Weather and You

l33tmaan
Pokémon Trainer

May 12th, 2018, 3:40 am #1

I'm a little curious as to how other GMs out there handle natural weather conditions during battles. Before we get this started, let's examine the rules so we're all on the same page.
Page 341 wrote:Note that despite their names, Weather Conditions are not usually found as natural occurrences. A bright and sunny day does not count as Sunny Weather, nor does rain count as Rainy Weather. However, particularly severe examples of the corresponding weather can count. For example, a tropical rainstorm could count as Rainy weather.
Obviously, most encounters shouldn't have weather going on in the background, but what I want to hear about are those times when it you made it work for your group anyway. Everyone interprets "natural occurrences" differently, and that's what I'm interested in hearing. I'll pose some questions to get the discussion started. I'm not expecting definitive answers, but I'd like to see how far we can plausibly stretch the rules.
  • If I'm fighting inside a freezer and it's really, really cold, does that count as Hailing?
  • If I'm fighting completely underwater, is it naturally Raining all the time, or would that be its own Weather Condition? Can I change the weather at all, even with moves or abilities?
  • Would an ashstorm around a volcano count as Sandstorm, Sunny, or both?
  • Is there a "temperature threshold" for how hot it should be before it's Sunny all the time? A desert makes sense, but what if it's a tropical marsh on a really hot day?
I also welcome any discussion about custom weather conditions - I've played around with Poison-typed Acid Rain that dealt damage to anything that wasn't Poison or Steel-type, but I didn't go much farther than that.
Last edited by l33tmaan on May 12th, 2018, 3:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

MrRasputin
Pokémon Trainer
MrRasputin
Pokémon Trainer

May 12th, 2018, 4:41 am #2

Wow these are some good points that I have never thought of. I also am curious to see what other people's takes on these are.

1. For me I would count it as the Hailing condition. However, I would not flavor it as hail, but rather a blistering chill that frostbites you the more time you spend in it. So ultimately since the effects of hail and the insane cold could be considered similar in the real world (physical damage from cold) I think it should transfer over but with flavor adjustments
2. I have thought about this before but couldn't get a solid decision in mind. Right now I think I would say that it could change the weather above water but since you are protected (as if you used Dive) you and everyone else underwater would be unaffected.
3. Since an ash-storms would block out the sun, I dont think I would give it Sunny but I would give it Sandstorm since a cloud of toxic debris is similar to a sandstorm.
4. I would just say that when it is quite uncomfortably hot it would be Sunny. Maybe like 95-100 degrees F if I had to put a number to the threshold.

As an added on weather condition, I haven't used it but yet but, I would consider Misty to be a condition that can typically occur early in the morning, found at areas near beaches or in valleys and it would increase the AC to hit by like +2
Last edited by MrRasputin on May 12th, 2018, 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

l33tmaan
Pokémon Trainer

May 12th, 2018, 4:49 am #3

Fog, wow, that seems so obvious to me now that I think about it. That seems like it would be simple, effective, and easy to remember, although I imagine certain areas could be cleared up with Defog/Whirlwind. Perhaps it could stack with other weather types? Rain is the most immediate, but you could probably have a frozen mist while climbing a mountain and double down with Hail instead.

However, now that you've answered my questions, I counter with another question: By your logic, does that mean a hot enough desert could have Sandstorm and Sunny at the same time?

MrRasputin
Pokémon Trainer
MrRasputin
Pokémon Trainer

May 12th, 2018, 5:50 am #4

Ya for Fog I would absolutely agree that Defog/Whirlwind would be able to clear it, and it is a state the could exist with other weather conditions especially rain and probably in some cases, Hale too.

Now that you bring that up I realize that my initial reasoning is also faulted because if I can say that an Ash-storm would be a Sandstorm and negate Sunny then that means that I see the Sunny conditions as being a state where the strong sunlight is what makes it true. However, I contradicted that thought when I said that at a high enough temperature it would be considered Sunny. I still believe especially hot weather can be used for Sunny even if you don't have direct access (Like if your in the shade, you cant see the sun directly but its still just as effective as a weather condition). So I'm adjusting my take on the Ash-storm to also include Sunny if it is hot enough (95-100 degrees).
And then to get to your follow up question, I would say that based on my new reasoning, I would say that a desert could be both Sunny and have a Sandstorm at once. Additionally giving the great variance in desert climates over the day/night, I would even go as far as to say that it could be Hailing and a Sandstorm at the same time.

Would you agree on that last thought or do you have a different take?

l33tmaan
Pokémon Trainer

May 12th, 2018, 6:01 am #5

I looked at that and said "ooooooh", so I would say yes, I think that's a good idea. This is going to make my random encounters in the desert much more interesting than before. My world's climate is generally warm, but it might be a cool change of pace to have the desert nights be some of the coldest places accessible outside of the mountains.

One more thought before I go to bed: The Artificer class allows you to create a Rainbow which boosts the Effect Range of all allies by +3. In a theoretical situation where you're fighting someplace where there's a natural rainbow (near a waterfall at a specific time of day, for example), could that be counted as a weather condition that affects everyone?

MrRasputin
Pokémon Trainer
MrRasputin
Pokémon Trainer

May 12th, 2018, 6:39 am #6

Because it says it boosts your allies it would have to be seen as applicable to both sides since from the enemy's perspective they see the same thing and neither side is responsible for it. With that being decided it's not nearly as powerful anymore so I don't have a problem implementing it naturally here and there. It would likely be part of some kind of special type of refraction. Maybe a sacred waterfall or a normal one but at a specific time of the day, or Ho-oh randomly flies by leaving one in its wake. For the Ho-oh part, I would even consider allowing that to be exclusively for the party if they are heroes. Probably best used if they are in a bit of trouble and of course, some necessary exposition will follow as to why a Ho-oh flew by and granted them strength.
I would also say this effect could be combined with other conditions since rainbows are made by refraction of light it would be very unlikely that one would be in a Sandstorm (unless its a glass Sandstorm.. yikes!) but in every other weather state I would say its plausible and more likely in others.

One more weather condition to perhaps consider is Windy, maybe not quite on the scale or a tornado but something impactful. I would think for this any flying or levitating Pokemon would have to land or make Athletics/Acrobatics saves to remain in the air (or if levitating, Focus). All overland speed is then reduced by 1 (min 1). So nothing to significant but maybe something that can be combined with other weathers to spice up some encounters

MrRasputin
Pokémon Trainer
MrRasputin
Pokémon Trainer

May 12th, 2018, 10:47 pm #7

Also sorry, I didn't mean to make this thread into one on one discussion. I am also curious as to what other people think about the 4 initial questions and any of the other ideas we have discussed, even if they are similar thoughts.

So please share any thoughts you might have, other peculiar situations where multiple weather conditions could be present.
Like perhaps your next to an active volcano and a hurricane comes in creating heavy wind and rain, the weather in the sky might even cold enough to create hail (or at least throw hail like degree) while you still feel the Sunny condition as you swelter next to a volcano. Would this situation be Sunny, Rainy, Hailing, and Windy? Would Sandstorm better replace Hail here? Or would both be present?

l33tmaan
Pokémon Trainer

May 15th, 2018, 4:12 pm #8

Whoops, I swear I remember making this thread.

I was absolutely thinking that a Rainbow's effects would be applicable to everyone involved - an easy way to spice up an encounter, now that I think of it. Rainbows are rare enough to where I'd say that fighting near one just makes everyone feel more inspired, but that's just me. Glass sandstorms, though, eh? I've always liked the ideas of giant and jagged glass-blasted wastelands in the desert, and the core rulebook even has a Glass-type ready to go. Food for thought, I suppose.

I like the idea of Windy as something to make life harder for pokemon that can fly, but I fear we're starting to get too deep into homebrew weather territory. I really need to comb the homebrew forums to see what other people have made...

Kalinius
Pokémon Trainer
Kalinius
Pokémon Trainer

May 16th, 2018, 7:18 pm #9

Generally for weather effects I tend to be a lot more lax with how often weather effects can come into play. If its pouring rain and such then rain can take effect, a really bright and hot sunny day can proc Sunny Day effects and so forth. For underwater areas I actually made it a modified version of Hail where all non water types take passive damage, fire types take additional damage from the water, fire attacks fail and water attacks gain bonus damage.

I've also used two custom weathers. Acid Rain which deals damage to non Poison types each turn and removes Steel types immunity to Poison moves during the weather effect. And then Soul Shroud a ghost weather effect where Ghosts and Normal types are immune to a passive damage effect.