neck hold at 25?

February 9th, 2010, 9:25 am #1

I was reading in a post from 2008 where ppcken mentioned a neck hold at 25yds. How popular is this? Are people doing it dependent upon eyesight or is it done by most? Thanks for the info, I need any edge I can get in this sport!! As you can tell by two posts in one night, not very many bookings in jail tonight:)

PPC Ken
PPC Ken

February 9th, 2010, 4:53 pm #2

I hope we get many responses to this post - I use the neck-hold at 25 (especially for the Quick 6) because 1) I am 64 years old, wear glasses, and have a somewhat hard time decerning the "X" at that distance (and this is especially true on rainy/heavy overcast days), 2) unless your shots are exactly in the "X" they may tend to be to one side or the other, then you start chasing the group right out of the "X" ring and maybe into the ten ring or worse. And 3) my "neck hold" is actually the brownish/whiteish line denoting the 7 ring at the base of the neck - for me this gives a much more defined aiming point (when I can hold the firearm steady enough)! For the Quick 6 I tend to move the front sight more into the middle of the neck because I tend to pull my shots down when I shoot very quickly (and this helps compensate for that) and also the front sight exactly covers the width of the neck at 25 yards - again helping with a much more definite aim point. Cannot wait to try out my new 6" Distinguish pistol with these new tricks - that's a joke and a jab! Good luck, ken

JB Custom Leather
JB Custom Leather

February 10th, 2010, 1:49 am #3

I was reading in a post from 2008 where ppcken mentioned a neck hold at 25yds. How popular is this? Are people doing it dependent upon eyesight or is it done by most? Thanks for the info, I need any edge I can get in this sport!! As you can tell by two posts in one night, not very many bookings in jail tonight:)
Hope I can be of some help here. Ken has some really good points here. I, like him am a little aged(going on 72)and have hard time with seeing what I want to at the 25 yard line. Like most of the more mature shooters use glasses to see sights better, and target becomes a blurr, should be anyway with good sight picture(thats right aint it?)Neck gives you good reference point, however one problem arises with some shooters. Have a tendency to try and get too pretty and run out of time. However you can work on this and overcome.Also, trying to get too perfect can cause you to grab the trigger too. Best thing is to try and experiment and use what is most comfortable and gives you best target. For me the neck hold is best,particularly for the match 2. Guys that can shoot point usally will shoot more X's if their group starts out dead center. As Ken indicated you will chase your group because you can usually see it. Hope this helps,just my humble opinion.

February 10th, 2010, 8:06 am #4

thanks so far. I am 30yrs old and have pretty good eye sight. I have been wondering though on that neck hold because when you get to shooting at 25, its to hard and time consuming to put your sights dead center and shoot. I mean, your kinda guessing and hoping your aiming at the x when shooting center of mass. I had never thought of a neck hold at 25 and will definately give it a try this spring. I would guess the front sight post on the aristocrat rib is a set thickness which would center up well with the neck, but if it dont, which thickness do you use to match up with the neck. I know when i used my stock match kimber last year at npsc I wasnt happy with my skinny front sight post and wide notch on my rear sight. I definately want to get that changed this year for duty match. My sheriffs revolver that i borrowed was perfect on front sight thickness, I suppose i could just measure that if I dont get replys, but yeah, curious to hear other view points on 25 yrd aiming.

PPC Ken
PPC Ken

February 10th, 2010, 4:23 pm #5

OK this may sound naive, but I also have Aristocrat ribs and sights on my pistols and "figured" that they know better than me what I need for sight thickness, etc. So, I have never checked them. I like the Aristocrat ribs so much that, on my open revolvers, I changed out the Wichita rib (too many darn little screws) for Aristocrats. ken

JB Custom Leather
JB Custom Leather

February 10th, 2010, 5:04 pm #6

Per your last post the front sight on the Aristocrat mikes out at .140. Note it has a slight flair to it to help eliminate glare and false picture(real good idea).
As Ken states Aristocrat when they designed this front sight it was with the intention to use for PPC. The make a front sight with a smaller width too for bulls eye shooting, but harder to use for the PPC type shooting. If you can see it and hold it though it will help shooter tighter groups at the 50. Tried it and went back to the PPC sight, but you might like it. Thats what I mean, need to experiment and use what works best for you. Hope this helps.

JB Custom Leather
JB Custom Leather

February 10th, 2010, 5:04 pm #7

OK this may sound naive, but I also have Aristocrat ribs and sights on my pistols and "figured" that they know better than me what I need for sight thickness, etc. So, I have never checked them. I like the Aristocrat ribs so much that, on my open revolvers, I changed out the Wichita rib (too many darn little screws) for Aristocrats. ken
Per your last post the front sight on the Aristocrat mikes out at .140. Note it has a slight flair to it to help eliminate glare and false picture(real good idea).
As Ken states Aristocrat when they designed this front sight it was with the intention to use for PPC. The make a front sight with a smaller width too for bulls eye shooting, but harder to use for the PPC type shooting. If you can see it and hold it though it will help shooter tighter groups at the 50. Tried it and went back to the PPC sight, but you might like it. Thats what I mean, need to experiment and use what works best for you. Hope this helps.

February 12th, 2010, 3:54 am #8

well i got to handle my slide and frame that is being built and love the aristocrat sights. I will definately try to match the sights on my kimber to the dimensions of the aristocrats. Now all I need is some good 9mm load info. I will look around at older posts before shooting a questions out there.

PPC Ken
PPC Ken

February 12th, 2010, 6:52 pm #9

With a 9mm BarSto or Kart barrel - try 4.3grs. of WW 231, Zero 115 JHP(at COL 1.100") or Sierra 115 JHP (at 1.070") or Hornady 121 HAP (at 1.120"), Fed 100 primer, Starline Brass, .374" crimp. These all shoot really well in my 9mm. Be careful (though nowhere near max) these are all ok in my guns - both 5" and 6". ken

February 13th, 2010, 1:25 am #10

thanks ken, you've helped with a lot of input!!