Car War or Warlands?

tikiphantom
Tribal Savage
tikiphantom
Tribal Savage

November 3rd, 2011, 11:21 pm #1

Ok, I was wondering what everyone thought? Is Car Wars a better game with all it's resources or is Warlands with it's figures and cinamatic rules?

Crazy Joe
Mutant Hunter
Crazy Joe
Mutant Hunter

November 4th, 2011, 5:12 pm #2

I love Car Wars, and have written many articles around using it as a Post Apocalyptic Wargame/RPG. (Shameless plug - Which you can find here: http://myweb.cableone.net/manycubes/games.htm)

That said, the base rule system is 30 years old and was never designed to accommodate ease of play. The old rule system covers movement and combat second by second with handling, speed, damage, ammo use, etc… charted and tracked for every vehicle and figure in the combat. The scale allows for large numbers of forces per side, but the bookkeeping doesn’t.

SJG cobbled rules to it over its 30 year life time, but their focus was on adding new vehicles, arenas, and info on their own timeline.

The new Car Wars rule system is designed to be less cumbersome, but in its present form it is nothing more than some basic combat rules for pregenerated vehicles. Everything else has been stripped out.
I have not played Warlands so I can’t comment on it.

tinker
Post Apocalyptic Warlord
tinker
Post Apocalyptic Warlord

November 5th, 2011, 1:29 am #3

If your interested here is a generic Car Combat I found on the web...
Road_Warriors.doc (51.5 KiB)

Ironblood
Cannie!

November 5th, 2011, 7:22 pm #4

I LOVED playing carwars a lot back when i was younger, with the cardboard counters, micromachines and hotwheels. carwars is more rules heavy but has a LOT more depth and customisation possibility and character advancement/campaign style setup. the one thing that really is a downer for carwars imo is the ammount of record keeping and the turn key makes playing on 3d terrain a bit of a pita at times

Warlands is a lot faster paced, and easier to pickup and play a game. the rules are simple enough to keep the pace moving without being overly simple to the point of being boring. there is not as much depth in warlands as there is in carwars yet, but it seems that they are working on adding content when they can fit it in, being a small company who's owners work full time jobes aside from the game dev.

I recently tried to play Carwars again a year or so ago and had a bad case of "wow i dont remember this game being so horrible". I guess my tastes in gaming have changed since i was younger, but i found it clunky, cumbersome and all arround boring to play when i tried it this time. Constantly flipping through the compendium to find things and working the turning key made us go meh and quit after about 3-4 rounds. Warlands on the other hand I enjoy quite a bit more, even if it is a bit limited when placed beside carwars.

tikiphantom
Tribal Savage
tikiphantom
Tribal Savage

November 5th, 2011, 10:31 pm #5

Hmmm, thanks for the advice. I thought the same thing about Car Wars. I just got 5ed and it was still too slow. It took forever to get rid of an rival cars. I hope Warlands get some more customization. I want to get the rules to try them out.

tikiphantom
Tribal Savage
tikiphantom
Tribal Savage

November 5th, 2011, 10:33 pm #6

Tinker, thanks for the rules. I like the easy of game play.

tikiphantom
Tribal Savage
tikiphantom
Tribal Savage

November 8th, 2011, 5:11 am #7

Ironblood, what is game do you play the most now?

Ironblood
Cannie!

November 9th, 2011, 12:17 pm #8

between the two, warlands all the way. I've still got my carwars compendium, but we never play that anymore.

bosky
Ghoul
bosky
Ghoul

November 22nd, 2011, 4:16 pm #9

I'm surprised you still find Car Wars 5th edition to be slow. Maybe it depends on the cars, but I find a person can knock out a game in under an hour. I know one rule I've used in the past to speed up play is allowing firing every phase, instead of once per turn. So basically you get to fire 3 times instead of 1 time, which helps speed up damage and cut down on the feel of "jousting" (where both cars circle and circle and shoot once and then circle some more).

Also you might be interested in Outrider (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/68504/outrider) which seemed like a good mix of simplicity and modern rules. I think that's probably the best one of the new crop of vehicular combat.

tikiphantom
Tribal Savage
tikiphantom
Tribal Savage

December 1st, 2011, 6:41 am #10

Tinker, thanks for the free game. I've been playing it alot now. I added some cars and weapons to the mix. It's a blast.