Ninjamonkey73
Raider

June 26th, 2010, 6:11 pm #11

I'm working on a sort of alternate Car Wars setting in which there are no electric power plants... it's all internal combustion. This makes power plants much more expensive -- and bigger -- but they don't weight nearly as much, and they tend to be more powerful. Acceleration tends to be higher, although Top Speed is sometimes unimpressive with heavier vehicles.

I'm also "banning" all dropped weapons except Smokescreens and Drop Spike Plates. In official dueling arenas, these weapons can cause expensive, lasting damage to the dueling surface... and on the open roads, they pose an undue hazard for other drivers as well as causing expensive highway repairs.

Note that these weapons could potentially be obtained through illegal means, but they are absolutely forbidden in AADA-sanctioned events, and vehicles using such weapons on the open roads faces impoundment of his or her vehicle, and/or Summary Vehicular Capital Punishment (death by cop cars.)

The only other items that are not available are Lasers and laser accessories... except the targeting Laser. You can have those, if you really want to pump money into a "cheap" Rocket system instead of just buying a better weapon LOL. All other Laser Weapons are unavailable; the technology simply doesn't exist to make vehicular-sized Lasers with sufficient power to fire more than one shot without draining the vehicle's power completely.

I've made about six designs each (including variant models) for Division 5 and Division 10. Working on Division 15, but the designs aren't coming as quickly now that there are more items available LOL.

A couple examples:

THE BEETLE

Based on the pre-war car of the same name, the Division 5 Beetle is a solid, reliable, dependable dueling vehicle for entry-level drivers. It's not fast, and it handles like a brick, but it has a highly accurate weapon system with a high ammunition capacity, as well as an Armor rating unsurpassed by any vehicle in its division. The Beetle wins battles by conserving its ammunition and outlasting its opponents, finishing them off when they're crippled and/or out of ammo.

Subcompact, Light Chassis, Light Suspension, 50 cu. in. Engine, 4-Gallon Economy Tank, 4 Standard Tires, Driver with Body Armor, Front-firing Machinegun with 20 shots and a Single-Weapon Computer, 94 points of Plastic Armor: F30, R18, L18, B18, T8, U2. Total Cost = $4994, Total Weight = 2068 lbs. Acceleration = 5 , Top Speed = 75 MPH, Handling Class = 1, Cargo Capacity = 2 lbs, 2 Spaces.

THE SUPER BEETLE

Comfortable with the overall look and feel of the Beetle, but ready to move up to Division Ten? The Super Beetle is perfect for you! Featuring a heavier Chassis, better Suspension, a bigger Engine, tougher Tires and slightly more Armor, it sports not one but TWO Machineguns, and it's even Turbocharged for better Acceleration at higher speeds.

Subcompact, Heavy Chassis, Improved Suspension, 100 cu. in. Engine, 5-Gallon Heavy Duty Tank, 4 Heavy Duty Tires, Driver only, 2 (Linked) Front-firing Machineguns with 20 shots each, Targeting Computer, Turbocharger, Rear-firing Smoke Discharger, 100 points of Plastic Armor: F31, R19, L19, B19, T9, U3. Total Cost = $9990, Total Weight= 2525 lbs. Handling Class = 2, Acceleration = 10 (15 at speeds of 40 MPH or greater) Top Speed = 85 MPH, Range = 250 miles, Cargo Capacity = 5 lbs, 0 spaces.

Ninjamonkey73
Raider

June 26th, 2010, 6:58 pm #12

Oh... and according to what I see on the official SJG Car Wars Page http://www.sjgames.com/car-wars/books/ all of the rules I'm using are out of print and not available for purchase. They're just selling the "5.0" stuff now, which uses a different scale, a different movement key and doesn't have vehicle construction rules. If they're not selling the 1984+1985 rules, and they're out of print...?

When does Public Domain kick in? LOL

Ninjamonkey73
Raider

January 6th, 2011, 8:05 am #13

I've done a half-dozen vehicle designs for each division now, 5-30. :)

tikiphantom
Tribal Savage
tikiphantom
Tribal Savage

July 7th, 2011, 12:31 am #14

Most the all the rules and expansions and Autoduel Quarterlys are up for download.

http://e23.sjgames.com/search.html?gsys=Car%20Wars

bosky
Ghoul
bosky
Ghoul

August 2nd, 2011, 9:21 pm #15

Totally still playing when I can! I bought their most recent Compendium PDF (which was terrific quality) but I mainly play v5.0. That's the version meant for Hot Wheels scale, and to get into it you basically buy the starter set which comes with a few vehicles, a turning key, counters, and the rules. Luckily my local hobby shop had the rules in stock still so I eagerly bought those bad boys up.
Definitely a fun game and a lot simpler than people expect. I've taught it to half a dozen people so far and everyone has loved driving cars around and exploding violently.
Anyways I have a bunch of pictures up from games I played at my house if you're interested http://www.flickr.com/photos/sunny-highway/sets/, like:

bosky
Ghoul
bosky
Ghoul

August 2nd, 2011, 9:23 pm #16

Oh and I totally forgot to say I wrote some Car Wars fan fiction (haha...yeah) for Nanowrimo last year. I went for a cheesy, pulpy feel (to mirror Car Wars itself), which is why you should read the summary in a baritone announcer's voice:

The year is 2041 and fortress towns jealously guard vast algae farms. Between the lone bastions of civilization are the burning wastes. The new frontier of danger, excitement, and riches is home to…the highway cowboys.
Their steel mounts are souped up cars and semi-trucks loaded with an array of machine guns, missile launchers, and flaming oil. Whether looting and pillaging or defending the meek, their driving exploits are loved by all.

Our tale focuses on the adventures of three heroes of the road:
Sunny Miller, a skilled up-and-coming autoduelist with a quick smile and quicker trigger finger. Will his experience in the muddy derby pits help him survive the untamed highways?
Worn out and beaten down by the world, Preacher Pike is a man on the edge. Having replaced faith in the good book with faith in a good gun has kept him alive this long. Will his suicidal tendencies finally catch up to him?
The lovely Sassy Sass, a working girl with a heart of gold. Driving passengers between towns in her armored taxi pays the bills, and couriering illegal drugs keeps her in the lap of luxury.

When a critical job to carry a package across America drags these unlikely and unwilling companions together, an explosive rush of high octane excitement follows!

Full 50,000 word story: Highway Cowboys fanfiction

Mr. Clean
Wasteland Legend
Mr. Clean
Wasteland Legend

August 2nd, 2011, 11:17 pm #17

Great stuff Bosky!

Why dont you go to the bar and tell us a little about yourself?

Oh, and welcome.

Brian

tikiphantom
Tribal Savage
tikiphantom
Tribal Savage

July 3rd, 2013, 2:55 am #18

Here's the link for the Car Wars rules for PDF download.http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG30-7142

RavenFeast
Mutant Hunter
RavenFeast
Mutant Hunter

July 3rd, 2013, 4:55 am #19

One of the fellows from the club runs a Hotwheels/Matchbox scale Car Wars arena game every now and then.

Skullhamma
Coldheart
Skullhamma
Coldheart

July 3rd, 2013, 12:01 pm #20

Sounds too tempting... may give it a try. :)