Accidentally ate unpasteurized yogurt over the weekend...

Accidentally ate unpasteurized yogurt over the weekend...

Erin
Erin

June 25th, 2012, 3:30 pm #1

I feel like such an idiot. My dad brought over a pint-sized tub of this really great locally made Greek yogurt and I ate about 2/3 of it before it occurred to me that it might not be pasteurized. I called today to check and it indeed is not made with pasteurized milk. It's made by a woman from Greece who uses milk from sheep and goats on a farm in Vermont- it's really delicious stuff but now I'm freaked out about the listeriosis risk. And of course I felt mildly flu-like yesterday (symptoms of listeria) but I'm told by the NP at my OB's office that it was too soon to feel the effects (I had only eaten it the day before) and the symptoms don't usually go away in a day (I feel normal today). She also said that listeriosis is very rare, but I'm still nervous. Did anyone else eat an unpasteurized milk product during pregnancy and turn out okay? Anyone have any insider knowledge on how much of a risk this is with goat/sheep yogurt? Thanks so much in advance!

June 25th, 2012, 5:40 pm #2

and while it kind of freaked me out, what could I do.

I think you are fine. If your father brought it to you, maybe he has some at home and ate from the same batch sooner than you did? ask him how he is feeling.

If people got sick all the time from food poisoning, I'd be much more careful but it's really rare for me to hear about someone getting sick and I clung to that and still do.

hang in there, these worries are just the beginning. LOL just kidding, it's not that bad (twitch twitch)
I'll be hoping the milk was fine and will look for an update from you
hug
Julie

Sara H
Sara H

June 25th, 2012, 6:05 pm #3

I feel like such an idiot. My dad brought over a pint-sized tub of this really great locally made Greek yogurt and I ate about 2/3 of it before it occurred to me that it might not be pasteurized. I called today to check and it indeed is not made with pasteurized milk. It's made by a woman from Greece who uses milk from sheep and goats on a farm in Vermont- it's really delicious stuff but now I'm freaked out about the listeriosis risk. And of course I felt mildly flu-like yesterday (symptoms of listeria) but I'm told by the NP at my OB's office that it was too soon to feel the effects (I had only eaten it the day before) and the symptoms don't usually go away in a day (I feel normal today). She also said that listeriosis is very rare, but I'm still nervous. Did anyone else eat an unpasteurized milk product during pregnancy and turn out okay? Anyone have any insider knowledge on how much of a risk this is with goat/sheep yogurt? Thanks so much in advance!
It is rare, though something to watch out for. If was in a batch and your dad is OK and you haven't heard of anyone in your area getting sick I bet you are OK.

Be watchful over the next while i I bet you'll be fine, no worries!

Hugs and take care,
Sara H

Erin
Erin

June 25th, 2012, 6:39 pm #4

I just spoke to the actual woman who makes the yogurt (I spoke to someone at the store who was selling it the first time) and she said it definitely IS pasteurized! I told her I'm pregnant and she promised me that it was and said she couldn't sell it if it wasn't (I kind-of thought that might be the case since my dad bought it in a store, not a farmer's market). So I am at least going to try to act like all is okay... Juliemam- I'm glad I'm not the only one twitching . Thanks again to both of you for chiming in so quickly!

Sara H
Sara H

June 27th, 2012, 1:17 am #5

She said she is almost positive that in the making of yogurt it is brought to a temp above pasteurization level anyway.

Between that and it being very illegal to sell unpasteurized milk that is not massively labeled as unpasteurized I think, as you already said, you are in the clear!

Hope you are still well!
Sara H

NOTE:
For yogurt you have to "Heat the milk to 185ºF"
To Pasteurize Milk: Heat raw milk to 145 degrees F and keep it at that temperature for at least 30 minutes

Erin
Erin

June 27th, 2012, 2:32 pm #6

Thanks so much for asking your mom- how cool that she's a chef! I've sometimes wished I took that path myself instead of the medical one I did, but that's a whole other story . I've felt so much better since finding out the yogurt was pasteurized. My biggest disappointment is that I threw the rest of the delicious yogurt out before I got the good news... bummer. Thanks again and hope you're well too!

Laura
Laura

June 28th, 2012, 1:04 am #7

I'm fine, but oops.

Erin
Erin

June 28th, 2012, 4:31 pm #8

That sounds unpleasant Laura! I hope it wasn't too expired, as that really doesn't sound too tasty .