Federal primers

Federal primers

February 26th, 2017, 5:06 pm #1

Does anyone know the difference between Federal's Gold Match primers and their standard light blue boxed primers? I use the GM for my 1500 revolver and the standard federal primers for Distinguished and Service Revolver because the hammer hits a little harder on those pistols. Since GM primers are a little harder to find I was thinking of using the standard Federal primers for everything.. any thoughts?

February 26th, 2017, 11:18 pm #2

From unk source:
"when i spoke to a rep years ago he stated that the gold medal match primers are the 'middle of the pack' in productions. the machines have been up and running and they run more QC on the end product"

February 27th, 2017, 4:23 am #3

It really sure what you're saying...

February 27th, 2017, 4:24 am #4

Not..

February 27th, 2017, 5:47 am #5

Never buy primers/ammo/guns/cars/anything made on a Monday or Friday.

First rule of life.......

March 3rd, 2017, 2:42 am #6

They both work the same.
The GM's are just when the line is most stable.

similar to the CCI Green Box and standard velocity.

everyone uses standard velocity anyway.

I've never had a problem interchanging the two.

Jim
Michigan

March 11th, 2017, 1:06 pm #7

Does anyone know the difference between Federal's Gold Match primers and their standard light blue boxed primers? I use the GM for my 1500 revolver and the standard federal primers for Distinguished and Service Revolver because the hammer hits a little harder on those pistols. Since GM primers are a little harder to find I was thinking of using the standard Federal primers for everything.. any thoughts?
Its interesting using Federal Primers, they are expensive and the only real reason to use them is the fact they are the softest of all primers which means you can wind back your strain screw to give you a light pull. I found using a Dillon 650 press to reload 38 specials there is an inherent problem with reliability to seating the primer consistently and ignition problems always occur. So you end up winding the strain screw right up until the problem goes away but the trigger poundage is up higher than you want, until I worked out the trick to perfect ignition every-time.

Hand prime your brass and inspect every round to see that there is a round hump on the primer top so the anvil is slightly showing through the top of the primer, its time consuming and you need the right lighting but if you inspect every round and the ones where the primer top is flat need to be either set aside as practice rounds or chance your arm and put it back through the press

March 11th, 2017, 3:07 pm #8

THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE PRIMER . IT THE PRESS OPERATOR NOT USING THE SAME AMOUNT OF FORCE TO SEAT EACH PRIMER. OR TABLE NOT HEAVY ENOUGH WHEN YOUR PUSHING UP TO SEAT THE PRIMER. I USE A RL1050 IT SEATS THE PRIMER ON THE DOWN STROKE. PRESS ADJUSTED SO AT THE BOTTOM OF THE STROKE OF THE HANDLE , THE HANDLE IMPACTS THE EDGE OF THE TABLE TO SHOW A COMPLETE STROKE OF THE HANDLE. ALSO WITH THE TURN OF AN ALLEN SCREW ON THE 1050'S YOU CAN ADJUST PRIMER SEATING DEPTH. JP

March 12th, 2017, 8:42 pm #9

I was told this is the answer to my problem ( buy a 1050 ) but I already have 3 presses and $2500 for another press is not an option. I can't count how many times my Dillon 650 has let me down with broken springs, pins, index arms and not to mention crunch primers so the anvil falls out. I get it working again nicely only to have another issue pop up with it but my original lee Prop 1000 just keeps on ticking over without an issue.

I now use a lee hand primer and my problem went away for $50, yes its more steps and more effort but its a cost effective resolution Jim.

March 13th, 2017, 2:38 am #10

650 in my personal experience was a pain in the ars. Constantly flipping primers, locking up, and general all around POS. Idea was good when it worked for volume production. Sold it got a 550B and eliminated 99% of problems. Primer seating problems with the 550, yes, but not like the 650. Dillon does not recommend Federal primers in any of their presses, in fact I think says don't use them. Winchester primers definitely little harder, Remington and CCI definitely harder. Using them in a "lightened" action is clickey nightmare. Usually a 1/4-1/2 turn on strain screw from Federal setting will take care of Winchester clicks. If action is smooth wont notice.
As Jim advises, consistent seating pressure and consistent depth setting will cure primer misfire problems. Adjusting the primer seating punch a real plus. Hand seating, highly recommended, is slow, but way to go if you don't mind a slow down. inconsistent primer fire will definitely effect accuracy and inconsistent primer depth will give you this besides misfires.