Glasses for PPC

February 5th, 2008, 2:05 am #1

I currently wear bi-focal glasses for proper vision. I am new to PPC competition and I need to know if I focus on the front sight as I do in Bulls Eye competition or both target and front sight? What I really need to know is, do I get shooting glasses corrected for sharp front sight or for the target (especially at 50 yds)?

Thanks in advance.

-donovan

DOUG
DOUG

February 10th, 2008, 2:49 am #2

FRONT SIGHT! NO DOUBT!

joe
joe

February 11th, 2008, 1:04 am #3

I currently wear bi-focal glasses for proper vision. I am new to PPC competition and I need to know if I focus on the front sight as I do in Bulls Eye competition or both target and front sight? What I really need to know is, do I get shooting glasses corrected for sharp front sight or for the target (especially at 50 yds)?

Thanks in advance.

-donovan
I have found that having the bifocal, for your near vision, on top of the lens works best for PPC shooting.
Take your pistol to the eye doctor and see what amount of correction you will need to see the sight clearly.Make sure you can see the x ring outlines clearly at seven and 15 yards so you can maintain a good aimpoint.Don,t get too much correction or you will constantly have to move your head up and down to focus on the front sight and make sure you are properly aligned on the target.I use DECOTE HYWYDE glasses and they have an excellent website.
I was still able to win my state championship last year with a brand new pair of glasses I got just days before the match.
My fifty yard line scores actually went up as my near vision started to fail I had to work a lot harder to focus on the top of the front sight than I used to have to.Good luck.
Joe

March 4th, 2008, 11:46 pm #4

I had my eye doctor measure from my eye to the front sight in all shooting postions and the average was 28 and 1/4 inches. Then he set the eye chart at that distance and adjusted the lenses and now I have shooting glasses with the correct distance and my front sight is as clear as can be. Also I have the RX in the whole lens and only on the right side of my glasses.

Larry45
Larry45

October 20th, 2008, 3:49 pm #5

As a 50 something PPC shooter I had sight focus issues as well. Like the other posts I went to my eye guy and had my exact distance measured (make sure your Dr. is cool with bringing guns into the office).

I have a hybrid set of "Executive"(frame style) bi-focal lens. The entire top half is magnified (both lens) for close and bottom is for distance.
To aim,a slight lowering of the head (a nod)and the sights are clear. This works in all positions. Look straight ahead and I can see the target and confirm hits. It doesn't affect balance when moving as the one eye set-up did to me. Works great in action shooting events too.

It took nearly 2 years of experimenting to find this combination, but it works great for me. Good luck.

January 22nd, 2016, 2:28 am #6

H p

January 25th, 2016, 10:17 pm #7

As a 50 something PPC shooter I had sight focus issues as well. Like the other posts I went to my eye guy and had my exact distance measured (make sure your Dr. is cool with bringing guns into the office).

I have a hybrid set of "Executive"(frame style) bi-focal lens. The entire top half is magnified (both lens) for close and bottom is for distance.
To aim,a slight lowering of the head (a nod)and the sights are clear. This works in all positions. Look straight ahead and I can see the target and confirm hits. It doesn't affect balance when moving as the one eye set-up did to me. Works great in action shooting events too.

It took nearly 2 years of experimenting to find this combination, but it works great for me. Good luck.
I skipped the bifocals and had my shooting eye doctor make me a single lense prescription that's set for the front sight.

the non-dominant eye uses a plano lens.

Decot

January 27th, 2016, 8:06 am #8

I too tried bifocals, spent an arm and a leg getting them to what I thought and read was right. Guess where they are, in the same box as all my other great ideas. Normal prescription glasses that are set to the front sight will always come out in front. Your head only has to be a fraction off and you are not looking through the correct part of the bifocal lens. When you are cold, hot, tired or just plain sore you hold your head in a different place, or hold your shoulders.

If you do want to be bold, I had my centre of the glasses ground slightly higher to compensate for the prone position, it helped me.

Tony

January 27th, 2016, 5:08 pm #9

Just something "else" to consider. As you "age" some will develop cataracts and no matter how good the glasses are you will never get a "crisp" picture(found out personally), so just something else comes into the quandary of problems. Next best thing is sell all your handguns and start shooting a shotgun-LOL. I know, not a real good suggestion.

January 28th, 2016, 2:27 am #10

Had my cataracts removed in 2005. What an improvement!

Started shooting 100 straights in my trap singles, and my handicap avg went back up!

Lights at work were bright white instead of dull yellow.

oh, losing the 20/400 glasses was a great deal too!

Jim