Vampifan
Super Mutant
Vampifan
Super Mutant

July 29th, 2010, 4:01 pm #11

Hi, Fumanchu. How odd that your profile portrait looks more like Evel Knieval than the glorious Fumanchu!

Anyway, welcome aboard. In my opinion, 28mm is the scale to choose. You'll find a far greater range of choice in this scale than any other. I'd agree with Carrakon that 15mm and/or 20mm are only worth considering if you're pushed for space.

Rad Blight
Wasteland Warrior
Rad Blight
Wasteland Warrior

July 29th, 2010, 4:17 pm #12

Welcome.

I'm a 28mm man also, mainly for the reasons already stated. My PA background/setting is much more Gamma World than Mad Max so finding muties etc can be tricky in the smaller scales.

I did have a large Dark Future collection at one point and if you're into vehicle combat then 20mm is the way to go.

That said, there is some very nice 15mm stuff about and I've been tempted on more than one occasion.

Confused... Me?. :dizzy:

consectari
Merc

July 29th, 2010, 4:56 pm #13

I use 28mm-ish because that's what I was introduced to first. If I had the choice now, I'd be hard pressed to choose between 15mm & 28mm.

There's a ton of great PA and Sci Fi stuff out in 15mm now. WWII & other genres can be pressed into PA service too. You can also have some truly huge mutated beasts for cheap by just using 28mm critters.

The only thing that might make me choose 28mm again, would be convertability. There are countless heads and weapons available for 28mm converting, not to mention the plastic sets. Plastic makes it even easier to use fantasy, ancient, and WWII minis in a PA setting. It would be a tough choice to make. I'd probably go insane(er).

Edit:
There's also the fact that you can store nearly twice the amount of 15mm terrain as 28mm terrain.

tinker
Post Apocalyptic Warlord
tinker
Post Apocalyptic Warlord

July 29th, 2010, 5:53 pm #14

Where are our 15mm users hiding out here in the wastelands, I know they're out there?

Most of my miniatures are in heroic 28mm. Some in standard 28mm (those being my Celts and Romans). I have a collection of 20mm -1/72 ACW. And several hundred 18mm paper flats (paper allows ya to create any era or your own designs quick, easy and somewhat cheaply). There are no 15mm miniatures in my collection though the idea of building up a large ACW North South army has been bouncing around in my head for a few years.

dexter
Wastelander
dexter
Wastelander

July 30th, 2010, 10:37 pm #15

There are also plenty of cheap toy cars and trucks that can be used in PA games in 28mm. So you dont have any real limitations apart from your table size,
Dex

ps Its worth checking out Westwinds range of bikes

mgentile7
Vault Dweller
mgentile7
Vault Dweller

July 31st, 2010, 1:16 am #16

Just my 2 cents. There are plenty of 28mm and 1/72 minis these days to last all of us a life time. I think it boils down to what kind of investment do you wish to make. 1/72 stuff is generally cheaper, easier to store, transport, etc. And yet i have none of it and model in 28mm exclusively. So now that were all confused my main point is, whats your budget like, then make a scale decision after you have that resolved. Again just my 2 cents.

Digitarii
Wastelander
Digitarii
Wastelander

July 31st, 2010, 3:03 am #17

As I said, 28mm is God's own Scale. You also have to ask what you're going to be playing. If you're planning on playing small gangs, 28mm might be the way to go. If you want armies, 15mm might be a better choice.

Carrakon
Raider

July 31st, 2010, 10:38 am #18

Digitarii is spot on: 15mm is god's gift to the big battle enthusiast (20mm is a bit in between without a role - if yu want small, I'd advise 15mm. if you want bigger - 28!). In skirmishes 28 is king. Look at it this way: In a skirmish system you grow a close bond to your dudes and dudettes - pretty much like a character from your RPG. Now you might want to make a conversion here and there, change the paint job a little from time to time, etc - all by far easier in 28mm AND more rewarding, as people will notice even small things.

DAWGIE
Mutant Slayer
DAWGIE
Mutant Slayer

July 31st, 2010, 4:38 pm #19

BUT. . . I THOUGHT. . . YOU. . . WERE . . .DEAD!

EITHER THAT OR FUMANCHU HAS MASTERED A NEW DISGUISE!

28MM, GOD'S OWN TRUE SCALE, IS THE WAY TO GO WITH SKIRMISH GAMES!

DAWGIE

mattblackgod
Post Apocalyptic Warlord
mattblackgod
Post Apocalyptic Warlord

August 2nd, 2010, 6:49 pm #20

wrote:unless you get seriously addicted to the genre, that is.
Whats that BT? A bit like me? :D