Say hello!

June 16th, 2010, 1:24 am #1

So, through some strange twist of fate, you have manged to land on this lovely Precocious message board. Hey, might as well settle in, get involved and be awesome. It beats all other ways of living.

Tell us all about yourself! Who are you? Where are you? What do you do? What are you hopes and dreams? Where'd you get that funky username? Are you creepy? Do you collect human heads? Share whatever stories you want! Well, maybe don't share about the creepy human head thing.

Here, I'll start!

My name is Christopher J Paulsen, Chrispy for short, and I make comics! If you don't know this, you are probably a spambot. As of this post writing, I am living in Winchester, VA - but I shall soon be relocating to Savannah, GA to become a grad student at SCAD! As of this post writing, I am 30 years old - but I shall soon be 25 when I relocate and start lying about my age. (Maybe.) I like sports, modernist art, TV on DVD, new wave music and you. I'm not very fun at parties, but I make up for it by being a dark-humored jerk on the internet. (Wait...) I hope to one day do cartooning for a living, somehow. A lot of that depends on you guys, so go make me rich and famous already!

(I do not collect human heads.)

June 16th, 2010, 9:22 pm #2

I'm Andrew Bean, and I'm a writer, at least by training, and I live in Bel Air MD, though my hometown is Winchester, VA. I'm also the moderator of this board. Chris and I have known each other since high school (so it's been a while- I turn 30 in a couple of months.)
My ultimate goal in live is to teach English lit at the college level, but so far financial considerations have kept me out of graduate school. As far as interests, I'm kind of a weeaboo in that I'm an anime fan, though I'm not that familiar with the stuff that came out in the last five years or so (it's an expensive hobby!). I have a side project with a friend of mine making 3d animation, which can be found at http://www.boolean-union.com/.

-Andrew

My 3d animation project:
www.boolean-union.com

June 17th, 2010, 6:27 pm #3

This is weird, since all of you already know me. So hey! It's Tek! I'm from Martinsburg! Woo!

...no, let's try again...

Hi there! I'm tekaramity. I made this persona up from scratch; my real name is unavailable at this time. I'm an undergrad student desperately seeking to finish an economics degree and subsequently enter the University of Georgetown's economics doctorate program. I live in Martinsburg, WV. Martinsburg is kind of like that annoying 'kid brother' trying to be tough and macho like its elder siblings Winchester and Hagerstown. I'm 25, happily single, and spend too much time online.

I work for the Post Office whenever I can (which is not as often as I'd like). I'm currently learning a few tech skills unpaid: stage design and lighting, video capture and editing, concert/theater 'n' the like. I hope to keep training in these areas even after I enter grad school. I play my PlayStation 2 and DS too often, even after cutting back. Favorite game series include Pokémon, Sonic, Castlevania, Shin Megami Tensei, Mega Man / X / Zero, Metroid, and a maddeningly random smorgasbord of lesser-known JRPGs such as Wild Arms 4 and SaGa Frontier. I very much enjoy the NHL and hockey in general, and I firmly believe that the Detroit Red Wings will rule the day again soon enough.

I like Precocious. A lot. Why? Hm. My favorite newspaper comic strip, by far, was (and seemingly always will be) Calvin and Hobbes. I am therefore rooting for Precocious to become a solid successor; not imitator, but descendant. Almost 600 comics in, it is doing a fine job. *salute~*
~ TekaRainbow Dash: Living the dream. ~

June 17th, 2010, 6:29 pm #4

I think I am one of the first people here, which probably says something about my nature when I get incredibly obsessed with something new. This comic is pretty much what I've been looking for in web comics. Aside from the praise, onto my introduction!

wrote:Who are you?
My first name is Rhianna, I won't give last names or anything since that's too personal but really, you're just going to get a pop star if you look up my name, so, hey. I'm 18 and I'm crazy and kind of a pervert, wanna-be cartoonist and romantic poet, and I'm a self confessed Foodie.
wrote:Where are you?
I'm in Colorado, I used to live in a rural are with my folks but now I'm living with my future mother-in-law and my fiance.
wrote:What do you do?
Unemployed wanna-be cartoonist, hooray! I play games on Steam, read web comics, and I look for some jobs but as it stands I'm probably going to be working at Denny's. I cook and clean sometimes. I start college in September and all I know about my major is that it's going to have something to do with social sciences.
wrote:What are you hopes and dreams?

Long term: I want to make a web comic at some point, get a decent job after college that possibly lets me give insight on people, I want kids in a few years after I get an okay job, I want to get my poetry published, possibly write a novel.
Short term: Although it's kind of quick my fiance and I are shooting to get enough stuff together to get married at the court house in August, I've never tried macarons so I want one, I want to bake some sweet potato fries for dinner.

Fulfilled recently: I finally saw a slug when I was camping in California! I poked it a few times. I also got to see gigantic pine cones and go to Seattle and go yuppie watching!
wrote:Where'd you get that funky username?

I couldn't think of anything and I remembered at least 2 ex-boyfriends called me a "Minx" and I asked my fiance if I was a Minx and he said, "I guess so." I was in between Mink and Minx and a Mink is a otter like weasel thing and although I love swimming I'm by no means slender. So, Minx it is.
wrote:Are you creepy?
Am I?
wrote:Do you collect human heads?
I used to collect Barbie heads, does that count?

June 17th, 2010, 7:10 pm #5

An old English teacher of mine told me to keep it short and sweet so here i go!

Who are you?
Felix
Where are you?
Every where but no where.(NC)
What do you do?
Student making it through high school.
What are my hopes and dreams?
To become a commercial pilot if not become a network engineer.
Where'd you get that funky username?
A long time ago i was sitting in front of a computer thinking of a user name to use for an online video-game. Back then i liked birds a lot so that's where "windbird" came into existence.
Are you creepy?
I could be a lot worse.
Any thing else?
I am very terrible at English.

June 17th, 2010, 8:07 pm #6

Who are you? : Charles_Marker
Where are you? : Ohio, for half the year, Michigan for the other half.
What do you do? : I am a budding Engineer of the Electrical variety.
What are your hopes and dreams? : Well, there's the flying one, and the naked in school one, and the I can't see one....
Where'd you get the funky username? : It's a mix of one of my middle name and an art supply. For those in the know, I first coined it on KOL and it felt fitting.
Are you creepy? : I don't like to think so, but I may be stalking Chrispy online. (It's for Precocious, I swear!)
Anything else? : I speak a touch of French, listen to the Beatles quite a bit, and read a multitude of comics. This happens to be one of my favorites.

June 17th, 2010, 8:27 pm #7

Welcome, everyone!

tekaramity - Woo, locals! I still find it weird to think that Winchester is the "big city" to anyone. I remember my time at Shepherd when my friends there were all happy they were going to the Apple Blossom Mall. Oooooh!

Minx - Cool, another comicker! Head over to the creative endeavors thread and show off your stuff. I'd love to see it! How close are you to launching?

windbird404 - Becoming a pilot? That's awesome. Good luck, man!

Charles_Marker - Oh, hey, KoL. I haven't played that in forever. My account is sitting on a treasure trove of stuff too - but I refuse to give up on it. You never know when one will get the urge again...

June 17th, 2010, 9:01 pm #8

Chrispy wrote:Minx - Cool, another comicker! Head over to the creative endeavors thread and show off your stuff. I'd love to see it! How close are you to launching?
Probably months at the very least away from launching anything. My sketching has gotten a lot better but I'm still learning smooth inking and it takes me lots and lots of sketches to make anything look any good. Any stuff I have digitally available are pretty old ideas and art but I could post them anyway.

I'm also debating concepts, a middle/high school like setting with anthro funny animals? A comic about my life that stars us as humans (or funny animals)? I really haven't decided. I do really cartoony silly things all the time but focusing purely on myself seems like it'd bore people.

June 17th, 2010, 10:03 pm #9

wrote:Tell us all about yourself! Who are you?
The names Dennis, DRB_II for short. No, wait, they're both six characters...

...Anyway...
wrote:Where are you?
Born and raised Chicago suburbs, 24 years later... I'm still there.
wrote:What do you do?
I work for UPS, doing decidedly unsexy things, but, it pays the bills. Barely.

Outside of that, I'm a gamer, computer nerd, audiophile, and gearhead. Having one expensive hobby would be enough for most people. Me, I have four. This may be why work barely pays the bills.
wrote:What are you hopes and dreams?
Numerous. I don't even want to think of how long it'd take to get them all down.
wrote:Where'd you get that funky username?
Well, when I started commenting at Precocious, I used my initials because all my internet aliases are, in a word, long and phenomenally stupid. Okay, that's four words. Anyway, when I finally signed up to comment (because commenting without being signed up is... wrong? I don't know.), my initials were already taken. It happens, but when I find that other guy... *fist shaking*

Anyway, I added a "_II" at the end. This is still less stupid than my other aliases.
wrote:Are you creepy? Do you collect human heads?
Who wants to know?
wrote:Share whatever stories you want! Well, maybe don't share about the creepy human head thing.
I would, but I can't think of any right now, plus I have to go to work. Maybe when I get back... and think of something.

June 18th, 2010, 12:26 am #10

Welcome, DRB_II! I'm a complete failure at being a gamer, computer nerd, audiophile and gearhead - I still believe cars run on magic and coding is the devil's work. This is probably why I have no friends.

You remind me, I should really start a gaming thread. Pokemon players, Starcraft players, Madden players and Modern Warfare players all get along, right?

(Like most threads on this board, I am posting stuff to see what takes off. If they do, they get their own forum. )