Advice - newborn won't sleep

Advice - newborn won't sleep

Tanya
Tanya

January 28th, 2012, 1:03 pm #1

I cant believe how much I love being a mother already. Although I would be lying if I said I wasnt a bit frustrated and overly exhausted right now (going on two hours of sleep again today).

Logan sleeps fairly well during the day. He will eat about 2 oz of breast milk every 2-3 hours and take naps in between. However come 9pm, it is his witching hour and he has consistently stayed up for the last 3 nights pretty much the ENTIRE night with the exception of when he falls asleep in the recliner/ rocker. The minute I put him in his bassinet, he wakes up screaming. I have done the entire routine where I make sure he is sound asleep before laying him down, I dont stimulate him so he will begin to understand that night time if for sleeping, check his diaper I am at a loss..

The only variable is we are still trying to figure out the various bottles and pacifiers. I wasnt able to get him to latch in the hospital so we started supplementing the pumped breast milk with efamil pre-made in 2 oz bottles. Since then, I am pumping 90% of the time and giving it to him so we are trying to find the right bottle thinking these screaming episodes during the night are related to the bottle since he does seem to get bad gas hours after he has eaten even though he doesnt spit up.
We have tried the nipples the hospital gave us which come with the efamil formula, the nipples that come with the Medela breast pump, Platex (which I will not use again since I lost break milk with the baggie exploded), Tomee Tippee and Dr. Brown. So far the Tomee Tippee seems the best although I will try Dr. Brown even though they have so many parts.

Do you think the introduction of the various bottles could be causing the problem? When I mentioned this to the pediatrician, she didnt think it was a big deal. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions of what I can try or is this fairly common for a newborn to stay up ALL night? I am deliriously tired at this point, poor DH is getting no sleep and has to go back to work on Monday.

Sorry if this post doesnt make a lot of sense. My mind isnt very sharp right now with the lack of sleep.

Thank you in advance!
Tanya

bigboy
bigboy

January 28th, 2012, 2:21 pm #2

i just wanted to say i feel for you...but i dont have any advice, other than that i feel like it's pretty normal bc all babies are different in the sleeping/eating areas.
we introduced a bottle when our son was 2 weeks old at night - my husband would give him 1 bottle in the evening so i could pump and/or rebuid milk supply. we tried one brand (dr. browns) didnt work, tried Born Free, and it worked. he was already sleeping pretty well at night too even at 2 weeks so i just dont have good advice...we were so lucky. i feel for you though, good luck.

Sara H
Sara H

January 28th, 2012, 3:24 pm #3

I cant believe how much I love being a mother already. Although I would be lying if I said I wasnt a bit frustrated and overly exhausted right now (going on two hours of sleep again today).

Logan sleeps fairly well during the day. He will eat about 2 oz of breast milk every 2-3 hours and take naps in between. However come 9pm, it is his witching hour and he has consistently stayed up for the last 3 nights pretty much the ENTIRE night with the exception of when he falls asleep in the recliner/ rocker. The minute I put him in his bassinet, he wakes up screaming. I have done the entire routine where I make sure he is sound asleep before laying him down, I dont stimulate him so he will begin to understand that night time if for sleeping, check his diaper I am at a loss..

The only variable is we are still trying to figure out the various bottles and pacifiers. I wasnt able to get him to latch in the hospital so we started supplementing the pumped breast milk with efamil pre-made in 2 oz bottles. Since then, I am pumping 90% of the time and giving it to him so we are trying to find the right bottle thinking these screaming episodes during the night are related to the bottle since he does seem to get bad gas hours after he has eaten even though he doesnt spit up.
We have tried the nipples the hospital gave us which come with the efamil formula, the nipples that come with the Medela breast pump, Platex (which I will not use again since I lost break milk with the baggie exploded), Tomee Tippee and Dr. Brown. So far the Tomee Tippee seems the best although I will try Dr. Brown even though they have so many parts.

Do you think the introduction of the various bottles could be causing the problem? When I mentioned this to the pediatrician, she didnt think it was a big deal. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions of what I can try or is this fairly common for a newborn to stay up ALL night? I am deliriously tired at this point, poor DH is getting no sleep and has to go back to work on Monday.

Sorry if this post doesnt make a lot of sense. My mind isnt very sharp right now with the lack of sleep.

Thank you in advance!
Tanya
I am wondering, since a dear friend when thought something similar...

Do you give him just breast milk at night or a mix? I ask becuase if he is having the fits at night I wonder if he is having some acid reflux or other reaction to the formula that is different then the breast milk... see what I mean?

(A friends son had bad acid reflux but it took a while to figure it out!)

Can you pump enough to only give him breast milk at night? (or whatever time he has the screaming fits?)

Again, not the voice of experience here, just a thought!

Hugs and hopes for nice naps to all!
Sara H

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

January 28th, 2012, 5:11 pm #4

Thank you in advance!
Tanya
so don't add this pressure to yourself of having it all figured out already.

I sympathize with the sleeping spouse issue because I had to deal with the same but hopefully he can sleep in closed quarters where he can least hear the nighttime crying. My DH had to be up at 4:30 am so I gave him the bedroom (which is upstairs down the hall) and I made the living room (which is downstairs) my living quarters for about 6 weeks. He could still hear some of the nighttime crying but with the bedroom door closed it was at least muffled.

I can also sympathize with "I can't figure out why baby is crying so much" because I dealt with that with Lauren having colic.

It's tough to say what's normal or not with the crying because every baby is different (and of course assuming no medical reason which doesn't seem to be the case here). It really varies newborn to newborn. His Circadian rhythm is still being "calibrated" so that could be it. It could be gas. It could be that he doesn't feel well lying down flat. Or the rocking is much more soothing. Are you putting him to sleep during the day the same way you do at night? Are you burping him during the feeding? Have you tried different burping methods? I found sitting Lauren down on my lap and bracing her head/neck was how I got the best burps out. That or laying her face down on my lap. White noise also worked wonders at times for soothing her.

As for the bottles, have you tried latching? More so than spending too much energy on figuring out the bottles I'd try latching because that will make thing sooo much easier, might help with the gas and also give him the soothing he needs.

As for the pacifiers, not all babies care about them. Even when Lauren was bottled fed for 6 weeks she didn't care about the pacifier. To this day she doesn't take one. So don't think there's something wrong if he doesn't want one.

It's still really early in his little life and he's trying to figure it all out. And be ready because sometimes, just when you have it all figured out, they decide to change things up on you.

Seriously, though, there's no magic bullet and all babies are different. It's a matter of trial and error sometimes. I know it's really hard to have a crying newborn and the feeling of helplessness that comes with it. But trust that you are doing a great job. And don't forget, crying at this stage is the ONLY way a baby can communicate. Crying is their language. The hard part is deciphering what the cries mean and that will come in time.

Hang in there and considering that he IS taking a bottle consider having mom or DH feed him a couple of the daytime feedings this weekend so that you could at least get a 30 minute cat nap in between.

It gets better, it just takes time.

January 28th, 2012, 5:16 pm #5

Thank you in advance!
Tanya
because thankfully (and I know how fortunate I am in this) my two never had days switched to nights. Instead, my DS had me up nursing him around the clock, every 2hrs, taking about an hour for the whole session including diaper and pumping (trying to boost supply) so that was it's own kind of "trial" but I'm ok now now (twitch twitch). lol

What you need to do is have him be and see sunlight as much as possible during the day. This might take a few days for the transition.

I used the Platex bottles with the softest silicone and slow flow top. and yes, lost some liquid gold too but mostly it was formula out of the bottle for mine since I had to supplement a wee bit. (formula is a good tool) These nipples are labelled as disposable, better and softer than their usual non-disposable nipples. I swear by them. Less air in them, less mouth spillage. but every babe is different.

You have probably tried these things but I'll list them all the same because you say he wakes up when's he's off you but sleeps fine on you:

Your shirt that you wore that day laid in his bed so he can sleep on it (this somewhat worked for me DS..not much but it's one of those tricks that are supposed to work)

Laying down a fleece blanket for him to sleep on (warmer than regular receiving blanket/sheet)

family bed and have DH sleep in other room until he's caught up on his sleep since he's the one who has to go be coherent out in the big world. --I swear by this but not everybody feels comfortable with having baby in bed and that is ok. I would spread a receiving blanket down and put baby on that and naturally the baby faces you so after a feeding, I'd slide the blanket over with baby on and sleep on the other side. I also put a rail on my side of the bed. (there are certain "rules" to follow when having a family bed, you can google them or we can chat about them some more if you want)

When he's asleep on you, gently get up, walk over to his bed and test his depth of sleep by lifting his arm and letting it fall. If this doesn't wake him up, bend down as low as you can with him still stuck to you, to put him on or near the shirt you would have put there already (or if shirt isn't there yet and putting him down works, rip your shirt off as fast as possible and place it near his head where he can smell it. He won't suffocate if it's placed flat and he's not face flat pressed into it.
(that reminds me, my DD when she was put on her tummy to sleep, she's put her face straight into the mattress. So, yeah, she didn't get to sleep on her tummy. LOL)

I tried so hard to have my DS sleep in his own bed and all it got me (who was overwhelmed as it was) was stressed so I gave up and he stayed in our bed until he was 4. yes, 4. and he's the most confident kid I know--not that that makes confident kids but I know some (in real life) who say it coddles child too much and makes them "sissies". pft!

finally (if you are still with me this far, sorry so long) go post this question on the playgroup bb. You will marvel at how common this is. truly.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/193668/
We are all parents at the Playgroup. and all are welcome to post--you do need to have a log-in but that's free and simple to do.

good luck.

one more note, when I had DD and we were up in the night nursing, and because it was a bit of a struggle because of my low supply and I'd have to switch her sides over and over until she's settle in and my milk would flow, I didn't clue in once until she was really crying that what she wanted to do was play with me. she was 1 month old. I still remember feeling bad about feeling frustrated because she acted like she wanted to drink but was so fussy at it. then I held her sitting looking at me and said, what? why don't you want to drink (it was her "time" after al) and she smiled. I almost cried as I said "oh! you want to play!" I felt like such a dolt LOL and this was my second baby, I felt I should know these things by now but she taught me that I still have a lot to learn. still LOL

hugs
jm

me:42, DH 44
FSH 26
DS: born by c-sec Apr15'03, 9lbs5oz 41wks gest. (after 4 years of ttc, starting in 1998)
DD born by c-sec Oct 13 2007, 8lbs13oz 39wk gest. (after just under 3 years of ttc)
~~DS was conceived naturally the cycle following a cancelled DE IVF, using my good friend's eggs. She was on the verge of hyperstimming.
~~DD's nat conception I attribute to using OPKs like a crazy nut, eating grapefruit daily and using preseed. also 5 cycles of TCM ending 2 cycles before that lucky cycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

January 28th, 2012, 5:21 pm #6

so don't add this pressure to yourself of having it all figured out already.

I sympathize with the sleeping spouse issue because I had to deal with the same but hopefully he can sleep in closed quarters where he can least hear the nighttime crying. My DH had to be up at 4:30 am so I gave him the bedroom (which is upstairs down the hall) and I made the living room (which is downstairs) my living quarters for about 6 weeks. He could still hear some of the nighttime crying but with the bedroom door closed it was at least muffled.

I can also sympathize with "I can't figure out why baby is crying so much" because I dealt with that with Lauren having colic.

It's tough to say what's normal or not with the crying because every baby is different (and of course assuming no medical reason which doesn't seem to be the case here). It really varies newborn to newborn. His Circadian rhythm is still being "calibrated" so that could be it. It could be gas. It could be that he doesn't feel well lying down flat. Or the rocking is much more soothing. Are you putting him to sleep during the day the same way you do at night? Are you burping him during the feeding? Have you tried different burping methods? I found sitting Lauren down on my lap and bracing her head/neck was how I got the best burps out. That or laying her face down on my lap. White noise also worked wonders at times for soothing her.

As for the bottles, have you tried latching? More so than spending too much energy on figuring out the bottles I'd try latching because that will make thing sooo much easier, might help with the gas and also give him the soothing he needs.

As for the pacifiers, not all babies care about them. Even when Lauren was bottled fed for 6 weeks she didn't care about the pacifier. To this day she doesn't take one. So don't think there's something wrong if he doesn't want one.

It's still really early in his little life and he's trying to figure it all out. And be ready because sometimes, just when you have it all figured out, they decide to change things up on you.

Seriously, though, there's no magic bullet and all babies are different. It's a matter of trial and error sometimes. I know it's really hard to have a crying newborn and the feeling of helplessness that comes with it. But trust that you are doing a great job. And don't forget, crying at this stage is the ONLY way a baby can communicate. Crying is their language. The hard part is deciphering what the cries mean and that will come in time.

Hang in there and considering that he IS taking a bottle consider having mom or DH feed him a couple of the daytime feedings this weekend so that you could at least get a 30 minute cat nap in between.

It gets better, it just takes time.
http://www.amazon.com/Heading-Home-Your ... Descending

I found it so helpful. It's a thin, super easy read book. I'd thumb it while I was pumping. Unlike the other books, this one just focuses on the newborn stage. A friend of mine loaned it to me and I returned it to her a couple of months ago. But I would've purchased it hands down.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

January 28th, 2012, 6:01 pm #7

because thankfully (and I know how fortunate I am in this) my two never had days switched to nights. Instead, my DS had me up nursing him around the clock, every 2hrs, taking about an hour for the whole session including diaper and pumping (trying to boost supply) so that was it's own kind of "trial" but I'm ok now now (twitch twitch). lol

What you need to do is have him be and see sunlight as much as possible during the day. This might take a few days for the transition.

I used the Platex bottles with the softest silicone and slow flow top. and yes, lost some liquid gold too but mostly it was formula out of the bottle for mine since I had to supplement a wee bit. (formula is a good tool) These nipples are labelled as disposable, better and softer than their usual non-disposable nipples. I swear by them. Less air in them, less mouth spillage. but every babe is different.

You have probably tried these things but I'll list them all the same because you say he wakes up when's he's off you but sleeps fine on you:

Your shirt that you wore that day laid in his bed so he can sleep on it (this somewhat worked for me DS..not much but it's one of those tricks that are supposed to work)

Laying down a fleece blanket for him to sleep on (warmer than regular receiving blanket/sheet)

family bed and have DH sleep in other room until he's caught up on his sleep since he's the one who has to go be coherent out in the big world. --I swear by this but not everybody feels comfortable with having baby in bed and that is ok. I would spread a receiving blanket down and put baby on that and naturally the baby faces you so after a feeding, I'd slide the blanket over with baby on and sleep on the other side. I also put a rail on my side of the bed. (there are certain "rules" to follow when having a family bed, you can google them or we can chat about them some more if you want)

When he's asleep on you, gently get up, walk over to his bed and test his depth of sleep by lifting his arm and letting it fall. If this doesn't wake him up, bend down as low as you can with him still stuck to you, to put him on or near the shirt you would have put there already (or if shirt isn't there yet and putting him down works, rip your shirt off as fast as possible and place it near his head where he can smell it. He won't suffocate if it's placed flat and he's not face flat pressed into it.
(that reminds me, my DD when she was put on her tummy to sleep, she's put her face straight into the mattress. So, yeah, she didn't get to sleep on her tummy. LOL)

I tried so hard to have my DS sleep in his own bed and all it got me (who was overwhelmed as it was) was stressed so I gave up and he stayed in our bed until he was 4. yes, 4. and he's the most confident kid I know--not that that makes confident kids but I know some (in real life) who say it coddles child too much and makes them "sissies". pft!

finally (if you are still with me this far, sorry so long) go post this question on the playgroup bb. You will marvel at how common this is. truly.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/193668/
We are all parents at the Playgroup. and all are welcome to post--you do need to have a log-in but that's free and simple to do.

good luck.

one more note, when I had DD and we were up in the night nursing, and because it was a bit of a struggle because of my low supply and I'd have to switch her sides over and over until she's settle in and my milk would flow, I didn't clue in once until she was really crying that what she wanted to do was play with me. she was 1 month old. I still remember feeling bad about feeling frustrated because she acted like she wanted to drink but was so fussy at it. then I held her sitting looking at me and said, what? why don't you want to drink (it was her "time" after al) and she smiled. I almost cried as I said "oh! you want to play!" I felt like such a dolt LOL and this was my second baby, I felt I should know these things by now but she taught me that I still have a lot to learn. still LOL

hugs
jm

me:42, DH 44
FSH 26
DS: born by c-sec Apr15'03, 9lbs5oz 41wks gest. (after 4 years of ttc, starting in 1998)
DD born by c-sec Oct 13 2007, 8lbs13oz 39wk gest. (after just under 3 years of ttc)
~~DS was conceived naturally the cycle following a cancelled DE IVF, using my good friend's eggs. She was on the verge of hyperstimming.
~~DD's nat conception I attribute to using OPKs like a crazy nut, eating grapefruit daily and using preseed. also 5 cycles of TCM ending 2 cycles before that lucky cycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I thought about adding the bed rail. But I find that DD just sticks to me like a magnet. She's 5 months now and I suppose that may be changing soon as she becomes more mobile. Did you use the same ones they have for kids' beds?

MargieD
MargieD

January 28th, 2012, 7:24 pm #8

Thank you in advance!
Tanya
I kept DD awake during the day. We would play with her / do what we can to keep her up so that by 9 or 10 pm she was ready to sleep. I think the rule I told DH was that DD was not allowed to nap between 5 pm to 9 pm until she got her sleeping habits straightened out.

Laura
Laura

January 28th, 2012, 9:33 pm #9

Thank you in advance!
Tanya
Newborns are usually born with days and nights mixed up. remember that in the womb it is dark all the time, so being awake in the dark is not new for them. It can take 2-4 weeks for them to figure it out. DS took about 2 weeks after he was "full-term" (he was born 6 wk early and did nothing but eat and sleep for 6 wk and then was like a real newborn).

But for now, just continue to nurse as much as possible. I found the best way to get DS to latch was to straddle him across my stomach, sitting up, facing the boob and just let him try to latch himself with only a bit of gentle guidance, no boob squishing or force-feeding. Have you seen a lactation consultant?

Have you read "Happiest Baby on the Block?" It's really really good.

January 28th, 2012, 9:58 pm #10

I thought about adding the bed rail. But I find that DD just sticks to me like a magnet. She's 5 months now and I suppose that may be changing soon as she becomes more mobile. Did you use the same ones they have for kids' beds?
the mesh kind and my bed is an Ikea bed so I had to be creative about the wood slats where the rails' arms go under the mattress. It was really a perfect arrangement but then when I tried using the same rail (and another) on her bed when I set up a twin in DS' room (small home, "cozy" one might say), sliding the arms between the mattress and the box spring (no legs to the bed, this is a perfect height and besides, no under-bed with lurking monsters) the rail kept sliding out if we put any pressure on it as in rolling into it.
That really bugged me. So I set down pillow on the floor in case she fell out. She did once and didn't wake up.

and yeah, mine stuck to me like a magnet, which is why I'd have to slide the baby over to my other side so that the head didn't get misshapen. I saw it with my DS and became more diligent at flipping over and must have been a pro at it with DD because her head never became asymmetrical --but then she is hard-headed

jm