Getting Started

January 1st, 2008, 3:16 pm #1

I would like to give PPC competition a try but I'm not sure what type of revolver to buy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Steve
Steve

January 2nd, 2008, 10:19 pm #2

Ron,

I started several years ago with a duty issue 4 inch revolver. If you can shoot well with that, you'll love a 6 inch "race gun". I built my fist one out of a S&W 586 frame (because my issue revolver was a 686, I already had several speedloaders). I bought a douglas slab-side barrel and aristocrat 3 position sight from Brownell's catalog. Houge grips, followed by Bill Davis Grips, an extended cylinder release, and I was ready to go. All leather, ammo trays, and shooting box came from Safariland.

After shooting in the California Police Summer games, I met many of the CPPA members, and after shooting in many of their matches over the course of the next few years, I became a life member.

I hope this info helps. If I can answer any specific questions, let me know. Good luck!

January 3rd, 2008, 10:27 am #3

Thank You Steve...I'm leaning toward a 686 with a 6" barrel. From what I've been able to find on different sites that seems to be a reasonable way to start. Your reply was VERY helpful.

Ron

Walt
Walt

January 27th, 2008, 2:57 am #4

Ron,

I started several years ago with a duty issue 4 inch revolver. If you can shoot well with that, you'll love a 6 inch "race gun". I built my fist one out of a S&W 586 frame (because my issue revolver was a 686, I already had several speedloaders). I bought a douglas slab-side barrel and aristocrat 3 position sight from Brownell's catalog. Houge grips, followed by Bill Davis Grips, an extended cylinder release, and I was ready to go. All leather, ammo trays, and shooting box came from Safariland.

After shooting in the California Police Summer games, I met many of the CPPA members, and after shooting in many of their matches over the course of the next few years, I became a life member.

I hope this info helps. If I can answer any specific questions, let me know. Good luck!
Steve, I too am a life member of CPPA and NRA. I now live in VA but remain in contact with the SAC Northern Rep. Did you make the Gov 20?
Walt

January 25th, 2014, 12:39 am #5

Bump