Nephilim

Lofwyr
Mutant
Lofwyr
Mutant

July 26th, 2010, 2:44 pm #1

Well what a wonderful find! I had no idea you folks were here until I stumbled upon your extensive and rather pleasing selection of war bands. I have to be honest my heart skipped a beat when I realized all you folks seemed to drive at was post-apocalyptic settings. How wonderful!

So then, my name is Erin Truitt. I have an extensive gaming background in nearly all imaginable directions and have most recently taken to writing my own games. As of 2008 I did a complete second edition of Mordhiem for a gaming group I played with. After this lengthy and completely fulfilling project I came to realize that the year spent working on this rather large and humbling project was perhaps the best year of my life.

Though fun I have come to understand the faults of this massive and enjoyable game system in my study of it. Taking other game systems and studying them as well I have finally come to the only conclusion I could, I must write my own. That said there’s a number of hurtles that must be passed in each of the stages of life a game such as this will go through.

One of the many stages of sorting out my work is having people who enjoy the setting (it would seem you folks love this setting ;) ) take part in it and give feedback.

I was wondering if it would be acceptable from the standpoint of YOU the reader (and the admin staff of course) for me to place some portions of work on this website for public review. You would be free to both read and criticize to your heart’s content.

My father told me a real friend will tell you the truth, even if it’s not what you’d like to hear. I am hopeing the common sense of anonymity will free you readers, posters, and bloggers to make these kinds of comments, those which are both honest and critical.

Thankyou E

July 26th, 2010, 3:23 pm #2

Well, I suppose we can.... ^o)

Go for it! Welcome aboard. ^_^

v_lazy_dragon
Wasteland Warlord
v_lazy_dragon
Wasteland Warlord

July 26th, 2010, 3:25 pm #3

Welcome to the forum Erin, I'll confer with the Admins but I can't see any problem with it!

dogmrian
Raider

July 26th, 2010, 4:10 pm #4

you have my vote of confidence if it is needed :pipboy:

write away

but a small reminder post apocalypse has a lot of areas and you might not be able to cover them all in one ruleset
Examples: the far future gone sour,present day zombie rush, 1980 post nuclear fallout, back to black powder weapons, back to just melee weapons and bows and arrows. some people have mutants others have different races, some people have psykers and so on and so forth.

not trying to be a wet blanket just pointing out that each person has their own favorite part of the large wasteland that is post apocalypse

Mr. Clean
Wasteland Legend
Mr. Clean
Wasteland Legend

July 26th, 2010, 5:05 pm #5

Welcome!
I'd love to see your work!

Brian

Mal
Road Warrior
Mal
Road Warrior

July 26th, 2010, 6:50 pm #6

A word of advice... when writing a rules set, keep it simple... well that rule works for just about everything, but you get the idea...

Yes Post Apoc is insanely huge, and noone can hope to cover everything, but if your rules are reasonable generic and simple, then adapting them for a theme is really easy...

Take a page from the GW book (yipes I can't believe I just said that!), their core ruleset is exactly the same for ancients (well its changed for 2.0), fantasy and 40k... its even the same set used to write gorkamorka, necromunda, mordhiem, etc etc etc you get the idea...

the core rules haven't changed in about 2 decades, there has been a lot of extras added to them which makes some aspect very complicated, but the defining aspect of armies, themes, forces, etc is actually done in the codex.

Im not saying you should write a codex for each theme, mabey a small suppliment, but with a simple and generic core ruleset (which is all you need) its easy to adapt... and it'll save you a lot of work trying to make everything fit and work together.

Ohh and welcome :p

Rad Blight
Wasteland Warrior
Rad Blight
Wasteland Warrior

July 26th, 2010, 6:57 pm #7

Hello.

Hollander
Wasteland Warrior
Hollander
Wasteland Warrior

July 26th, 2010, 7:38 pm #8

:coffee: Welcome, :hi:
I think there is about 1000 years of gaming experience in this forum and it's all focused on life after the ... you name it ..
This bunch will probably have gamed it. :coffee:

About being honest even when it hurts.

I'm Dutch. The Dutch have a reputation to be direct, blunt and to the point without being emotional about it. So bring on the rules :read: and we'll see what happens.. :ruleslawyer: .

:cheers:

YOU asked for it.. :tease:

Lofwyr
Mutant
Lofwyr
Mutant

July 26th, 2010, 8:49 pm #9

An excellent response, it would seem that the host of you are going to be better at this then I could have ever dreamed!! Thank you for your unabashed responses, I hope to see these opinions put to good use in the weeks to come.

Let’s be honest, if I want to make a product that has value and merit all of itself I can’t possibly rely on existing themes. So then let’s take a step back from your lists and suggestions. Rather than attempting to match or emulate those mighty titans of the aftermath such as Gamma World, let us instead head in our own direction.

Charging forward into melee my mercenary landed pummeling blows on the buckler of a Marienberger. Blow after blow I couldn’t seem to penetrate his superior weapon skill. To his rear came my Halfling cook, pots and pans swinging wildly I, in my early ignorance of the game, naturally assumed a pan to back of his skull would surely break this dead-locked melee. Unfortunately due to the rules of the game the Marienburger was allowed to simply swivel in place, dispatch my sneaky rear assault and then return to his combat with my mercenary. Needless to say this is but a single taste of a completely unfulfilling feast which was Mordhiem.

Standing at the forefront of the battle my great warlord “Fleshfeast”, bellowed to his subjects crying for blood. Much to my shagrin I again found my choice of action, though intuitive to an actual battle, completely wrong. My grand warlord stationed amongst a clutch of scavvy watched as two of my melee scouts fell fast against a massive and fearsome pit fighter. As a result of my skirmishers falling so quickly in combat I was forced to make a leadership test, which I failed, and retreated from the battle only minutes after setting up the game board. Should I be given no control over my warlord at least? Is it realistic to retreat from combat after losing mere pawns in a greater plan? I feel that my filthy and wicked scavvy lord would have seen these men gored and wasted as an acceptable loss and perhaps, given his nature, bellowed in laughter at their passing.

On and on we could go with examples of the GAME defining tactics; counter-intuitive methods of fighting battles forced by rules systems that stifle and control the method of play.

Of course rules have their place on the battlefield, without range guns would seem far less realistic. Without a weapon skill how would one express the great talents of a fighter?

What I bring to the table is this, simple intuitive control of combat. If a man is shot he should reflect this wound in his actions. If I fire my last bullet (one should think they’d be a lot harder to come by) then I should ready my tire-iron for melee. And lastly should I make the decision to fight or flee then this decision should be based on the truth of battle, how many of my men’s lives is victory worth?

As we explore the story and rules of my world I would ask you, at every turn, to use your imaginations and ask “Why?”.

I will post again tomorrow July 27th.
Thankyou E

Mr. Clean
Wasteland Legend
Mr. Clean
Wasteland Legend

July 27th, 2010, 2:54 am #10

But as Mal said "keep it simple" thats the hard part.

Brian