2nd u/s today. Twins despite SET!

2nd u/s today. Twins despite SET!

sarita
sarita

July 7th, 2011, 1:37 pm #1

So for those of you who are also on the New FSH board you might remember that I agonized over doing a single embryo transfer because I didn't want twins. I ended up doing the SET and feeling pretty good about it. I'm 6 weeks 1 day now and today I saw not one heartbeat but two! Apparently, the little bean split. What are the chances! It was such a shock! The first one is healthy had a strong heartbeat which we could even hear! The second one looked to be about a week behind and had an enlarged yolk sac so my dr said that it probably wouldn't make it. I know it's pretty common to have a disappearing twin. It's also nice to know so I don't freak out completely if I see blood. OMG though, what a crazy ride this is. I'm still shaking. Anyone else have this happen?

Maru
Maru

July 7th, 2011, 2:39 pm #2

Well I'm sorry one of them is not going to make it, but if you really didn't want twins I guess it's better that way.

Congrats on having a strong heartbeat on the other one and hoping for a healthy and happy pregnancy

Tanya
Tanya

July 7th, 2011, 2:44 pm #3

So for those of you who are also on the New FSH board you might remember that I agonized over doing a single embryo transfer because I didn't want twins. I ended up doing the SET and feeling pretty good about it. I'm 6 weeks 1 day now and today I saw not one heartbeat but two! Apparently, the little bean split. What are the chances! It was such a shock! The first one is healthy had a strong heartbeat which we could even hear! The second one looked to be about a week behind and had an enlarged yolk sac so my dr said that it probably wouldn't make it. I know it's pretty common to have a disappearing twin. It's also nice to know so I don't freak out completely if I see blood. OMG though, what a crazy ride this is. I'm still shaking. Anyone else have this happen?
What are the chances!!! I hope everything works out the way you want it, it is so reassuring when you hear the heartbeat!!

JulesM
JulesM

July 7th, 2011, 3:01 pm #4

You must have been in complete shock! I'm am thrilled for you... and I do hope things turn out for the best for you and your DH. Good thing you did stick with the SET though!

sarita
sarita

July 7th, 2011, 3:09 pm #5

I'd be thrilled as long as they were both healthy. It's hard not to root for the little one once you see it on the screen. That being said I trust that my dr is probably right so I'm not holding out hope. I'd also be worried that unless it really catches up and looks normal that there could be problems. I guess we just have to wait and see! We're going to wait one more week before we tell my in-laws. Just hoping that the hb stays strong.

MargieD
MargieD

July 7th, 2011, 3:42 pm #6

That's amazing... so much for being in charge!

Saw your post on the High FSH board... I believe that it would make them identical twins... not fraternal... unless I have words mixed up...

Keep us posted!

July 7th, 2011, 3:49 pm #7

Congratulations! Just seeing the h/b never mind hearing it is such a special moment. I hope everything works out for you.

Bethpky
Bethpky

July 7th, 2011, 4:09 pm #8

They did a SET with Dr. Check. The embryo split, and they're having identical twins! I read that the chances for monoamniotic/monozygotic twins are 1 in 35,000-60,000.

Congratulations and good luck!

sarita
sarita

July 7th, 2011, 5:14 pm #9

That's amazing... so much for being in charge!

Saw your post on the High FSH board... I believe that it would make them identical twins... not fraternal... unless I have words mixed up...

Keep us posted!
I'm in such a daze words are not coming out right!

sarita
sarita

July 7th, 2011, 5:20 pm #10

They did a SET with Dr. Check. The embryo split, and they're having identical twins! I read that the chances for monoamniotic/monozygotic twins are 1 in 35,000-60,000.

Congratulations and good luck!
I can't believe it! We'll have to see if this second one sticks. My dr does not think it will but she also said it was normal for it to be a little behind. The enlarged yolk sac is what really makes her think it's OK. Did your friends notice anything weird at the beginning?
I don't even have symptoms! this is crazy!