cylinder cleaning

cylinder cleaning

May 13th, 2015, 11:08 pm #1

In light of the barrel leading posting, how often and how diligently do people clean the cylinders? Completely spotless? what usually are the trouble signs when it's time to clean?
Thanks

May 17th, 2015, 9:19 pm #2

I clean mine every time I use it
Signs of trouble are when a 357 round won't chamber in the cylinder mostly

May 20th, 2015, 1:11 am #3

In light of the barrel leading posting, how often and how diligently do people clean the cylinders? Completely spotless? what usually are the trouble signs when it's time to clean?
Thanks
Most often I see a shorty brass brush being run through the cylinders prior to each match, and before the NMC portion. Just to clean out powder residue, etc.

May 24th, 2015, 7:57 am #4

I run a bronze brush through prior to each match, more to rub any loose lead away than to clean it spick and span. Theoretically any case should fall into the chamber, if your ammo is full length sized, I'd be worried if any of mine didn't, even my tight cylinder.

I'll get in with the Lewis lead remover prior to a big competition when then I will ensure that it is factory clean, cylinder, forcing cone and barrel. Hell, I've even been known to run a brush over the sights to get rid of built up sight black etc I do hate those growths that happen when you hit prone to find that there are things hanging off the side of the front sight that shouldn't be there.

May 25th, 2015, 3:29 am #5

great information guys, thanks.

Unregistered Member
Unregistered Member

July 12th, 2015, 6:52 am #6

Thanks
I brush the cylinder when it needs it, that is normally every 1k or so with coated lead wadcutters.

February 5th, 2016, 3:29 pm #7

great information guys, thanks.
Bump