Car Wars

Ninjamonkey73
Raider

June 19th, 2010, 2:51 am #1

In addition to getting all my comic books back from my parents' house, I also got all my old gaming stuff! The part I was the most excited about was the Car Wars Deluxe Edition, the Dueltrack supplement, and the first two Uncle Albert's Catalogs!!!

I guess SJG updated the rules a few times (the most recent was 5.0 I think) so I'm wondering if it's legal for me to post rules from the old, discontinued products.

The first project I undertook was making all the vehicles from "Mad Max." Everything from the Toecutter's gang's motorcycles to the Pursuit Special. Can't wait to smash them up LOL.

I know I've seen Car Wars threads... so, who here still plays? What rules do you use?

tinker
Post Apocalyptic Warlord
tinker
Post Apocalyptic Warlord

June 19th, 2010, 6:40 pm #2

I've never played Car Wars , but thought I might Like to from time to time, but after scouring the 'net I came up empty for rules... therefore I would think the Steve Jackson might have the GW lawyers on retainer :)

Note: I looked for these rules a while back before I learned of a few tricks to find hidden rule treasures, so, the ancient rules might be found posted somewhere.

Ironblood
Cannie!

June 19th, 2010, 6:41 pm #3

I still play every great once in a while. I used the compendium that came in the boxed "delux" edition that had like 4-5 random suplements tossed in. I picked it up in the mid to late 90s iirc. dont have it at hand to check what exact version.

Rad Blight
Wasteland Warrior
Rad Blight
Wasteland Warrior

June 20th, 2010, 12:53 pm #4

I got the Delux edition as a wedding present :) . A group of us used to play it a lot but I doubt its been out of the loft in a decade. Sad really, I always liked the game as did the Shortgirl who was the luckiest player I've ever met.

Ninjamonkey73
Raider

June 20th, 2010, 7:42 pm #5

I found a torrent that has pretty much every Car Wars product ever printed. The 2037 catalog is missing (if there was a 2037 catalog? I only had 2035 and 2036, and the torrent includes 2038 and 2039) but it has all the basic goodies: the Road Atlases, the Vehicle Guides, etc.

I'm about to do a practice game, simulating the opening chase from Mad Max. The March Hare is in pursuit of the Nightrider in his stolen Pursuit Special, and Big Bopper is coming up hard from an on-ramp on the right-hand side of the road. Roop wants to blast the Nightrider with a Shotgun, but Charlie is chattering excitedly about ramming him.

What do you figure is a good starting speed? All these vehicles have a Handling Class of 2, so they're safe up to 160 MPH as long as there's no maneuvering or road hazards... but by present calculations, all the MFP vehicles (including Goose's bike, but excluding Max's Interceptor) all top out at 150 MPH.

Should I assume they're at 150 MPH, and that the Nightrider is simply toying with them by not going faster? (He can hit 172 if he wants to push it)

If they're doing any kind of maneuvering, they have to be at 100 MPH or slower in order to remain Safe... and that only allows for two D1 maneuvers: Light Drift or Light Swerve. If they want to do any D3 maneuvers, they have to be at 60 MPH or slower to remain Safe!!!

(Safe means you don't need to make a Control Roll to see if you Crash. Of course, none of these drivers seem to be very Safe except Scuttle, who just goes in a straight line the whole time LOL! So maybe the March Hare really is tached-out at 150...)

Mr. Clean
Wasteland Legend
Mr. Clean
Wasteland Legend

June 21st, 2010, 4:23 am #6

I love 1st ed Car Wars! I'm workin' on a CR 3.0 and Little Wars hybrid set of rules to run in September. 1/35 scale cars,45 by 10 feet of drive way and 12 cars battlein' it out.I CAN'T WAIT! *my wife is now sure i'm a total dork.*

Brian

tinker
Post Apocalyptic Warlord
tinker
Post Apocalyptic Warlord

June 21st, 2010, 4:52 am #7

Ya gotta love the reactions to our gaming by the women in our lives. Does your wife refer to your miniatures as "Your little army guys?" Mine does. Just to egg me on into a defensive rant describing each specific model and what they are, their species, and details of how I intend to use them.

She does support my hobby though, so I can't be too harsh about her "Head Games". :)

Mr. Clean
Wasteland Legend
Mr. Clean
Wasteland Legend

June 21st, 2010, 5:03 am #8

She's a gamer as much as I am but teases about having 6 to 12 players in a Car Wars game on our drive way for the world to see.

She will love it!

Brian

Crazy Joe
Mutant Hunter
Crazy Joe
Mutant Hunter

June 22nd, 2010, 11:18 pm #9

Recently SJG had a listing for the old Car Wars in PDF form at their website, but I can’t find it. They are still selling Car Wars rule books.

http://www.warehouse23.com/info/carwars.html

SJG is pretty lenient about letting people post vehicle descriptions and alternate rule sets, but they are one of the first to jump on websites that openly post replicas of their rules.

That said Car Wars is one of my favorite games and I have posted many alternate rules on my website.

http://myweb.cableone.net/manycubes/

Mr. Clean
Wasteland Legend
Mr. Clean
Wasteland Legend

June 23rd, 2010, 2:49 am #10

I have died many glorious and not so glorious deaths in the Dunbar Double Drum Arena.Good times!

Brian