Interstate '76

strangelove
Wastelander
strangelove
Wastelander

January 26th, 2010, 7:51 pm #1

Anyone ever play Interstate '76? It was a game of road combat set in America during a cataclysmic oil crisis. It came out in 1997 so the graphics are pretty basic but it had a lot of style and used cel shaded graphics to good effect. One of the best things about it was the way you could drive a huge variety of vehicles and mount whatever weapons you wanted, at the expense of speed and control.

Just wondered if anyone else had fond memories of this one? Definitely due a remake.

Interstate 76 trailer

v_lazy_dragon
Wasteland Warlord
v_lazy_dragon
Wasteland Warlord

January 26th, 2010, 8:19 pm #2

I've never even heard of it I'm afraid! I like the trailer though, it looks suitably cheesy but fun!

kfc v lot
Road Warrior
kfc v lot
Road Warrior

January 26th, 2010, 8:38 pm #3

Wow that trailer was brilliant in a cheesey way..

tinker
Post Apocalyptic Warlord
tinker
Post Apocalyptic Warlord

January 26th, 2010, 11:14 pm #4

http://www.interstate76.com/ there is always a community :lol:

Lost Wanderer
Coldheart

January 27th, 2010, 6:34 pm #5

I only ever played this one as a rental. Anyone here played the Twisted Metal series? It's a vehicle combat series with souped up cars and bizzare characters competing in a sort of demolition derby, blowing each other up as well as much of the battleground (you could destroy the Eiffel Tower in one game).

Mal
Road Warrior
Mal
Road Warrior

January 27th, 2010, 6:48 pm #6

I played one of the twisted metal games... its good for killing an hour or 2 in meaningless automotive violence and insanity... so alls good

Ironblood
Cannie!

January 27th, 2010, 7:38 pm #7

I sadly never played I76. I do remember seeing that video on some game demo disk, might have been pc gamer or something similar. Back then I was more into phantasmagoria, shivers, obsidian and myst type of games. Shortly after that, I fell in love with fallout.

the twisted metal series however i did play quite a bit of on playstation and ps2.

Hollander
Wasteland Warrior
Hollander
Wasteland Warrior

January 27th, 2010, 8:56 pm #8

:coffee: I played it. Start to end and back again. It captured the roar of road combat* . Nice different handling cars, good control, believable fysics, excellent combat. Good choice of weapons. Excellent sound effects: The roar of the V8, the Woosh of rockets, the clunk of bricks being dropped on the road. Radio chatter The car design screen.. the crazy jumps. that game had ATMOSPHERE. not even an UFO could break that.

great replayability too.

maybe GOG.com will look after it.

I even played it online. never played the '80's sequel.

(*My experience of that however is limited to an occaisonal fit of road rage. My wife keeps intervening when I load bricks in the dropper and drain the weedkiller from the spraygun to fill it with gasoline)

Crazy Joe
Mutant Hunter
Crazy Joe
Mutant Hunter

January 28th, 2010, 4:07 am #9

I played it and loved it. I wish they would do an update.

mattblackgod
Post Apocalyptic Warlord
mattblackgod
Post Apocalyptic Warlord

January 29th, 2010, 4:00 pm #10

I played it and the sequel. Great fun.