painted 2 Factious Waste minis and 29 zombies

Bobscene
Super Mutant
Bobscene
Super Mutant

April 29th, 2018, 5:41 pm #1

So the start of my scenery and wargame adventures came some 5 years ago.
Looking for a game to play with my then 12 year old son we stumbled upon a Warhammer 40K shop.
Sure enough we bought the big box containing 2 army's : Spacemarines and Cultists; also containing some paint.

It is these paints I used to paint these mini's.
i had little experience in painting minis mainly because I don't very much like doing it and secondly because of my poor eyesight (I am nearsighted - 8).
But lately I can't wear my contact lenses any more and without glasses, being nearsighted , I can see very sharp very close by. if I keep the figure about 4 cm of my eye I can see it very sharp. Only problem painting like this is that I am constantly in the way of the light with my head.

Anyway...VERY HAPPY that I tried it and the way they turned out.
However...I made one big , beginners, mistake.
I was not patient enough to wash the plastic models neither did I wait until I had some plastic primer. I primed the models with a cheap black spray can and the paint now is coming loose when I scratch with my nail !
I tried to fix it with spraying on some Matt fixative (use for charcoal drawings) but this did not help. And when looking at the pictures it is no Matt either. I will buy some mat varnish hope this will help a bit.

I first sticked the models with some doubled sided tape to a cardboard. Then base coated them, some highlight colors, to finish of a brown light wash.

Because there where so many models I did not go into detail to much.

I only did one of these mean big ones.

Here and there I missed a spot, where the black base coat is still visible, but with zombies it does not matter if they have strange spots.
I did not really paint details either, I did not do any belts or jewelry or other details. Hey ! 29 is already a lot to manage..

Zombies really are ideal for learning how to paint models, you can' t mess them up, there's supposed to be messed up !

The 2 Factious Waste models, speed painted also I'm afraid. Still ... more then good enough for my table.

All 29 + 2 of them together.

These are the paints I used. Some of them where already dried out a bit so I had to add some water. Most colors I used I blended myself as to give some variation in color on identical models.

Hope to see them on the game-table soon,
Ciao!

emergencyoverride
Super Mutant

April 29th, 2018, 6:01 pm #2

:pipboy2: Super cool! Too right on zombies supposed to be messed up anyway. I especially like the paint job on the big guy. I also love the background scenery!

mattblackgod
Post Apocalyptic Warlord
mattblackgod
Post Apocalyptic Warlord

April 29th, 2018, 7:14 pm #3

They look great.

tinker
Post Apocalyptic Warlord
tinker
Post Apocalyptic Warlord

April 30th, 2018, 5:41 am #4

Great work! Don't be too concerned, any painting flaws aren't seen at two foot away any how. (I'm saying this to myself as well)

mattblackgod
Post Apocalyptic Warlord
mattblackgod
Post Apocalyptic Warlord

April 30th, 2018, 8:11 pm #5

That’s a good mantra to have.

May 1st, 2018, 5:55 am #6

They look great, bud. I see a lot of "pro-painted" miniatures on eBay that don't look half as good. I use a lighted magnifier and/or a pair of thick reading glasses when I paint, as I am far-sighted. Glad to see you painting minis to populate all that fantastic terrain you produce! Keep it up.

Brummie
Boss Sec Man
Brummie
Boss Sec Man

May 1st, 2018, 6:35 am #7

Cracking looking hordes!

Bobscene
Super Mutant
Bobscene
Super Mutant

May 1st, 2018, 3:43 pm #8

Tanx for the comments gents !

They are not perfect, but as you mentioned, good enough to use on the table.

And you know what ? I did not dislike it, so I probably will be painting the other Z's also.
But this time... be sure to wash and prime them decently first !

i trimmed the edges of the bases a bit.
And gave them a layer of brush on mat acrylic varnish.
This seemed to have helped a bit. They are not as shiny anymore and a bit harder to scratch the paint.

mattblackgod
Post Apocalyptic Warlord
mattblackgod
Post Apocalyptic Warlord

May 1st, 2018, 5:50 pm #9

Zombies! Nice looking rotters sir.

tinker
Post Apocalyptic Warlord
tinker
Post Apocalyptic Warlord

May 1st, 2018, 11:25 pm #10

They're looking good for dead things!