Pregnant" but having suuuper low hcg levels. She messed up on her birth control pills and had unprotected sex on May 6th.

First hcg level about 2 weeks after her unprotected sex was 12...2 days later, 13, 2 more days later 19...then 4 days later, 42, now her latest draw 3 days later is 71.

She's having tons of anxiety b/c of the unknown. She's okay with this pregnancy going either way...miscarriage or not. But she's pretty desperate for some ideas on what could be going on. Unfortunately, I know it's a waiting game at this point. But I don't see how there's any way HCG levels this low could result in a healthy pregnancy right??? Could it be ectopic??? She had AF like bleeding at first, but nothing now. Does she have to be bleeding in order for her hcg numbers to be decreasing???

Any advice is appreciated.

Amy

Last edited by Aimes25 on June 1st, 2012, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TTC: Since Nov. 2006
Diagnosis: Ovarian Dysfunction & PCOS
26 Years Old
cd3 FSH 16.8
cd10 FSH 13.6
7 Unmonitored Cycles of Clomid
3 Unmonitored Cycles of Letrozole
Positive CCCT
TAB for cysts
1st Cycle of 150iu of Menopur with Timed BDing - 5 mature follies - BFN
TAB for cysts
2nd Cycle of 150iu of Menopur with Timed Intercourse - 4 mature follies in play - BFN
3rd Cycle of 150 iu of Menopur with Timed Intercourse - 2 follies - BFN
1st Cycle of Gonal F - 1 follie & cyst on right - BFN
TAB for a cycle
2nd Cycle of Gonal F = BFP!!!!!
11dpo Beta=27.9
14dpo Beta=120
16dpo Beta=210
18dpo Beta=429
21dpo Beta=1064
5w6d - baby measuring 3mm, h/b 101
6w6d - baby measuring 6mm, h/b 126
7w6d - baby 18mm, h/b 171, measuring ahead at 8w2d! RE noticed enlarged yolk sac so keeping a close eye on that
8w6d - baby 2.52cm with h/b of 174
9w5d - baby 3.22cm with h/b of 180 measuring 10w1d
10w6d - baby 4.34cmcm with h/b of 174 measuring 11w1d
12w u/s showed baby at 11.2cm with h/b of 162 - unfortunately, that evening I suffered a horrible m/c of a chromosomally NORMAL girl.... RIP my angel girl...you were loved....

First cycle of Gonal F with Timed Intercourse since m/c - BFN
2nd Cycle of Gonal F with Timed Intercourse - BFN
TAB for a month on bcp's
3rd Cycle of Gonal F - BFP
-11dpo beta=14.9
-14dpo beta=45.7
-16dpo beta=140
-18dpo beta=366
u/s at 6w1d showed heart-rate of 114!!!!
u/s at 7w1d showed heart-rate of 141!!!!
u/s at 8w showed heart-rate of 179
u/s at 9w showed 2 SCH's, h/r of 197
u/s at 10w showed h/r of 175
u/s at 11w showed h/r of 180
u/s at 12 w showed h/r of 188
12w2d...m/c'd baby at home, lost too much blood, had to have emergency D&C...severely anemic....baby was a chromosomally normal boy
-developed a blood clot in leg 1 1/2 wks post D&C...saw a hematologist and had testing done and everything came back normal, will still treat me with Lovenex on next pregnancy

June 1st, 2012, 5:39 pm #2

With those numbers, it doesn't sound like there's a good chance of it being a successful pregnancy (though stranger things have happened!). I assume she's seeing an ob? Have they given her an u/s to check her tubes? If she had bleeding, I'd almost wonder if maybe there's something remaining which is producing hcg.

How hard this must be for your friend. The not-knowing is such an anxiety producing place to be.

ZakiaZ
ZakiaZ

June 1st, 2012, 5:46 pm #3

Hey Ladies, could use some more insight on my friend if you don't mind. She said she's currently around 6 weeks "Pregnant" but having suuuper low hcg levels. She messed up on her birth control pills and had unprotected sex on May 6th.

First hcg level about 2 weeks after her unprotected sex was 12...2 days later, 13, 2 more days later 19...then 4 days later, 42, now her latest draw 3 days later is 71.

She's having tons of anxiety b/c of the unknown. She's okay with this pregnancy going either way...miscarriage or not. But she's pretty desperate for some ideas on what could be going on. Unfortunately, I know it's a waiting game at this point. But I don't see how there's any way HCG levels this low could result in a healthy pregnancy right??? Could it be ectopic??? She had AF like bleeding at first, but nothing now. Does she have to be bleeding in order for her hcg numbers to be decreasing???

Amy
"But I don't see how there's any way HCG levels this low could result in a healthy pregnancy right???"

Right!

"Could it be ectopic??? She had AF like bleeding at first, but nothing now."

I'm not a dr. but I doubt that at this point however, anything is possible. At 6 wks they should be able to tell either way and just in case it IS ectopic, it needs to be dealt with sooner rather than later. I once had a board buddy whose hcg took 2 or 3 mths to return to normal and it was under 10 at that point. I don't remember the exact number. Still, she was getting tested regularly as it depended on her starting her next cycle.

"Does she have to be bleeding in order for her hcg numbers to be decreasing???"

No. As well, no bleeding doesn't mean that hcg won't go down. It depends on what her hormones are doing. She should be getting P4 tested at the same time as hcg. She needs to getting some direction/advice from her health care provider.

Sorry about her loss.
Z.

mel
mel

June 1st, 2012, 5:51 pm #4

Amy
that it doesn't look good for your friend...I'm so sorry.

At 6 weeks, you would expect her hcg levels to be much, much higher, not to mention that they aren't rising/doubling as they should. An u/s is going to be the most conclusive thing for her to rule out an ectopic.

Sorry that she is dealing with this.

June 1st, 2012, 6:38 pm #5

Amy
I think she def needs an US (nt)
Me- 30
Day 3- FSH 10.4, E2 42; Day 10- 16.6; Possible endo, slight anti sperm antibodies
DH- 30, low Morph
TTC 23 Cycles
2 Cycles on Clomid- BFN
3 Cycles on Femara & IUI- BFN
Now- Natural plus antioxidants, Acu/Herbs till IVF when we're ready emotionally

Laura
Laura

June 1st, 2012, 6:55 pm #6

Amy
Im so so sorry for her loss. She doesn't need to bleed for hcg to drop and just bc someone is bleeding it doesn't mean their hcg will go down either. I know two women who had ectopics who had perfect b/w even at 6 wk. one even had perfect b/w until her 10-wk appt with no bleeding. The other had bleeding early but her b/w was still fine.

Maybe she had a very early m/c, but it didn't pass all of the tissue. She really should go see her OB for u/s bc if that tissue sits around too long it can get infected.