...and I failed my 3 hour gestational diabetes test

...and I failed my 3 hour gestational diabetes test

Sara H
Sara H

June 12th, 2012, 9:54 pm #1

So, my Dr. finally called and I pass at my blood fasting test, was iffy again at one hour, clearly failed my 3 hour and passed my 3 hour... so all together it's a fail, I have gestational diabetes gestational diabetes.

GGGGRRRRRAAAAGGGGG!

Seriously? I don't know how bad that make it when you added it with my 2 vessel umbilical cord issue but I will find out Thursday when I meet with the nurses, a GD adviser and the sono tech, then my OB. Fun day.

Daily testing, new diet and all that. Joy.

I will of course do whatever I need to for the baby and me but I just don't know with the new diet how I am going to get the calories I need, since I already don't eat most of what is on there and have only gained 12 pounds at 29 weeks.

So, more info on Thursday about the details but I'd love to hear from anyone who has been though this and managed it before? Any thoughts or advice? (Like- I am hoping for a arm meter instead of a finger one, is that possible?)

Not so happy today,
Sara H

June 13th, 2012, 1:16 am #2

I don't have experience on this so I have nothing to say on it. Hopefully the nurses and GD advisor will help and things won't feel like too much of a big deal, ya know??

hugs
julie

Laura
Laura

June 13th, 2012, 1:51 am #3

So, my Dr. finally called and I pass at my blood fasting test, was iffy again at one hour, clearly failed my 3 hour and passed my 3 hour... so all together it's a fail, I have gestational diabetes gestational diabetes.

GGGGRRRRRAAAAGGGGG!

Seriously? I don't know how bad that make it when you added it with my 2 vessel umbilical cord issue but I will find out Thursday when I meet with the nurses, a GD adviser and the sono tech, then my OB. Fun day.

I will of course do whatever I need to for the baby and me but I just don't know with the new diet how I am going to get the calories I need, since I already don't eat most of what is on there and have only gained 12 pounds at 29 weeks.

So, more info on Thursday about the details but I'd love to hear from anyone who has been though this and managed it before? Any thoughts or advice? (Like- I am hoping for a arm meter instead of a finger one, is that possible?)

Not so happy today,
Sara H
As if you weren't worried enough about the cord issue...I don't have advice, but I have many friends who are on the paleo diet and they seem to enjoy it. Hopefully it won't be difficult once you get used to it. Sorry!

Wells42
Wells42

June 13th, 2012, 3:40 am #4

GGGGRRRRRAAAAGGGGG!

Not so happy today,
Sara H
I know . . . it's sucky, but it will be okay. I had it with my last pregnancy and the worst part is getting the news. I was in the waiting room waiting for my last blood draw, but evidently it was a slow day at MFM and the nurse had been watching my numbers as they were entered into the system, so they called me out, told me I didn't need to do the last draw, and that I needed to call MFM and sign up for one of the classes. I was like, a CLASS???? Are you kidding me? But the first thing the nutritionist talked about at said class, after handing out these handy-dandy little menus, was the emotional impact of finding out you have GD. I could tell every other woman in the room was trying, like I was, not to burst into tears. That said, actually having GD was not nearly as bad as finding out I had GD. I was really surprised by how much I could eat on the diet. Having been on more than one diet in my life, this one was a snap. The hardest part wasn't what to eat, but when to eat. You have to allow at least two hours between snacks/meals - and for a grazer like me, that was hard. And I had to remember to call my numbers in a couple of times a week, which was easy to forget. But other than that, it wasn't bad at all. The meters are really nice these days - you only need an itsy-bitsy speck of blood, and it doesn't hurt at all (invest in a good lancet thingy - one that lets you select the level - and then do it on the sides of your fingers - fewer nerves there). It will take some practice - figuring out what you can eat/not eat, but they will work with you on that. Just keep a journal so you know what works and what doesn't. For example, I couldn't walk by a piece of bread in the morning without going over (even though the official diet said I could have a piece of toast in the am) but I could have two pieces of PB toast for a bedtime snack w/o going over (even though the official diet said I couldn't). So, it is just a matter of figuring out what your body is doing. For me, this was enough. But the reason they have you test 4x a day is so they can tell if something changes. If you are doing all the same things and your blood sugar is still going up, then you need insulin. Here are just a few little things that worked for me:
1) Exercise AFTER you eat. Even a five minute walk after a meal will bring the numbers down.
2) Eat Protein first - then carbs - and try to eat a little protein with each meal
3) Good snacks: cheese sticks and nuts. And cream cheese on anything
4) Eat enough. Low blood sugar isn't good, either. So, figure out what you can eat, and then EAT!

Again, I know it is crappy news. I, too, had other complications, and it just doesn't seem fair. But I know you will sail through this. This is really the hardest part. If you have any other questions, please let me know. I'll be happy to answer.

mel
mel

June 13th, 2012, 4:56 am #5

GGGGRRRRRAAAAGGGGG!

Not so happy today,
Sara H
Not the news you wanted. I'm so sorry. I don't have any advice, but hopefully your dr will be able to give you good info. Take care.

June 13th, 2012, 12:48 pm #6

GGGGRRRRRAAAAGGGGG!

Not so happy today,
Sara H
I was afraid myself of having it. Diabetes runs in my family, and my sister was recently diagnosed as "pre-diabetic". I passed with DS too, but sometimes wondered if something was missed, since he was so big at birth (11lb 6oz), though his blood sugars tested okay at birth.

I hope it goes okay for you, and you have my sympathies for dealing with this.

Sara H
Sara H

June 13th, 2012, 1:45 pm #7

GGGGRRRRRAAAAGGGGG!

Not so happy today,
Sara H
and thank you Wells42, great advice. I have a meeting with a nurse and dietitian tomorrow, we'll see if they ask me to take as class as well.

Good advice on the "side of the finger" idea. I HATE having my fingers pricked, really really hate it. I'd rather have my blood drawn any day. I'll see if I can do my arm in instead but I like having the side of the finger option, thank you.

Thank you for saying that this is the worst part, that makes me feel better and you are right, it will feel so much better once this is under control.

Warning: grip.
I am so glad I beat the odds once, thrilled to be able to get pregnant, but I am ready to stop now. 1 in 10,000 or whatever that I could get pg, 1 in 200 that we'd have this umbilical cord problem, and with my health and history I was told it was 1 in 150 that I could have GD.... so I have to admit that now I am rather nervous that there are other "odds" that we could bet, like "most kids with this (umbilical cord) issue are fine." Well, "most" people with my heath history don't get GD... I know, I am just letting my head spin and I should stop but it is so hard.

Sorry, I'm just venting!

OK, thank you all, again, for the support and thoughts!
Sara H.

Tanya
Tanya

June 13th, 2012, 2:06 pm #8

GGGGRRRRRAAAAGGGGG!

Not so happy today,
Sara H
I think you know that I had GD and while it was inconvenient it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. I had to check my levels 4x a day and ended up doing insulin injections 3 days a day. The oral gluberide wasnt helping much and I had some strange reactions while taking it. I had also read that the Gluberide crosses the placenta so I was more comfortable with the insulin injections.
I remember that I had to send my readings in every other day until my MFM was certain my sugar levels stabilized. Even then, after a few days my body would seem to adjust to the insulin and they had to increase the dose. The MFM explained this wasnt necessarily a bad thing, it was that my body was doing what it was supposed to and the placenta was actually being over effective so they had to continue to adjust the dosage.
I am sure I still have my diets somewhere so let me find it and Ill send to you. For me, I found there were certain things I could and couldnt eat. Every morning I would have an egg for breakfast and lunch was typically a salad / soup. Dinner was a very well balanced meal and I did good with whole grain pasta. That was a suggestion by my MFM because I was having a hard time with certain foods and would feel nausea but the pasta helped settle my stomach. Im sure you will find what you can and cant eat with a little trial and error.
The best advice I could offer would be go directly to the insulin injections and skip the gluberide. Someone gave me the same advice but of course I was opposed to injections. However they were right, the injections were so much easier.
I know it is scary and you want to make sure your baby is okay. Even though everyone said it would be fine, I was still very scared. Hope it makes you feel better that Logan turned out fine and didnt exhibit any signs from the diabetes.
Ill email you offline with the diet information and the spreadsheet I developed to track my levels.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

June 13th, 2012, 3:16 pm #9

GGGGRRRRRAAAAGGGGG!

Not so happy today,
Sara H
I have no advice since I'm not familiar with GD but I do remember being very concerned when I failed the 1 hour and praying so badly I wouldn't fail the 3 hour. So I'm sure you're feeling so very bummed and concerned all rolled in one. I'm sorry for that!! The one thing that resonates through your postings has been that you have very good people looking after you. That goes sooo far and I'm sure your doctors will be watching you very closely and can react quickly should any concerns arise.

Sounds like you've gotten some good GD advice here too and I hope that you can get this under control super fast.

Hang in there!!

Erin
Erin

June 13th, 2012, 3:29 pm #10

GGGGRRRRRAAAAGGGGG!

Not so happy today,
Sara H
But very sorry you're dealing with this. I know that when more than one thing goes wrong it shakes your confidence and it feels like less of a given that everything will be okay. However, in your examples above you actually BEAT the biggest odds- you got pregnant! Wishing you good luck dealing with this- sounds like you have a lot of good support at your disposal.