Off Duty pistol recommendations?

Off Duty pistol recommendations?

October 14th, 2015, 10:22 pm #1

What are you guys using for Match 15? I've used my Kimber Ultra .45ACP for the past couple years just because that's what I had to fit the bill, but I just don't seem to do as well as I think I should or could be. Or should I spend more time developing loads for it? I've tried various 185-200gr loads but at 25 yards things seem to fall apart on me. So I was curious what other guys are using.

October 15th, 2015, 4:08 pm #2

Just my opinion, but for out of box accuracy and reasonable price, the Springfield RO compact in 9mm(if quality control has remained same).

October 23rd, 2015, 4:12 pm #3

Thanks JB but the 4" barrel on the compact RO would be too long per the 3.6" rule. Anyone have any experience with the Glock 43 vs SA EMP vs Mod2 vs ??

September 25th, 2016, 12:59 pm #4

What are you guys using for Match 15? I've used my Kimber Ultra .45ACP for the past couple years just because that's what I had to fit the bill, but I just don't seem to do as well as I think I should or could be. Or should I spend more time developing loads for it? I've tried various 185-200gr loads but at 25 yards things seem to fall apart on me. So I was curious what other guys are using.
So did anyone have any updates this year for their off duty gun? Im thinking about picking up a Springfield mod2 for next year.

September 25th, 2016, 1:00 pm #5

So did anyone have any updates this year for their off duty gun? Im thinking about picking up a Springfield mod2 for next year.

September 25th, 2016, 2:43 pm #6

I use a Springfield EMP in 9mm. It shoots great, though a little hard to hold onto with the short grip on it. But if you concentrate and do what you are supposed to do, this little gun will do it for you. It is amazing how accurate it is.

I did talk with Deb Else, the custom shop coordinator, at the nationals this year. She has asked management to let them build some custom shop Ultra Compacts in 9mm this coming year. She said she doesn't know if the management will allow them to do that or not, just wait until I hear something from her. This Ultra Compact will give you the longer grip length while keeping the barrel within the rules. I am sure it will be expensive coming from the custom shop, but in my opinion well worth it. The new EMP 4 unfortunately has to long of a barrel to qualify though it has the longer grip length that feels so good to shoot. And I am told by Deb NOT to put my original EMP slide and barrel on the frame of the EMP 4, and the custom shop won't modify my two pistols for me.

Another shooter was/is using a Kimber Micro Compact? in 9mm and did very well with that. It had a longer grip length to it that might be more comfortable to shoot. And you might be able to find one of those around. I have been checking for the Springfield Ultra Compact and the only ones around are in 45ACP.

So if any one has a Springfield custom shop Ultra Compact in 9mm, I am interested in buying it.
my email address is: tonyjmiller@frontiernet.net

Thanks.

Toddcfii
Toddcfii

September 26th, 2016, 11:43 am #7

I use a Springfield Ultra. I am able to score Expert with it in practice. I am sure the gun is capable of better. I have seen quite a few of them on the line at NPSC. I have also seen a few 2.5 inch 586s and 686s. There were some other guns used for off duty but not sure what. But I think the consensus is those two guns work best within the rules. You can find a used Springfield Ultra on Gunbroker occasionally. Keep looking. I have a 2.5 inch 686 for sale with holster and action work for $650 if interested.