Other Radio 1 DJs

Chat about music TV in here, apart from TOTP.

Other Radio 1 DJs

Davido
Advanced Member
Davido
Advanced Member

04 Jun 2016, 13:32 #1

I don't know if this has been suggested earlier:

Just an idea I thought to run and this site may be good to:

I thought it would be a good idea to publish a book on the other DJs radio 1 had, who never made it into the mainstream - may have got a good stand in here and there, but were always eclipsed by the superstars around them.

Book would feature interviews and reminisces as well as what went wrong and opinions on the other DJs.

Could feature ones such as:

David Gregory - stood in for Blackburn at breakfast in 1972-3
Mark Page - got stuck on weekend earlies for 4 years, and according to Genome hardly got many stand-in opportunities.
Graham Bannerman - Blind Date's our Graham had a short spell
Phil Kennedy - respected ex-Virgin and regional broadcaster had spell in 1985
Ian Brass - westcountrian
Annemarie Gray - remember she was quite good
Gary King - nearly man of early 90s;
Jenny Costello - West Midlands lady 1990-91, didn't get many stand ins; replaced by a Paul McKenna who quit Dj-ing for hypnosis.

Also Pat Sharp, who bounced back on commercial and did some TOTP while at R1

And Paul Jordan, who did TOTP - was he as bad as all the negative things I hear about him; don't remember him on Radio 1 - seen TOTP intros an I'm not convinced...

If I had the time and money I'd love to start putting this interesting book? together if a good idea...

Project Inferno
Advanced Member
Project Inferno
Advanced Member

08 Jun 2016, 23:57 #2

Does anyone know why Paul Burnett ended up doing so few TOTPs.
Compared to most presenters of 70s he really seemed to do very few.
Was it just there was so many other DJs doing it he just got the odd show?.
The only one I remember him doing that was on BBC 4 was a 79 episode.
He may have done one or two others in the year or two before that. B)

Davido
Advanced Member
Davido
Advanced Member

15 Jul 2016, 19:42 #3

I agree I could never understand why Paul Burnett did so few - been mentioned on this site he was Radio 1's forgotten man.

He may have been balding, could be a blunderbuss on the radio and not be in your face like his DJ colleagues - but he knew and cared about the music and that went for New Wave too. Should've done far more TOTP.

Dis 3 in 1974 - was to be 4 but he didn't make December one so DLT stood in. Then did 1 a year from 1976 - 79.

He championed some good new music on his shows - I think "Lines" by The Planets was one.

Always gains extra credibility with me as it was rumoured he, Jensen and Peel waited in car park to bear master Bates up, only he never showed.