Questions regarding Bill Davis revolver

Questions regarding Bill Davis revolver

April 14th, 2016, 2:36 am #1

Hello all,

I am sorry to hear of Mr. Davis' passing.

I found this pistol in a local shop and the sales guy thought the work was done by a local smith even though the barrel is marked Bill Davis Custom.

I would like to have a true Bill Davis gun where the work was done in his shop. Could you guys please take a look at this gun and let me know if it looks like a real Bill Davis gun.

Also, I prefer iron sights. Would it be fairly simple and not a huge expense to have the traditional rib installed with the adjustable front sight?

The finish is parkerized or something similar.

Thank you,
Dave

April 15th, 2016, 12:08 pm #2

Since no one has responded I will tell you what I know. What you have is probably a bullseye gun built to accept a red dot sight. They are allowed in bullseye but not ppc. Apparently Bill Davis manufactures barrels and sold them to anyone. They are accurate barrels so I am not surprised to se one on a bullseye gun. So probably a local smith built your gun up for bullseye with a Bill Davis barrel. It looks like you could bet a ppc type rib sight on your gun. I recently had my rib sight changed out for the latest style by a local smith for $190 including the cost of the sight FYI.

April 15th, 2016, 2:54 pm #3

Hello all,

I found this pistol in a local shop and the sales guy thought the work was done by a local smith even though the barrel is marked Bill Davis Custom.

I would like to have a true Bill Davis gun where the work was done in his shop. Could you guys please take a look at this gun and let me know if it looks like a real Bill Davis gun.

Also, I prefer iron sights. Would it be fairly simple and not a huge expense to have the traditional rib installed with the adjustable front sight?

Thank you,
Dave

Gun may have been a PPC gun that someone milled the side,although it could have been done at our shop at Bill Davis as well. Trigger stop is one we started putting in some guns in the late 80's or early 90's so likely a Davis gun. If you look on the front of the frame with your cylinder and yoke open you may see initials stamped there. Several of our gunsmiths stamped their initials there as they were paid on completed guns. If so I may be able to assist with gunsmith I.D. If done at Bill Davis it likely will be drilled and tapped for both front and rear adjustable Aristocrat Products sight ribs. The Bill Davis front adjustable rib however was discontinued a couple years ago. The rear adjust is available however and should bolt right on if built at Bill Davis Service Center. Let me know if I can help. JPE

April 16th, 2016, 8:59 am #4

I appreciate the replies very much.

Last weekend a range officer brought in his Bill Davis PPC gun to the range at Koko Head (Honolulu) and it blew me away. It was perfect in every way. The balance, the sight picture, the trigger...wow. I offered to buy it but he said he won too many matches with it to sell.

Anyway, I'm going to pass on this particular gun in the photos.

I'm going to hit Phil up again to sell me his. I'll pay him whatever he wants and even bring ammo for him. He can shoot it, I'll clean it. Better than having it in the safe

Thanks again,
Dave

April 17th, 2016, 6:53 pm #5

I don't think it was original as a Bullseye gun. If it were, I'd think they'd have left the S.A capabilities in place. Anyway, I believe Davis built ribbed guns had the rib milled into the barrel? At least I believe the windmaster did.

Aristocrat lower rib with detent. wonder if it also has the ball detent?

April 17th, 2016, 8:15 pm #6

Jim,
If I recall correctly all Bill's PPC guns did not have the integral rib set into the bbl until he came out with the Windmaster post Nationals in Des Moines. This could very well be a Davis comp. gun set up for maybe action matches. With the bobbed hammer and trigger stop don't think it was a bulls eye gun. The yoke lock underlug(no ball detent I can recall) and adjustable trigger stop were some of his keynote features. His original rib made for him(I believe)by Aristocrat Sight Co. was the front adjustable model for the three sight settings.B0-Mars were the mainstay till then. I remember(JPE correct me if wrong)his guns came out right at time or right after Nationals came to Pearl Mississippi, from Bloomington Indiana(attended but did not shoot unfortunately). I know for sure they were at first Nationals I shot in at Jackson and in high demand. Austin Behlert showed up with some neat innovations along with Jim Clark Sr.

April 17th, 2016, 8:50 pm #7

Hello all,

Thank you,
Dave

It looks like it was used for Action Pistol. The slot on the top just in front of the cylinder was possibly used for barricade wings and the rear has the picatinny due to the sight was mounted back there. That's what it looks like. John Pride used Bill Davis guns all the time so he might be able to weigh in if anyone knows his email.

April 19th, 2016, 3:49 pm #8

Thanks for the reply Moose. However, I'm going to pass on the gun. It's not the most attractive with the finish and I think can do better if I am patient.
Take care,
Dave

April 20th, 2016, 11:11 pm #9

Yes, it does look like it was setup for a "games" gun.

Dave Fitzgerald
Dave Fitzgerald

April 24th, 2016, 8:00 am #10

I'm pretty stoked. Phil said he would sell me his revolver. He won a lot of matches with it out here in Hawaii. Pretty cool to know the owner and history of the gun.

So, here's my new Bill Davis revolver. It weighed in at 3lbs 8oz. Does it look like a standard build? It is based on a model 15 snub nose that Phil sent in for the work.