questions

June 4th, 2009, 7:31 pm #1

I've been away from the PPC game for a long time but plan on starting up again and have a few questions on equipment.
1, Is it legal to moonclip a gum for competition?
2, Would a CR-Speed holster be legal?
3, Where are matches being held in the Southwest, namely Nevada,Arizona, So. California and UTah?
4, What proof do you need to provide to show retired LE?
5, Where can my civilian friends shoot?

PPC Ken
PPC Ken

June 10th, 2009, 6:07 pm #2

Will try to answer some of your questions. As far as I know Moon-clips are legal. The CR holster is definitely legal for the open classes (as long as the trigger is COMPLETELY covered by the holster) not sure if ok for the duty/undercover guns. Probably ok for Distinguish pistol/revolver. Good luck on finding matches for your civilian buddies. I am a civilian - in the Kansas City area we have two matches a month open to civilians. I know Nebraska and St. Louis have PPC matches but they are closed to civilians - yet the organizers complain about lack of participation - go figure. The Rocky Mountain Nationals (sorta like a mini-NPSC) are being held at the Whittington Center (Raton, NM) in Mid-July. Wonderful atmosphere, wonderful folks, and civilians are allowed. Whittington is probably closer to southern Utah for you than for me from KC. Good luck. ken

June 10th, 2009, 6:23 pm #3

Thanks for the reply, I was starting to wonder if anyonee was on this forum.

Larry45
Larry45

July 26th, 2009, 4:09 am #4

Check out the California Police pistol Association (CPPA) webite for their schedule.
Nevada Police/Fire games 8/16-17/09 I think those are the shooting dates.

November 27th, 2009, 6:53 pm #5

I've been away from the PPC game for a long time but plan on starting up again and have a few questions on equipment.
3, Where are matches being held in the Southwest, namely Nevada,Arizona, So. California and UTah?
Hi... I'm in Colorado and for the last couple of years I've been toying with the idea of getting back into PPC. I used to shoot with the HPD team out of Honolulu, Hawaii... last comp was Police Olympics in Las Vegas back in 19?? Anyway sounds like you're in the same boat with similar interest. I'm too old to do the "run and shoot" stuff like the young uns and I still have some of my equipment... so I'm looking for people with similar interest. Ping me at my email address if the spirit moves you.
Steve

Larry45
Larry45

December 1st, 2009, 3:37 pm #6

LVMPD is now holding monthly PPC matches at their range.
www.nvpolicepistolassn.com for more info.
As far as civilian participation, the NRA is looking in that direction to breathe new life into the sport. Contact them and express your support.

PPC ken
PPC ken

December 1st, 2009, 7:38 pm #7

For Steve and Larry - Gina Hernandez (our new PPC National Ladies Champ gina.hernandez@dhs.gov) a nice lady and very good shooter has been holding matches at the Whittington Center the last couple of years. Also, the Rocky Mountain Nationals are held there every summer in July - 4 days of shooting and about as much fun and shooting as I can stand. Robert Butler has been the contact for the RMN's but he has retired and I have lost his personal email. If anybody out there has it, please post. Over the past several years, several of ya'all from Colorado have posted looking for places to shoot PPC - get together and hold your own matches - they do not have to be sanctioned. We do that here in KC and get 20-25 shooters a month - with about 1/3 being women!

Larry - as far as NRA letting us civilians in, I cannot hold my breath that long. Have tried to talk with LEAD and that appears to be a dead end. Does not appear that NRA is trying to grow PPC as the numbers keep declining. Many PPC events other than "the big show" will allow civilians to shoot. Our matches only have 2 or 3 LE - the rest are civilians. We keep trying. Good luck to you both.

Larry45
Larry45

December 2nd, 2009, 6:10 pm #8

Thanks Ken, no reason the NRA couldn't make a civilian division for PPC for crying out loud.
Maybe we should ask the membership how they feel about the idea. Las Vegas police and fire games lets civilian employees of PD and FD's shoot, that's a start. Of course I'm the fireman that shoots But as an Arson Inv. I get to play both sides of the fence.
Maybe the CPPA might step up. Of course cops always run the risk of being out shot by the civilians and I suspect that's why the NRA has protected the sport. Just look at the growth spurt when semi-autos were recognized. Revolvers are dying out but I see new semi-auto participants,especially in Distinguished and Service.
I'll keep up the pressure, I think it's worthwhile, otherwise PPC is doomed in the next decade or so I'm afraid or it will be strictly a Border/Highway Patrol event...lol

PPC Ken
PPC Ken

December 2nd, 2009, 7:12 pm #9

Larry, you know, I have to give those LE that I have shot with/against all the credit in the world. I have NEVER been made to feel like it was a them vs. us thing. People like John Poole, Jeff Morrison, Gina Hernandez and Robert Vadez have helped me more than I think they realize and I never felt like I was putting them out by asking questions. And although I will never be able to shoot like them (it's an age thing), they all have helped me "step up my game".

My biggest thanks have to go to Dorcia Meador who really made me feel welcome when I stopped by the Rocky Mtn. Nat's in 2004 when I was just looking around Whittington. She took some time with me and actually encouraged this civilian to come play with them - I have shot there every summer since. ken

December 3rd, 2009, 7:15 am #10

Just want to thank you all for the information... sounds like other that attending the RM nationals once a year, we will have to do our own thing. I might try contacting LVPD and see if they will let me in since I shot in their olympics that one year.

Thanks again and if you come up with any other ideas or hear from anyone here in CO that would like to get together... please let me know.

Steve