PPC9 barrel rumor

PPC9 barrel rumor

July 27th, 2016, 7:03 pm #1

I've heard some rumors regarding the PPC9 guns. A guy is saying "lots" of guys had to send back the barrels from wearing out early?????? Both 6 & 5 inch guns.

Any truth to this???? Both of mine still shoot fine and I've got a lot of rounds down range with them.

Unregistered Member
Unregistered Member

July 27th, 2016, 11:47 pm #2

BARRELS DIDN'T WEAR OUT. THE BUSHING NEEDS TO BE REPLACED. I HAD IT DONE. ACCURACY RETURNED TO LIKE NEW WITH A SIMPLE BUSHING CHANGE. JP

July 29th, 2016, 1:24 pm #3

I've heard some rumors regarding the PPC9 guns. A guy is saying "lots" of guys had to send back the barrels from wearing out early?????? Both 6 & 5 inch guns.

Any truth to this???? Both of mine still shoot fine and I've got a lot of rounds down range with them.
I'm sure it's different for every barrel. The proof is in the pudding. If yours is still shooting good then i bet you have a good barrel. I've heard the same thing about schuemann barrel.

Unregistered Member
Unregistered Member

July 29th, 2016, 3:05 pm #4

I agree 100%, but on another gun board, some guy was trying to say it was almost like an epidemic with PPC9 barrels. This was the first I had heard of this so I thought I would check to see if I was just missing the issue. I know at least another dozen shooters who have them, and no one has returned their guns or barrels.

Unregistered Member
Unregistered Member

July 29th, 2016, 4:37 pm #5

I'm sure it's different for every barrel. The proof is in the pudding. If yours is still shooting good then i bet you have a good barrel. I've heard the same thing about schuemann barrel.
It's just on another gun board, some guy making statements that I've never heard before. So figured I'd check with other shooters.
I know at least a dozen other guys with PPC9 guns and no one has sent anything back.

August 1st, 2016, 3:07 pm #6

My guns are working just fine. We have a local gun board and a fellow was saying he has heard of "many" PPC9 pistols have barrel failure, whatever that meant, and the guns/barrels had to be returned to S&W.

I'm calling BS, but thought I would check here to see if anyone has heard of any gun or barrel needing to be returned to S&W????

Unregistered Member
Unregistered Member

August 2nd, 2016, 12:01 am #7

YES ,I'VE SENT MY PPC9 BACK TO S&W BECAUSE IT LOST IT'S ABILITY TO HOLD A GROUP AT 50YDS. WHEN THEY GOT IT, I RECEIVED A CALL FROM JOHN SEYFERT. WHAT THEY FOUND WAS THE BUSHING HAD LOST IT'S HOLD ON THE BARREL. THEY (S&W) POLISHED THE EXTERIOR OF THE BARREL. THE EXTERIOR OF THE BARREL DID HAVE A LOT OF WEAR ON IT. AND THEY REPLACED THE BARREL BUSHING ( JUST THE TITANIUM NITRIDE INSERT)AND RETURNED THE GUN. PLACED BACK INTO THE RANSOM REST THE GUN FIRED A GROUP LESS THAN HALF THE SIZE OF BEFORE THE REFIT ( X-RING GROUP).

PS I'VE GOT THE RANSOM REST INSERTS FOR SALE. JP

August 2nd, 2016, 5:54 pm #8

My guns are working just fine. We have a local gun board and a fellow was saying he has heard of "many" PPC9 pistols have barrel failure, whatever that meant, and the guns/barrels had to be returned to S&W.

I'm calling BS, but thought I would check here to see if anyone has heard of any gun or barrel needing to be returned to S&W????
Last year at NPSC I met a shooter from a Sheriff's office. The office had a PPC9 that was returned to S&W for some repair. S&W said they did not have the part so they sent them a new 1911 Pro as replacement. I have not heard of any other guns having problems esp barrels. So I call BS. I had a ppc9 with no problems.

August 6th, 2016, 2:36 pm #9

YES EVEN THE S&W PPC 9'S NEED WORK EVERY NOW AND THAN. MINE AFTER ABOUT 15K ROUNDS THE GROUP OPENED UP GREATLY. I SENT IT BACK TO THE PC. JOHN SEYFERT CALLED ME AND FOUND THE FOLLOWING THE "TIN" BUSHING WAS WORN OUT. THEY POLISHED THE EXTERIOR OF THE BARREL, INSTALLED A NEW "TIN" BUSHING OF THE PROPER SIZE AND SENT IT BACK. I THAN RANSOM REST TESTED IT AT 50 YDS AND EVERYTHING WAS IN THE X-RING. THAT LITTLE AMOUNT OF WORK SHRUNK THE GROUP BY OVER HALF.

P.S. I HAVE THE RANSOM REST INSERTS FOR SALE IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED. JP

August 8th, 2016, 8:02 pm #10

Are you speaking of the Briley type bushing at the muzzle? If so, mine is what appears to be brass.

I understand every gun type in the world may require work at some time, but this fellow was trying to sound like this was an epidemic of issues with the PPC9.