Hi All. What scale?

fumanchu
Ghoul

July 28th, 2010, 8:14 pm #1

Hi All,

I'm returning to gaming after a long hiatus, and really want to start post-apoc again. Used to play Dark Future and Battlecars but sold the lot. I am having the devil of a job deciding to play with 20mm figs using Hot Wheels and converted WW2 bikes, or going for 28mm and some Ramshackle bikes. Gotta have bikes! Whats everyones preference? What are the Ramshackle bikes like in the flesh? Oh, and is anyone around the Notts area and up for a game?

Cheers all,

Si.

tinker
Post Apocalyptic Warlord
tinker
Post Apocalyptic Warlord

July 28th, 2010, 8:33 pm #2

First off, welcome to the Wastelands! I recommend you head over to the Bar and introduce yourself.

Everyone has a different opinion regarding scale, but there is a new game in production that might interest you if ya decide to continue in 20mm http://www.aberrantgames.com/warlands.html

mattblackgod
Post Apocalyptic Warlord
mattblackgod
Post Apocalyptic Warlord

July 28th, 2010, 9:50 pm #3

Welcome to the wastelands....I am a 28mm man myself. Here are my thoughts:

28mm has lots of nice minis to use. Plenty of terrain available. GW stuff is handy for conversions. Vehicles can be a bit limited but 1/43 cars fit nicely. Plenty of cheap toys to convert. 1/48 kits and 1/35 kits can be used or cannibalised, but they can be pricey. Ramshackle bikes are nearer 30-32mm so might be a bit big, try the Westwind roadrage line as they are true 28's.

20mm is limited PA wise for figures but has great availability for vehicles in the form of Hotwheels cars and 1/76 military kits.

15mm has fantastic amount of mini lines out there (I am tempted to go 15mm!). The size improves storage. Terrain is available too from the military side. Easier to paint too. Vehicles can be difficult to find.

Mal
Road Warrior
Mal
Road Warrior

July 28th, 2010, 11:22 pm #4

Personally im a 28mm kinda man... I have considered moving to 20mm when I got offered a massive load of dark future in trade... but already having 2 completed (painted and based) gangs with vehicles and a stack more waiting to paint (got a 3rd almost done... ofc its 3 times the size :p ) I declined the trade.

Still if I had to start from scratch... i'd go 28mm, if nothing else its easier to find parts for conversions.

Banana Tyrant
Super Mutant
Banana Tyrant
Super Mutant

July 29th, 2010, 12:40 am #5

28mm does offer the greatest possibilities for the twisted, mutated brain of the post apoc gamer.
It may be more expensive, but since most PA gaming is skirmish you should manage to keep the bill reasonable - unless you get seriously addicted to the genre, that is.

Mr. Clean
Wasteland Legend
Mr. Clean
Wasteland Legend

July 29th, 2010, 3:26 am #6

28mm!Nuf said!

Oh and welcome!

Brian

Digitarii
Wastelander
Digitarii
Wastelander

July 29th, 2010, 4:43 am #7

28mm. God's own scale.

Amen.

Welcome to the Apocalypse after party.

RavenFeast
Mutant Hunter
RavenFeast
Mutant Hunter

July 29th, 2010, 6:25 am #8

I play 28mm because the detail was there and it's what I've been collecting since back when it was called 25mm some thirty-odd years ago. Also it's easier for my old eyes to see what a figure is.

It has also been discussed here:
http://s1.zetaboards.com/Post_Apoc_Warg ... 1671684/1/

v_lazy_dragon
Wasteland Warlord
v_lazy_dragon
Wasteland Warlord

July 29th, 2010, 8:10 am #9

Welcome onboard!

I'm another 28mm bod, although if I was to do it all again I'd be tempted by 20mm. I guess it really depends on the sort of setting you want to go for - Near future/Sci fi/fallout style then 28's are the way to go, but for Modern apocalypses I'd consider 20mm - if nothing else because there are a fair number of 20mm modern, vietnam and ultra modern ranges out there and being a bit smaller you have a bit more freedom to mix. Vehicles are readily available and you can aquire model railway scenery cheaply.

Carrakon
Raider

July 29th, 2010, 10:52 am #10

28mm, baby - the chicks dig it too! Indeed I overheard a conversation the other day between two girls and one was telling the other about someone playing in 15mm. The other said "15mm?! That's like totally not cool. 28mm is hot!" True story.

In my opinion the main reason for 20 or 15mm is storage space and/or transportation.