Pointer's Way 3 will happen if...

Any new idea or concept on PowerPoint Games? Share and discuss them here!

Pointer's Way 3 will happen if...

FikreesProjects
PowerPoint Elite
FikreesProjects
PowerPoint Elite

21 Mar 2012, 12:02 #1

Hello members,

MohdFikree is here to give you a (maybe) good update.

Pointer's Way 3 will happen IF the next version of Microsoft Office, Office 2015, will be as awesome as the Office 2007. The problem with Office 2010 was that Office 2010's PowerPoint didn't go very well with animations and triggers.

If Office 2015 suffers the same thing as Office 2010 did, then I will stick with Office 2007 and people will have to install Office 2007 to play my games.

See ya!

(-_-)
PowerPoint Guru
(-_-)
PowerPoint Guru

21 Mar 2012, 23:56 #2

Good news!

I also hope that they don't screw up the next PowerPoint software package...
'Live It!' Project

Character Artist/'Idea Generator'

tohlz
PowerPoint Guru
tohlz
PowerPoint Guru

22 Mar 2012, 15:46 #3

I don't get the differences on 2007 vs 2010 animation and triggers. Care to explain specifically? For next version repro test purposes..
Shawn Toh
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP PowerPoint)

PowerPoint Heaven - The Power to Animate
Site: http://pptheaven.mvps.org
Broadcast: http://www.youtube.com/pptheaven
Discussion Board: http://pptheaven.mvps.org/board

(-_-)
PowerPoint Guru
(-_-)
PowerPoint Guru

23 Mar 2012, 01:07 #4

I personally don't like how they dont show the "After Previous" icons anymore, always messes me up when im animating. There's also the new idea to set the amount for "Smooth End" and "Smooth Start" both of which I also hate. (It's a pain for me to animate RIGHT!)

Hence why I HAVE to use it, I really really don't like it. Infact I hate it >:O
'Live It!' Project

CeranBlade
PowerPoint Enthusiast
CeranBlade
PowerPoint Enthusiast

23 Mar 2012, 03:11 #5

2010 made the animations really clumsy.
-You have the right remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted then used against you.

-Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

I know you really want to join some contests.

(-_-)
PowerPoint Guru
(-_-)
PowerPoint Guru

23 Mar 2012, 03:14 #6

CeranBlade @ Mar 23 2012, 03:11 AM wrote: 2010 made the animations really clumsy.
Agreed. O_O
'Live It!' Project

astronaut01
PowerPoint Elite
astronaut01
PowerPoint Elite

23 Mar 2012, 14:22 #7

CeranBlade @ Mar 23 2012, 08:41 AM wrote: 2010 made the animations really clumsy.
I disagree. (I may be the only one who disagrees with this).
PowerPoint 2010 may have removed a few animations but i find it very convenient to apply animations. I haven't yet tested Triggers in PPT 2010 but its improved GUI is far better than 2007 (at least for me).

Callum's Projects
PowerPoint Guru
Callum's Projects
PowerPoint Guru

24 Mar 2012, 14:33 #8

I agree with you astro. I see next to no difference (or clumsiness) between 2007 and 2010; in fact 2010 seems much smoother and more responsive. It also seems to be more accurate when creating time-sensitive animations such as kinetic typographic animations.

The animations that were removed can be replicated too; the internet is full of tutorials for this (some contain many more steps than others).

Having said that, I don't use animation as frequently as those who say it is clumsier, has more lag, and is generally much worse, so they may be correct.

I struggle to see why that would inhibit (re)creation of a game though; it might be a little tedious if you have hundreds of individual animations, but I'm sure it would be doable in a few hours (maybe a day for exceptionally long animations).

Good luck with Pointers' Way anyway Fikree; regardless of what medium it will be presented to us in (or when for that matter!). :)

'Live it!' Project

Project Manager / Lead Developer
[/align]

(-_-)
PowerPoint Guru
(-_-)
PowerPoint Guru

24 Mar 2012, 20:20 #9

The way it edited the swivel bugged me alot, since they added a fade to it, I can't find any other way then using the grow/shrink, but it always gets on my nerve ._.
'Live It!' Project

astronaut01
PowerPoint Elite
astronaut01
PowerPoint Elite

25 Mar 2012, 02:56 #10

Callum wrote:...such as kinetic typographic animations.
:P
Callum wrote:The animations that were removed can be replicated too; the internet is full of tutorials for this (some contain many more steps than others).
Oh yes, it can be. I figured it out long ago when PPT 2010 was released. I made a Slide with an object with Compress entrance animation and then open the PPT file with PPT 2010. Then using the animation painter (i love this tool), I duplicated the animations to other objects and also, it can be customized like the default animations in PPT 2010.
Callum wrote:....as those who say it is clumsier, has more lag, and is generally much worse
I have never experienced this but this depends from user to user.
(-_-) wrote:The way it edited the swivel bugged me alot, since they added a fade to it, I can't find any other way then using the grow/shrink, but it always gets on my nerve ._.
Microsoft cannot always keep with the demands of PPT users like us. :P
You know what i mean.

(-_-)
PowerPoint Guru
(-_-)
PowerPoint Guru

25 Mar 2012, 04:42 #11

True to all those statements, PPT2010 has a better way to 'Simplify' things, thus fewer size, and in general, yes faster.

Oh right, they had more accurate timing, nvm that was actually a GOOD idea xD that animation painter was also REALLY helpful.

When I heard 'Kinetic typographic animations' My first thought that came to mind was music.

(It'd be great if even more Microsoft people could be dedicated to just viewing the website O_O (tohlz is up there in MS right ._.?) )

I do however believe that you can 'Adapt' to the new PPT software. However I just can't do that, I find myself using 2003 alot more then 2010, even though I now have it. They only thing I use 2010 for are the gradients :P, other then that creating custom shapes is really annoying, since there's 'prebuilt' nodes always bugging me around.

Although I have to say, I'd choose 2007 anyday before 2010, but of course my way of doing things is 2003. O_O I thought I would shutup, but I just couldn't ;_; after seeing the statements. What a shame, im doing 'Strong Debate' :(

Also on a side note, I hope 2015 becomes alot more like 2007, with all the new features, and even more features, but the predone noding is not there, and this and that, etc

Also (Geez im still talking!) I'd think that the next 'pointers way' to never even be done in PPT O_O last I saw, it was gonna 'Not-be-in-ppt' or at least planned to. I could see that the limitations got you? Or how flash simplifies things alot once you get to it, and learn it. A 'pointer's way 3' Would be quite fun to play however :D

As for what Callum said (Oh god im tired from writing...) I do get pass '100' animations, the highest i've ever been to was around 200, and it was all on one single slide O_O sadly that was amongst the few glorious PPT's on my lost white patriot USB :(

Well, let's say 'Live It' I could imagine if you ever went to 100, there would be lag, unless you have a very highend computer OR PPT2015 comes out. I'd think there to be ways to fix this with VBA (Or maybe im just putting an excuse that anything can be fixed with VBA :P)

Again, what a shame, im doing 'Debate' :(
'Live It!' Project

Applecot
PowerPoint Elite
Applecot
PowerPoint Elite

25 Mar 2012, 04:50 #12

Just to let you guys know, the next version of Office is probably not gonna be called Office 2015. The 2015 part is confused with the version number of Office (Office 15).

And best of luck with making the next Pointer's Way, Fikree!

Progress: 35%
~
PowerPoint 2010/2011 User

Callum's Projects
PowerPoint Guru
Callum's Projects
PowerPoint Guru

25 Mar 2012, 10:55 #13

(-_-) @ Mar 25 2012, 04:42 AM wrote:
As for what Callum said (Oh god im tired from writing...) I do get pass '100' animations, the highest i've ever been to was around 200, and it was all on one single slide O_O sadly that was amongst the few glorious PPT's on my lost white patriot USB :(

Well, let's say 'Live It' I could imagine if you ever went to 100, there would be lag, unless you have a very highend computer OR PPT2015 comes out. I'd think there to be ways to fix this with VBA (Or maybe im just putting an excuse that anything can be fixed with VBA :P)
VBA is great for animations as it allows you to combine certain animations together so you could have a growing motion path for example, as a single animation. This, in my experience, reduces the lag (may be wrong).

As for 'Live it!', I've considered using ticks. Almost all games use ticks; a tick being a single cycle of one big programmatic loop that advances everything in the game from NPC locations to the in-game time, in small intervals (normally much smaller than a second).

I've never tested this in VBA, and I'm unsure if VBA would be able to handle it as it doesn't seem to be allocated huge amounts of memory.

If I were to use ticks, all animation would be performed as part of each tick; e.g. move the shape 1 right and 1 up every tick until at a certain point would act as a motion path animation.

I suppose I should probably test this sometime, before I get too far into 'Live It!' and its too late to change such a large part of the game engine.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand! ;)

I find that lots of individual animations occurring concurrently (at the same time, or overlapping one another) creates rather substantial amounts of lag. I feel sorry for people with lower-end PCs. PowerPoint used to lag immensely on my old Dell Inspiron 1545; playing Pointers' Way would definitely be impossible as I would lose constantly due to shapes appearing to be in a certain place when really they were in a totally different place, but the graphical representation of the shape hadn't updated.

'Live it!' Project

Project Manager / Lead Developer
[/align]

(-_-)
PowerPoint Guru
(-_-)
PowerPoint Guru

25 Mar 2012, 20:57 #14

Callum's Projects @ Mar 25 2012, 10:55 AM wrote: "...ticks..."
Right, i've seen that in pretty much all game i've experinced on the PC (The really I guess low-graphics intensive games?)

Callum, please go 'Google' up 'Soldat Game' the way they use ticks, is quite useful when they have to use 'bone' movement or whatever. Spriting takes to long, so they gave the char's bones instead (In Soldat) They ticks there in to is unusual...or maybe im just giving you an example of what uses tick's after all :o
'Live It!' Project

FikreesProjects
PowerPoint Elite
FikreesProjects
PowerPoint Elite

26 Mar 2012, 22:15 #15