Another Item Question- How did you choose your crib and what kind did you end up getting?

Another Item Question- How did you choose your crib and what kind did you end up getting?

Teresa
Teresa

August 18th, 2012, 8:12 pm #1

I'm sorry if I'm being a pain asking all these product questions, but I could really use your advice.

How did you decide what crib to get? Which one did you get? Is it better to spend a little more on one that is a 4 in 1 and will later convert to a toddler bed and then child bed? I noticed Pottery Barn Kids has a low profile option on one of their cribs, they claim this option is supposed to be easier for someone on the shorter side (I'm 5'3) did anyone go this route?

I'm pretty much set on everything else for LO but the crib thing is tough and I definitely want to order one soon. I'd love to know how you decided and what you went with and any thoughts you may have. Thank you in advance for your help!

AJ
AJ

August 18th, 2012, 9:20 pm #2

From Munire. I absolutely loved it as her crib. It really is a beauiful piece- totally splurged on the first born. And she's in the big girl bed now- it converts to a full size- so it is a good investment if you plan on using it as he/she grows up. But here's the thing- and this is totally the girly shopper in me- we've been furniture shopping lately and there are so many cute girly beds- princess, castle....and DD is alllll over them when she sees one:). So while I love the idea that her crib will still be a part of us as she grows up, I can't help but want to get one of these fun ones for her. Maybe if we're lucky enough to have another, but with what we spent on her crib and matching furniture I don't dare even hint at it to DH:)

Have fun shopping!

MargieD
MargieD

August 18th, 2012, 11:00 pm #3

I'm sorry if I'm being a pain asking all these product questions, but I could really use your advice.

How did you decide what crib to get? Which one did you get? Is it better to spend a little more on one that is a 4 in 1 and will later convert to a toddler bed and then child bed? I noticed Pottery Barn Kids has a low profile option on one of their cribs, they claim this option is supposed to be easier for someone on the shorter side (I'm 5'3) did anyone go this route?

I'm pretty much set on everything else for LO but the crib thing is tough and I definitely want to order one soon. I'd love to know how you decided and what you went with and any thoughts you may have. Thank you in advance for your help!
We found an antique crib for $25 or so and got it refinished.

I love how it's very sturdy & well made. My DD just turned 3 and weighs over 40 pounds and constantly jumps on the thing! (I want my sleep so I'm waiting on transitioning her to the big girl bed!)

My sister bought a brand new crib and it fell apart within two years. I don't know what brand it was, but she's not getting her sleep...

I thought about the 4 in 1 cribs but I figured that I didn't want to be stuck with it for life. We've been shopping for a bed and it's nice to know that we can do whatever we want with her room. (We didn't know that DD was going to be a girl when we got the crib.)

August 18th, 2012, 11:46 pm #4

(don't worry, still safe, not some 10yr old handmedown)

and we bought a new mattress. Nothing special about the mattress. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive. firm as it should be.

Our two hardly spent time in it anyways. family bed was and still is my favourite. but it's not for everyone and I don't judge one way or the other (as I hope people won't me)

have fun choosing!!

btw if I had to buy one, I'd have bought the kind whose whole side can come off so that I could push it up to my bed (if heights were equal) and have it as a side bed for babe and use it as a toddler bed that way too.

I know a friend who used the Ikea one, that one that the side doesn't go up and down and for my needs, I wouldn't have liked bending down so low to get baby but realistically, babies are in these beds for 2-3yrs tops. Go with what you feel is safe and best for your needs and hope you get to keep it for a #2

(OH! not a pain about asking these questions, you aren't the only one wondering and for those whose babies are grown-ish (ahem, me) it's fun to revisit these days; they go by much too fast. sniff sniff)

jm

me:43
FSH 26
DS: born by c-sec Apr15'03, 9lbs5oz 41wks gest. (after 4 years of ttc, starting in 1998)
DD born by c-sec Oct 13 2007, 8lbs13oz 39wk gest. (after just under 3 years of ttc)
~~DS was conceived naturally the cycle following a cancelled DE IVF, using my good friend's eggs. She was on the verge of hyperstimming.
~~DD's nat conception I attribute to using OPKs like a crazy nut, eating grapefruit daily and using preseed. also 5 cycles of TCM ending 2 cycles before that lucky cycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Laura
Laura

August 19th, 2012, 2:20 am #5

We got it from a friend who first bought it for her then-8-yo. The front comes off so now he can climb in/out on his own, but it won't convert to a full-sized bed. I'm glad we didn't get one of those because it wouldn't have fit in his room in our new house as a full bed. We will get him a twin when #2 arrives.

August 19th, 2012, 3:20 am #6

We looked at a lot of cribs, but as soon as I saw this one, I was sold on it. We ended up getting an Ouef crib, which does convert to a toddler bed. The design is simple and clean, which we really liked. Also, like you, I am petite (5'1"), so the height was a concern too. Besides the look and sturdiness of this crib, the ease of being able to get the baby in and out was a huge selling factor.

We loved our crib and so did my DD, and she is loving it as a toddler bed too. Ouef has a lot of different styles, the one we chose was from their classic collection.http://www.oeufnyc.com/theoeufclassiccr ... n=overview

Good luck and happy shopping!

August 19th, 2012, 3:37 pm #7

I liked the look of it and other pieces that went with it.
The side does not come down (not sure if many do these days).
It is super sturdy and they had good customer service.
Oh, it does convert to a full size bed, hence wanting the other pieces in the group.
GL

Teresa
Teresa

August 19th, 2012, 9:19 pm #8

I really appreciate everyone sharing what they have, you were very helpful, and it's going to be hard to choose, but I love knowing what people recommend in real life.

AJ- I would be the same way if I have a little girl...I love ALL things GIRLY and PINK!!!

MargieD- that's awesome, I love antiques and would have never thought of doing that. DH is super handy and has found some "gems" in his travels that he restored and what's so nice is that they're unique and personalized. I love your idea!!

Juliemam- I would never judge you!! And how lucky you were able to catch a hand me down. Our friends with kids...theirs are mostly in middle school, so we haven't been so lucky to be offered any freebies. I WISH! I think we will be testing out lots of cribs in the coming weeks. Thanks for the Ikea suggestion too, I've purchased so many things from there and it'll be good to hit it up, see what's out there...maybe even for a dresser if we don't go for the crib there!

Laura, raised a very important point about room size..we will be moving this spring and who knows how big LO's bedroom will be. That's really something to keep in mind!! Thanks for pointing that out. I bet your toddler will have fun picking out a "big boy bed"

Mel- those Ouef cribs are beautiful, DH LOVES them and the fact that they're easy to get the baby in and out of is a huge plus for a shorty like me, good to keep in mind, thank you!!

Karma- RESTORATION HARDWARE is one of my favorite stores and I didn't know they had a baby line. OMG!!! Thanks for letting me know..went to the website..oh that Collette crib is DREAMY!!!!!!!!!!! I want every single one of those nurseries..THAT'S my TASTE!! Going to have to make a trip there to see in person...

Thank you again to ALL, you have made this so hard, LOL. I appreciate all your help and telling me the pros to each!!

smrc
smrc

August 19th, 2012, 10:29 pm #9

We looked at a lot of cribs, but as soon as I saw this one, I was sold on it. We ended up getting an Ouef crib, which does convert to a toddler bed. The design is simple and clean, which we really liked. Also, like you, I am petite (5'1"), so the height was a concern too. Besides the look and sturdiness of this crib, the ease of being able to get the baby in and out was a huge selling factor.

We loved our crib and so did my DD, and she is loving it as a toddler bed too. Ouef has a lot of different styles, the one we chose was from their classic collection.http://www.oeufnyc.com/theoeufclassiccr ... n=overview

Good luck and happy shopping!
because of aesthetics and the fact they seem to work well for us "shorter" moms (I'm 5' 3'). I would have bought the grey oeuf sparrow, which I see all over the place on design blogs. I have ended up having a hand me down oeuf offered to me by a good friend- couldn't turn this offer down, although it was not the same/style color I wanted. Will buy a new mattress for it, I think.

Separately, thought there were some great nursery decorating ideas at these links!

http://goodbonesgreatpieces.com/2012/08 ... -part-two/
http://goodbonesgreatpieces.com/2012/08 ... l-nursery/

One thing i noticed when scoping out crips, is that some of the necessary add-ons do add up - mattress, convertible to toddler features, so keep in mind these extras when thinking about price. The stokki cribs seemed to have the most "extras".

August 19th, 2012, 11:51 pm #10

I really appreciate everyone sharing what they have, you were very helpful, and it's going to be hard to choose, but I love knowing what people recommend in real life.

AJ- I would be the same way if I have a little girl...I love ALL things GIRLY and PINK!!!

MargieD- that's awesome, I love antiques and would have never thought of doing that. DH is super handy and has found some "gems" in his travels that he restored and what's so nice is that they're unique and personalized. I love your idea!!

Juliemam- I would never judge you!! And how lucky you were able to catch a hand me down. Our friends with kids...theirs are mostly in middle school, so we haven't been so lucky to be offered any freebies. I WISH! I think we will be testing out lots of cribs in the coming weeks. Thanks for the Ikea suggestion too, I've purchased so many things from there and it'll be good to hit it up, see what's out there...maybe even for a dresser if we don't go for the crib there!

Laura, raised a very important point about room size..we will be moving this spring and who knows how big LO's bedroom will be. That's really something to keep in mind!! Thanks for pointing that out. I bet your toddler will have fun picking out a "big boy bed"

Mel- those Ouef cribs are beautiful, DH LOVES them and the fact that they're easy to get the baby in and out of is a huge plus for a shorty like me, good to keep in mind, thank you!!

Karma- RESTORATION HARDWARE is one of my favorite stores and I didn't know they had a baby line. OMG!!! Thanks for letting me know..went to the website..oh that Collette crib is DREAMY!!!!!!!!!!! I want every single one of those nurseries..THAT'S my TASTE!! Going to have to make a trip there to see in person...

Thank you again to ALL, you have made this so hard, LOL. I appreciate all your help and telling me the pros to each!!
to live near an outlet, you can get some good deals.
I happened to be at one (near Boston) buying a bathroom cabinet and wrote a request out if they received the crib I was looking for. Within a week, they called me. I just bought the other pieces, as I did not want to wait and I am so pleased with the quality. I love that all drawers are lined with cedar and are super sturdy.
If you see something you like, I would not hesitate buying from them.
GL