Wolff spring kit

1:04 AM - Aug 01, 2016 #1

What Wolff spring kit should I get for my distinguished 686?
I run all federal primers

5:11 AM - Aug 01, 2016 #2

None, get a quality trigger job done.

1:34 PM - Aug 01, 2016 #3

You can experiment with rebound springs to lighten your DA. I bought the pack with various weights and ended up using the 14#. I've never messed with a main spring but if you keep researching, especially on the S&W forums, you'll find some good info.

2:07 PM - Aug 01, 2016 #4

I have put Wolff competition springs in four of my S&W revolvers with good results. I have replaced the main springs and rebound springs. In all but one I used the lightest rebound spring that comes with the kit. In two of the four it was a simple drop in process with no light hits on any of my factory or reloaded loads. On two of my revolvers I got light hits on about half of my factory loads and reloads. So I researched and ended up buying set screws to replace the main spring screws so I could get more tension on the main spring. I then adjusted the set screw as necessary until I wasn't getting light hits. I bought the set screws at Ace Hardware. I forget the size but be sure to get the long ones so you can have maximum adjustment. Once the set screws are where you want them put some blue thread lock on the set screw.

I would put in the lightest rebound spring and see how it felt under rapid DA dry firing. On one of my revolvers the light rebound spring seemed to cause the "reset to not quite reset" so I put in the next higher spring and it felt good. Once I had these in there was no comparison to a factory trigger. The factory triggers were off scale on my trigger gauge (I am guessing 14 lbs plus in DA). After the Wolff springs and adjustments they measure around 8 to 9 lbs and feel much better.

1:30 AM - Aug 08, 2016 #5

hmmmm, you did say distinguished. I'm pretty certain replacing the strain screw with set screws won't past muster with an official if spotted. of course, YMMV

Jim C

11:07 AM - Aug 08, 2016 #6

All firearms are allowed to have action work to make the trigger crisper and or smoother.

2:53 AM - Aug 10, 2016 #7

well, although they have relaxed the PPC distinguished revolver rules over the years, there is still this to consider..

3.18Equipment in General:
All devices or equipment that may facilitate shooting and are not mentioned in these Rules, or are contrary to the spirit of these Rules and Regulations, are forbidden. The Tournament Director, Referee, Three Member Jury Chairman, or Tournament Supervisor shall have the right to examine a competitor’s equipment or apparel. The responsibility shall be upon the competitor to submit questionable equipment and apparel for official inspection and approval in sufficient time prior to the beginning of a Tournament so that it will not inconvenience either the competitor or the official.

3:42 AM - Aug 10, 2016 #8

We all have to submit our distinguished guns before the match to have the triggers weighed and other than that nobody makes too much issue about the equipment

12:43 AM - Aug 11, 2016 #9

yep, that's true, and often someone gets nailed for something that falls in that gray area. you pay your money and take your chances.

6:44 PM - Aug 15, 2016 #10

MURRAY Charlton is going to put my new sight on and tune my trigger for me