50 Yard Help

Ken Smith from PA
Ken Smith from PA

November 17th, 2006, 12:17 am #1

I've been hitting between 224-231 practice scores for Match 3 at the 50. I want consistant 230-235 scores. Any Masters or High Masters have any advise or remember what finally broke you into this range or better?

I think most of my problem is that my neck hold is becoming a face hold before if get off all six rounds. I seem to be missing most high but when I sight in (no time limit standing barricade) I can hit the X. How often should I be checking my sight picture from the 50 VS concentrating on only front sight?

Thanks
Ken

PPC Ken
PPC Ken

November 20th, 2006, 4:18 pm #2

The response to this message could get long, but is easier if you review or get John Pride's video "Winning PPC". It is still available (and John sure doesn't look like this anymore), but full of very useful info - especially his comments on shooting at 50.

Ken Smith from PA
Ken Smith from PA

November 20th, 2006, 10:00 pm #3

I remember seeing and wanting that video years ago. Great idea. The wife just asked me last night what I wanted for Christmas. Now I have something to tell her. She didn't seem to like my first request. STI Targetmaster 6" 9mm. I think she'll go for the video.

DOUG
DOUG

November 23rd, 2006, 5:36 am #4

WHERE CAN I GET THE VIDEO? IF ANYONE KNOWS, POST IT. MY WIFE IS ALSO ASKING THE CHRISTMAS PRESENT QUESTIONS.

OC COP
OC COP

April 12th, 2007, 3:11 am #5

Well, you guys had to make me do it. Up in the attic I went in search of the very VHS tape you are asking about. Could not find it this morning but knew it was up there in storage somewhere. I found it tonight. OK, "Winning PPC with Grand Master John Pride" Produced by Lenny Magill in 1988. I had to watch it! Getting ready for the South Carolina Regional. Anyway the tape is almost 20 years old and I saw John at Nationals in 2004. Time changes us all. He is still one tremendous shot even if Hemphill continues to dominate Nationals, now on three different National range sights.

Here is the address listed on the tape. God only knows if it is still good. I did not want to call the number in case it went to some elderly lady's home in San Diego. Mail Order Video, 7888 Ostrow Street #A, San Diego, CA 92111, 800-942-8273, 619-569-4000. Lenny Magill Productions. I have no idea if the business is still operating or not.

I did check Ebay tonight and there were no listings. I think I have seen the tape listed on Gunbroker.com a few years back so you might give that a shot. Good luck in your search. I am not ready to give mine up.

Mike
Mike

April 13th, 2007, 9:29 pm #6

WHERE CAN I GET THE VIDEO? IF ANYONE KNOWS, POST IT. MY WIFE IS ALSO ASKING THE CHRISTMAS PRESENT QUESTIONS.
I have seen Pride's video on ebay several times. I
don't see one up there now, but if you check once in a while, you'll find one. Of course, you'll have to pull your VCR out of the trash! If I see one on ebay, I'll post a message.

OC COP
OC COP

April 20th, 2007, 3:04 am #7

I knew I would find it after some searching. PPC with John Pride is still out there but now in DVD. $34.95. No more VHS unless you pick it up used. The DVD can be found at http://gunvideo.com/index/81/ bottom of page 2 (competition handgun section.) See you at an east coast PPC Regional real soon. Enjoy

High Master PPC 50
High Master PPC 50

May 25th, 2007, 7:28 pm #8

I've been hitting between 224-231 practice scores for Match 3 at the 50. I want consistant 230-235 scores. Any Masters or High Masters have any advise or remember what finally broke you into this range or better?

I think most of my problem is that my neck hold is becoming a face hold before if get off all six rounds. I seem to be missing most high but when I sight in (no time limit standing barricade) I can hit the X. How often should I be checking my sight picture from the 50 VS concentrating on only front sight?

Thanks
Ken
I shot in the South Carolina Regional two weeks ago. During the two 1500's and the two teams I fired the 50 yard line six times. I shot a one down, 4 two downs and a three down. I have fired 5 perfect 600's in match 5 and several 240 match four's in competition during my 30 year career. I say this not to brag, but so you will know that I speak from experience and not opinion.
There are two things that are critical at the 50 yd line; sight alignment and trigger movement. Don't worry so much about what your sight picture is, because your sights can move about 6" up and down without being out of the 10 ring. When you look at your sights pay particular attention to the flat line formed by the top of the front sight and the tops of the rear sight. If you concentrate on this flat line, the front sight will natually center itself in the rear sight notch.
The truth is that most shooters do this just fine. The real difference between good 25 yard shooters and good 50 yard shooters is in what they do with the trigger. Most shooters align the sights by stopping the trigger or slowing it down drastically just before firing to make sure that they have perfect sight alignment. Remember the laws of physics; IT IS EASIER TO KEEP SOMETHING IN MOTION THAN IT IS TO BEGIN TO MOVE AN OBJECT THAT IS AT REST. Keeping the trigger in motion is the surest way to maintain the sight alignment that you struggled to achieve. Keeping the trigger moving is the most critical operation in shooting good 50 yard targets. If I could bold it, underline it and put it in a larger font, I would still no be giving it enough credit. Forget everything else, mentally focus on the flat sight line and keep the trigger moving and I promise you your 50's will soon get better.

PPC Ken
PPC Ken

May 26th, 2007, 7:13 pm #9

Great advice for Ken Smith. This is what I was hoping this website would have more of rather than a place to buy/sell stuff. Anyway, just got back from a PPC match in KC where I tried your suggestions for shooting at 50. Yeah I know, never try anything new in a match - but what the heck - no guts no glory! I think it helps and I will practice it much more in the coming weeks. What I am really writing about today is - any ideas/advice on shooting the "Quick 6" at the end of the match? I always seem to drop points here, and today some of those were an "8"! Do you use center hold? Do you use neck hold? Thanks for the advice. I hope this message finds you. ken

May 27th, 2007, 1:39 am #10

This is the type of post I started and intended this forum for.
Good replies guys.
Personally I was having trouble at the 50 also.
I switched to a center hold and I increased my points dramatically.
That worked for me though. Each perosn is different. I use neck for my 25.
Last edited by policepistol on May 27th, 2007, 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.