Them Border Patrol people. What do they use?

Them Border Patrol people. What do they use?

September 9th, 2016, 6:41 am #1

This will be my first Regionals and Nationals. Looking at the past years results those Border Patrol people are making top numbers. I was wondering what pistols they use and ammo?

Production, Stock, Distinguished?

Atlanta Arms ammo? AMU?

I've been eyeing the XD mod2 5" for production and stock.

Thanks in advance.

Currently My 50yd looks like a 12G @ 100! EEESH!

September 9th, 2016, 6:53 pm #2

I am not USBP but met a few of their team members past an present. So here is what I have gleaned: First here is a link:https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2015/12/ ... rt-vadasz/
You can search for more. Most of the top guys shoot 1911s or S&W PPC9s for Open and distinguished. I have seen a lot of Springfield 1911s for Service semi and some S&W 952s. Springfield Ultras are popular for off duty. All in 9 mm. Not sure about service revolvers probably a mix of K and L frame S&Ws. Distinguished revolvers tend to be Model 14s with some 586s or 686s. Open Revolvers are from all the good custom shops Mojo and others. Hope this helps.

Todd

September 11th, 2016, 6:12 pm #3

This will be my first Regionals and Nationals. Looking at the past years results those Border Patrol people are making top numbers. I was wondering what pistols they use and ammo?

Atlanta Arms ammo? AMU?

Thanks in advance.

I know most of the usbp guys pretty well. They all use chromized 1911 5 and 6 inch 9mm guns. They also use Springfield ultra compact and emp for off duty. I know rob Vadasz has an xdm 4.5 barrel for production and would have advised a national record or did score one... Not sure. I strongly believe you can give those guys any customized gun and they will kill the X ring. They use Atlanta arms 9mm 115gr hp as well as federal.

I have an xd mod 2 3.5 inch back up gun and I love. That is a good choice.

Their revolvers are of course Smith and wessons.

Good luck at npsc. A team mate of mine from the Tampa PD team will be there this year.

Shoot tight.

January 17th, 2017, 8:57 pm #4

What do they run for open revolvers ?

January 18th, 2017, 5:33 pm #5

Most of them are using Bob Jones custom revolvers. Bob Jones made a bunch of guns years ago for the team and they are still using them. In my opinion the premier builder now for revolvers is Joe leinenger of mojo custom guns. I have a bull barreled 6 inch model 10 I shoot for the revolver open class. Look him up. Hope this helps.

hlg3
hlg3

April 7th, 2017, 2:51 am #6

Atlanta Arms ammo? AMU?

Thanks in advance.

They use Atlanta Arms 9mm XTP HP and 38 special 148 wc and 158 swc ammo. You might see a little bit of OLD stock Remington 148 wc they have left. The newer Remington supposedly does not work consistantly, the bullets break up. Atlanta is not selling the BP wadcutter load to the masses this year. As for pistols they use a combo of Tanakas and Springfields, with a few wild cards thrown in for the Open and Distinguished SA guns. The distinguished gun has to be from a recognized manufacturer, not just a gunsmith assembling parts made by others. I have seen many guns with a Caspian slide or frame not signed off by the refs. Stock they use mostly Springfields, a mix of custom 5" guns and accurized Loaded and Range Officer models. Production they are all over the map, HK, Springfield, FN. BP does not buy them any production guns to shoot, so it is personal preference. Springfield showed a "production" qualified XD last year, I do not remember which model, or if it was a 4.5" or 5" gun. It had a trigger job, and a match barrel, and was hand tuned. Deb said it would shoot 1.5" or less at 25 yards, and my experience with her is she is conservative with those numbers. With the new production sight rules you can use several types of sights as long as you do not have to modify the slide, and they are on the NRA list. I have heard rumor of a "production" Distinguished match.