Wastelands 3 Rulebooks

dicehead
Mutant Hunter
dicehead
Mutant Hunter

April 11th, 2012, 10:08 pm #1

Thanks to the admins for distributing copies, here's some working links for anyone wanting to download the rules.

mattblackgod
Post Apocalyptic Warlord
mattblackgod
Post Apocalyptic Warlord

April 13th, 2012, 1:28 pm #2

Cool! Now we can find it all!

Crazy Joe
Mutant Hunter
Crazy Joe
Mutant Hunter

April 13th, 2012, 2:31 pm #3

Nice! Thanks for linking this all together.

Rad Blight
Wasteland Warrior
Rad Blight
Wasteland Warrior

April 14th, 2012, 7:49 pm #4

Yeah.

dogmrian
Raider

April 15th, 2012, 12:16 am #5

yes, it finally works first time :(|party:
it's good to see these rules haven't died and are continuing to expand
keep up the good work dice head
:pipboy:

Inkwell
Wasteland Legend
Inkwell
Wasteland Legend

April 15th, 2012, 12:30 am #6

Well done! Lots of intresting stuff!

dicehead
Mutant Hunter
dicehead
Mutant Hunter

April 16th, 2012, 10:19 am #7

Cheers, for anyone interested there's going to be a much better but smaller version soon-ish. Here's what's happening with it and why it has a lot more content for a lot less printing!

No factions: Instead choose traits for your gang. Take negative traits to gain more positives. For example Road Warriors could take expert driving, mechanics and expert scouting as well as limited territory and code of honour. This cuts out about a third of the rulebook size and is a whole lot more fun.

Re-Balancing: Units now require upkeep and there's a limit to how many you can have to prevent things becoming too easy later in the campaign.

Simplified Missions and Events: One modular table generates missions, road missions and events. You'll never roll a result that has no effect meaning no wasted campaign turns.

Failed Scouting: A failed scouting roll now means your scouts ran into a patrol and must fight a preliminary battle prior to you deciding if you'll invade. Sending nothing but fodder units out to scout is no longer such a great idea!

There's some other good stuff but these are the bits that I think will make the most difference to the game. I'll be posting up some batreps soon.

tinker
Post Apocalyptic Warlord
tinker
Post Apocalyptic Warlord

April 16th, 2012, 10:55 am #8

Failed Scouting preliminary battling sounds like a pretty good idea... especially for us Solo players :lol:

Crazy Joe
Mutant Hunter
Crazy Joe
Mutant Hunter

April 16th, 2012, 4:23 pm #9

dicehead wrote:Cheers, for anyone interested there's going to be a much better but smaller version soon-ish. Here's what's happening with it and why it has a lot more content for a lot less printing!

No factions: Instead choose traits for your gang. Take negative traits to gain more positives. For example Road Warriors could take expert driving, mechanics and expert scouting as well as limited territory and code of honour. This cuts out about a third of the rulebook size and is a whole lot more fun.

Re-Balancing: Units now require upkeep and there's a limit to how many you can have to prevent things becoming too easy later in the campaign.

Simplified Missions and Events: One modular table generates missions, road missions and events. You'll never roll a result that has no effect meaning no wasted campaign turns.

Failed Scouting: A failed scouting roll now means your scouts ran into a patrol and must fight a preliminary battle prior to you deciding if you'll invade. Sending nothing but fodder units out to scout is no longer such a great idea!

There's some other good stuff but these are the bits that I think will make the most difference to the game. I'll be posting up some batreps soon.
No factions? :'( I kind of liked those. The problem with spending points, is the min/maxer who creates too powerful a force by playing the rules rather than playing the game.

I like the failed scouting idea. Another option for failed scouting might be, "that the scout leads a hostile army right back to the gangs territories".

Hope you keep the upkeep rules simple. One of the things I like about Wastelands is the lack of bookkeeping.

Finally, did you ever make a determination about one Aimed Shot being less viable than two Standard Shots.

dicehead
Mutant Hunter
dicehead
Mutant Hunter

April 16th, 2012, 4:47 pm #10

I think you'll like the replacement for factions, you have much more control over what your gang is like now. Its hard to eliminate people playing the rules but its a much more level playing field with the changes I'm trying out.

There's a chance of what you said with scouting. Basically if you flee from a scouting mission any unit that rolls a 1 is not only killed but leads them straight to a randomly chosen piece of your territory.

Yeah don't worry, I hate having to track a lot of stuff too so the upkeep is dead simple. 1 for a dreg or civ, 3 for the rest, 5 for a hero and 10 for a vehicle. Resource rates have been tweaked to match.

The combat rules haven't really changed. If I've got a powerful weapon I tend to go for aimed shots with it when I can but sometimes I just don't trust my dice luck and prefer two goes at it. Even if you're always better off with two standard shots I still like having the option to go for an aimed shot when it feels right. I'm not sure what the fix would be to it but I'm open to suggestions.