September 9th, 2018, 3:09 am #11

I've been loading a few hundred of these bullets to shoot at the range, and I'm having a horrible time trying to keep the bullets straight in the case while seating them. I got about 25 bullets out of a hundred that won't fit in the cylinder. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks, Dave.

September 10th, 2018, 7:56 pm #12

Twister1969 wrote: x-cop, tried your suggested load, using ibejihead bullets, and the results are pretty impressive. I have bullets coming from Matt's, I ordered the 100 gr. swc, and also some 125 gr. wc's. I'm going to try changing the powder load a little to see if it changes anything. Thanks again for the help, Dave.
I have since purchased a Lee 2 cavity mold, 105 swc and getting almost same results that I got from Matts Bullets. These are aluminum and aluminum can be a booger to produce good consistent bullets, so a lot of hit and miss. But for the cost of these molds, around $20 figured worth a try. Problem with Lee molds not consistent with the bullets they drop and you pretty much get what you pay for. Just have to cull the bad ones out.  I have been working with mine and starting to get some pretty good throws. Lubing(per some others suggestions) with Johnsons Paste wax(tumble lubed) working out pretty good. Loading them as cast from the mold @.358 diameter. Alloy composition is going to be the key. I had a bunch of linotype I am mixing in with pure lead and wheel weights, so finding the right mix is my next quest, but so far pretty good. I am shooting them at around 674 fps, so no real problem for leading. Let me know how the 125's work out for you.

September 11th, 2018, 5:28 am #13

Still haven't received my Matt's bullets, so today I tried some 100gr. bullets seated out to their normal length, and they grouped very nicely. I used 3.6 WST powder, more recoil than the short loaded bullets though.

September 11th, 2018, 2:41 pm #14

What kind of groups are you getting with your bullets? With Matts(seated down in case)getting one hole groups consistently that were sub x-ring. One group I got measured 3/4"(horizontal)X 1 3/4"(verticle), one hole. My cast bullets are not as tight,but working on that(pretty close) Going to try some different powders. Case length not too critical if taper crimping. Use same headstamps if possible. Try to get heads all seated to same depth if possible. Seating the bullets deeper in the case eliminates much of the air space and gives more consistent pressure and more consistent powder burn. Not only do you get the accuracy it is obviously more economic. Less recoil gives you faster recovery time for the quick stages also. Every little bit helps. Let me know how you do with the Matts product.