open semi-auto

March 5th, 2017, 7:50 pm #1

looking to purchase a semi-auto for the open semi-auto, any advice on what gun to look for... and which one's to stay away from

March 5th, 2017, 10:26 pm #2

Look at the Springfield Armory Range Officers.
Then send them to a Bullseye gunsmith to be worked into a precision instrument.

March 6th, 2017, 1:51 pm #3

When I was at Nationals the last couple years the hot ticket was a Springfield Custom 6 inch 9mm. The catalog name is distinguished. But that does not mean much as you can get a distinguished made however you want. I also saw 6 inch guns in 9 mm from other smiths. Almost everyone got them in spec to shoot distinguished and open. Then big difference being no full rib sight for distinguished. I also saw a couple PPC9s. I have a SA distinguished 6 inch in 9 mm and love it. It did take about 500 rounds to fully break it in. And last I heard the SA Custom shop is backed up pretty far. If you call Deb and tell her you are LE shooting PPC she might be able to help with the backlog issue.

March 6th, 2017, 5:10 pm #4

looking to purchase a semi-auto for the open semi-auto, any advice on what gun to look for... and which one's to stay away from
Depending on your budget, I've got a open PPC 6", built by Thomas Bullock in Jackson. Let me know if you are interested........

March 6th, 2017, 8:25 pm #5

Check out Accuracy X™, Inc. and their videos. Aint cheap though

March 6th, 2017, 10:55 pm #6

http://kcskustomcreations.com/

CALL KC CRAWFORD. RETIRED MARINE CORP ARMORER. BUILDS GREAT 1911 GUNS. JIM P

hlg3
hlg3

April 7th, 2017, 2:37 am #7

If you want separate open and distinguished guns, You can get a number of well made full custom open guns. If you want to save a bit of $$$ you can buy a 6" SA with the separate front and rear Aristocrat sights instead of a ribbed sight. STI TargetMaster is a very popular starter gun. The most popular is probably Springfield, they are great with their customer service, especially at NPSC.

May 25th, 2017, 1:35 am #8

http://kcskustomcreations.com/

CALL KC CRAWFORD. RETIRED MARINE CORP ARMORER. BUILDS GREAT 1911 GUNS. JIM P
Seriously look at the STI TargetMaster. A second choice would be the STI RangeMaster.
Next is the superb CZ Shadow2. Really...