Barrels - polygonal vs conventional

March 15th, 2018, 1:16 pm #1

Hi Guys
I'm curious, does anyone have experience of the accuracy differences with the different barrel types for various ammunition.

Polygonal with H&N 125 copper coated wadcutters seems a popular european chouce with conventional rifling and lead wadcutters / 111 grain swc elsewhere.

Does anyone have any direct experience?

August 13th, 2018, 6:58 pm #2

I had the first PPC Revolver in the UK from Bill Davis in 1978.  They didn't have a grade at that time, the choice was either slab-sided or round Barrel, Davis or Aristocrat Rib and single or double-action only.  It was based on the model 64 and was fitted with a Douglas Premium Air gauged 1:14 twist barrel.  I chose the Slab sided Barrel with an Aristocrat Rib and Double-Action only  Bill recommended a load of 2.7 grains of Bullseye behind a 148 grain  hollow-based wadcutter to guarantee a 2" group at 50 yards. I had it until we had to hand them in (in 1997) but at the last match I fired in Belgium, I had the chance to shoot it from a Ransom Rest at 50 metres.  It still grouped in 2" after 20 years.  Bill Davis made guns to shoot and at that time it only cost me £200 (including a free stop watch.  I had it from 1978 and we didn't start PPC shooting in the UK until 1984.  People over here said a revolver couldn't be shot accurately double action but I proved them wrong and I was far from the best.  The highest score in this country in PPC was shot by John Rolfe (also with a Davis revolver) who did a 1494 in 1992.  Of all the guns I ever owned I really missed that one.
Best wishes,
Pete Luton 🙂