lr45
lr45

February 14th, 2010, 4:43 pm #11

I haven't found my spot yet. I was hoping this tread was going lend itself to insight as to neck hold location.
Is the "7" ring/shoulder area where most hold? I've been trying a little higher, but I don't know if it's me or my spot/hold that's the issue. I'd like to be consistant between the 25 and 50 in point of aim.
Any input would be great. I've experimented some but I think a consensus on POA would allow me to concentrate on just my skills. Thanks.

jp
jp

February 14th, 2010, 6:20 pm #12

neck hold at 25&50yds is great and where you hold depends upon what works best for you. The main thing is looking at the front sight clearly and controlling the trigger. If you can see where your aiming on the target then your looking thru the front sight not looking at it. Front sights on Aristocrat Ribs or separate (front& rear)auto or revolver are 1/8".125 sights on S&W,Springfield, and most other brands are also 1/8"Aristocrat does offer 1/10" .100 sights for their ribs but I find these hard to distinguish during quicker stages of fire such as match 4 or 6rounds in 12 seconds.

Marc Cobb
Marc Cobb

February 15th, 2010, 9:53 pm #13

I was reading in a post from 2008 where ppcken mentioned a neck hold at 25yds. How popular is this? Are people doing it dependent upon eyesight or is it done by most? Thanks for the info, I need any edge I can get in this sport!! As you can tell by two posts in one night, not very many bookings in jail tonight:)
The center of the neck area(thinest part) is the same height as the X ring. by sighting in here ,if you go high or low during sighting you can tell that you have moved and adjust. The big advantage using the neck at 25 is that during the quicker stages you do not change your rate of fire(pace) when you see a bad shot. You can't fix it once its out of the gun, but you sure can screw up the next one.

lr45
lr45

February 15th, 2010, 10:42 pm #14

Mark,
So you're actually just under the head at the narrow neck spot. That's what I needed to know. I have a devil of a time lower, near the shoulders. The narrow spot makes way more sense. I will check my zero and make the adjustments, thanks....oh let's say 1480?(can't score a million)

lr45
lr45

February 15th, 2010, 10:46 pm #15

Crud, I just looked at the target, the narrow part is at the shoulders. Fudge, that's where I've been holding. Well I might try a higher neck hold anyways, I don't think it could hurt any worse. I need a consistant spot.

February 16th, 2010, 1:05 am #16

Back when my eyes were real good I didnt need neckhold,BUT when it got dark or real bright man those lines were hard to see, especially when the lines got REAL thin.It was too difficult to go back and forth,(lots of points lost when I got confused)So I finally swithched to neckhold all the time.It also helped those Quick-6 jitters, as long as I didnt peek,DONT PEEK!!! After trying everyone elses point of aim in the neck I found that I consistently shot best when I used what my eyes liked the best and I seemed naturally drawn to ,in my case it was making the head a round ball for 6:00 hold at 50, and the thinnest part of the neck ,so I could get white ,or brown, on the sides of my front sight at 25.The 10 ring is longer than it is wide so you have more room for error up and down/ than side to side.Also all targets are not created equal, so I put knots in my plumbob string and measure from my aiming point to the x . The targets at NPSC are about a inch off and the heads are more round than what we shoot in CA. my .02 Good Luck Bob

doug
doug

February 18th, 2010, 3:37 am #17

when shooting bullseye, i picked up points quickly when an old timer told me about a six oclock hold. if i cover the thin part of the neck at 25 and 50, the sight picture more resembles that round bullseye sitting on top of my front sight. it seems to help me greatly. i also like the neckhold at 25 because it prevents me from watching the x-ring. it gives me the opportunity do what keith ferguson said, "shoot two, check'em, then finish up." one other bonus is that the equal amount of light on either side of the front post is easier to see because it is tan instead on black. too much black all runs together for me. when you list the pros and cons, the con side is pretty small huh?!

February 18th, 2010, 6:50 am #18

I was reading in a post from 2008 where ppcken mentioned a neck hold at 25yds. How popular is this? Are people doing it dependent upon eyesight or is it done by most? Thanks for the info, I need any edge I can get in this sport!! As you can tell by two posts in one night, not very many bookings in jail tonight:)
Heres a pic of the 1500 target we shoot across the pond in Europe, I usually take the neck hold just above the top of the arrow, If your wondering why it looks like it does this is the politically correct target as we are no longer allowed to shoot at human silhouette, like it really matters.

[/IMG]

www.peverilrifleclub.com

May 10th, 2010, 12:58 am #19

I have recently just started shooting PPC and I'm trying to wrap my head around this "neck hold". It would seem if you have your sights set to shoot a foot low at 25 yards that your 7 and 15 yard shooting would be all off. Where do you hold for 7 and 15? I'm not sure my PPC gun iron sights can be adjusted that far down...am I missing something?

Winder
Winder

May 10th, 2010, 1:59 am #20

Just hold over. Top of the X ring @ 7, top of the 10 @ 15, etc. Also has the added benefit of helping you to not look at you shots as you go.