The Legend of Zelda: Reclaim the Wild

Elemental Knight
Pokémon Trainer
Elemental Knight
Pokémon Trainer

July 12th, 2017, 1:02 am #1

This System is in BETA phase.
Balance, rules, and systems are complete and playable, but are subject to change based on feedback and playtesting.

Core Rules
Optional Supplement: Rebuilding the Wild
[+] Spoiler
Zelda Sprite Library (GB Style)
Bestiary (Rough, Work in Progress)
(The Bestiary is not complete - I've merely made monsters as I have had need for them for playtesting. Further, some monsters were made using older versions of the rules, so their numbers may be slightly different than would be gotten in the current version. However, I figure it might still be helpful to anyone out there who wants to use this system!
[+] Spoiler
Hey folks! You may have noticed I've been rather quiet the past few months. In part, that was because I got deeply sucked into The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I put at least a hundred hours into the game, and didn't find 100% of anything - Shrines, Korok Seeds, weapons, pictures, sidequests... But I really, deeply enjoyed the game; more than I've enjoyed just about any video game that's come out in the past few years.1

Once I beat the game, I got to thinking: "Man, I wish there was more adventure I could go on in this world. More places to see, more people to talk to, more bad guys to fight. More weapons to find, break, and find again. More armor to quest after, farm for, and proudly wear. I wish there were huge, intricate "Zelda-style" dungeons. I wish there were more races and civilizations, with more lore that I could dive into. I wish there were more places like Tarrey Town, that I could help rebuild after defeating Calamity Ganon. So I guess I wish there was just... more."

And that's when I realized: I could just make a Tabletop system.

So... I did.

1The previous record holder would be The Elder Scrolls Online, which I've sunk literal weeks of playtime into. However, it has a variety of factors helping it in my estimation that don't apply to other people, so it gets an asterisk next to that record.
Reclaim the Wild is a homebrewed tabletop system, designed from the ground up, to further the sense of adventure, exploration, and wanderlust found in Nintendo's huge smash-hit, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Reclaim the Wild features character creation and progression that discourages min-maxing, in favor of creating capable, well-rounded Heroes that still have their own strengths and weaknesses. The Races, Techniques, Spells, and Feats that can be used to customize those Heroes draw from the rich well of past Zelda games and their lore. The Tokens of Heroism used as experience points are gained not through wanton slaughter, but by performing heroic acts (large or small) and by exploring the world the GM creates.

The game features a heavy focus on equipment, crafting, and resource gathering: weapons and tools can break, materials can be found in the world or scavenged from fallen foes. Additional equipment can be gained by fighting stronger foes - either by scavenging their better materials, or taking their weapons and items directly. If the players and GM agree to use the Rebuild the Wild supplement, they can take their materials and invest in actually rebuilding a Hyrule ravaged by Ganon's century of darkness, reaping not only profits, but creating a thriving community where once stood only desolation.
[+] Spoiler
From early March 2017, until the time I made this post, I've been writing this system, running it through loops of feedback with my close friends and fellow PTU players, and (when I have the chance) running the occasional one-shot playtest.

With all that work, the game was, in early July 2017, in a complete and playable Alpha state. It then went into Beta in October that same year.

Since then, following playtesting, feedback, and further iteration, I've continued to improve the rules and release updated Beta documents.
At this point, what the game needs most of all is you. I need people to read the rules, and provide me feedback. I need people to play the game - as both GM and as a player - and run the game through its paces. This is an Alpha - there has been an attempt at balance, but I acknowledge that said attempt is neither final, perfect, nor absolute.

Information I'm looking for:
  • What about the system is fun?
  • What about the system isn't fun?
  • What about the rules do you not understand, or feel you were confused by?
  • Is there anything that you wish the rules covered or included, that they don't have currently?
Last edited by Elemental Knight on February 20th, 2018, 10:03 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Check out EK's Homebrew Index for a list of all the Pokemon Tabletop stuff I've done!
It includes new Pokemon, rulesets, resources, modules, generators, tools, logs of my own campaigns, and much more.
...As well as, of course, a link to the Excel Pokemon Generator thread.
And just to be 100% clear: I might be an Administrator on these forums, but I am absolutely not a Developer of PTA or PTU.
Everything I make is homebrew, non-canon, and unofficial.
Speaking of: Check out my homebrew Zelda Tabletop system, Reclaim the Wild.

Elemental Knight
Pokémon Trainer
Elemental Knight
Pokémon Trainer

July 12th, 2017, 1:03 am #2

(Reserving for future use.)
Check out EK's Homebrew Index for a list of all the Pokemon Tabletop stuff I've done!
It includes new Pokemon, rulesets, resources, modules, generators, tools, logs of my own campaigns, and much more.
And just to be 100% clear: I might be an Administrator on these forums, but I am absolutely not a Developer of PTA or PTU.

Magnyr_Delorn
Pokémon Trainer
Magnyr_Delorn
Pokémon Trainer

July 15th, 2017, 12:12 am #3

I've looked over the rules, and it looks fun. If you're looking for a player, I'm totally willing to play in a game testing out the system, provided we find the right time to play.

Elemental Knight
Pokémon Trainer
Elemental Knight
Pokémon Trainer

August 10th, 2017, 12:36 pm #4

Minor update! I've been a bit busy with work lately, but I've also begun collecting sprites for use in my Zelda playtests. I've uploaded that collection, and added a link to the first post. It's not terribly complete yet, but it's the kind of collection I'll add to as I need and make sprites.

rjbprime
Pokémon Trainer
rjbprime
Pokémon Trainer

August 27th, 2017, 11:05 am #5

Hi Elemental Knight. I have a couple of questions for you. Question 1) Do you mind if I playtest your rules with my group? And Question 2) Do you mind if I use a website called http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/ to create a document based on the current version, to pretty it up for my group? The main use for Homebrewery is to write Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition Homebrew using Markup, HTML and CSS, but I find it can be used for a lot of things, not necessarily D&D5e. If the answer to Q2 is a yes, I will pm a link to the 'Brew for you to critique.

Elemental Knight
Pokémon Trainer
Elemental Knight
Pokémon Trainer

August 27th, 2017, 2:56 pm #6

rjbprime wrote:Question 1) Do you mind if I playtest your rules with my group?
Please do! Let me know how it goes - what questions you and your players have, things you like, things you don't like, all that stuff.
rjbprime wrote:Question 2) Do you mind if I use a website called http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/ to create a document based on the current version, to pretty it up for my group? The main use for Homebrewery is to write Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition Homebrew using Markup, HTML and CSS, but I find it can be used for a lot of things, not necessarily D&D5e. If the answer to Q2 is a yes, I will pm a link to the 'Brew for you to critique.
You can do that, but with a few caveats:
  • It has a link back to either this forum post, or the core google doc itself.
  • You credit me as the author of the rules.
  • Make sure everyone knows this is an alpha form of the rules: playable and complete, but not finalized and still undergoing significant testing and iteration.
If you do those things, I'll be happy. And I'd love to see what you do with it; at some point, I'll have to stop iterating on the rules quite so much, and start iterating on an actual design for the book itself (with things like pictures and fonts), so I'll be curious to see what you make.
Last edited by Elemental Knight on August 27th, 2017, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rjbprime
Pokémon Trainer
rjbprime
Pokémon Trainer

August 28th, 2017, 6:01 am #7

Some feedback as I code up the document. I believe that Talking Animals should have 3 of those traits, as looking at it, you can't really make the iconic animals from the Oracle games.

Most of the other races get 3, except Hylians and Twili, who get two, Gorons, who get 5, and Subrosians, who get 4.

The iconic Oracle games animals all had:
  • "Increase your Lift capability, as if your Athletics was 2 points higher. You may be used as a Mount by another Hero",
  • they each had a variation of "Select one of Flying (Moosh), Gliding (Moosh), Swimming (Dimitri), or Climbing (Ricky). You are a Natural at that type of movement",
  • a variation of "You have naturally sharp claws, a strong jaw for biting (Dimitri), horns to ram foes with, or other animalistic accoutrements. You may treat any empty hand as being equipped with a Fist weapon, with a Damage rating of (Combat). These faux weapons can be used in Basic Attacks, Combat Maneuvers, Techniques, and Spells"
  • Ricky (the Kangaroo) had "Increase your Jump capability, as if your Athletics was 2 points higher. In addition, increase your Movement by 1",
  • Dimitri (the Dodongo) had "You have naturally tough skin, chitinous hide, bony shell, or other protective measures. You have a natural Defense of (Fortitude/2), which is added to the Defense of any Armor you wear. However, for every piece of Armor you wear, reduce this natural Defense by 1 (minimum 0)".
  • The charged abilities of the iconics were Ricky's wind-up punch, Moosh's Flying Body Slam. Dimitri didn't have a charge ability, but could eat anything.
The bolded parts are the abilities I see as their character, and I see those abilities as core to the animals.

Thoughts?

CWStra
Pokémon Trainer

August 28th, 2017, 6:30 am #8

Might as well put this one up for the forum folks; after all, more options are better.

Made in LaTeX:
Reclaim the Wild PDF (with Table of Contents!)
Last edited by CWStra on August 28th, 2017, 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've been working on the PTU R20 sheet! If you have comments, requests, cease and desist orders, ect., PM me.
[+] Spoiler
GM of:
Weather Gangs (R20 Game)

Player in:
You're Welcome on my Boat–Dane Coley

Elemental Knight
Pokémon Trainer
Elemental Knight
Pokémon Trainer

August 28th, 2017, 11:47 pm #9

rjbprime wrote:Some feedback as I code up the document. I believe that Talking Animals should have 3 of those traits, as looking at it, you can't really make the iconic animals from the Oracle games.

Most of the other races get 3, except Hylians and Twili, who get two, Gorons, who get 5, and Subrosians, who get 4.

The iconic Oracle games animals all had:
  • "Increase your Lift capability, as if your Athletics was 2 points higher. You may be used as a Mount by another Hero",
  • they each had a variation of "Select one of Flying (Moosh), Gliding (Moosh), Swimming (Dimitri), or Climbing (Ricky). You are a Natural at that type of movement",
  • a variation of "You have naturally sharp claws, a strong jaw for biting (Dimitri), horns to ram foes with, or other animalistic accoutrements. You may treat any empty hand as being equipped with a Fist weapon, with a Damage rating of (Combat). These faux weapons can be used in Basic Attacks, Combat Maneuvers, Techniques, and Spells"
  • Ricky (the Kangaroo) had "Increase your Jump capability, as if your Athletics was 2 points higher. In addition, increase your Movement by 1",
  • Dimitri (the Dodongo) had "You have naturally tough skin, chitinous hide, bony shell, or other protective measures. You have a natural Defense of (Fortitude/2), which is added to the Defense of any Armor you wear. However, for every piece of Armor you wear, reduce this natural Defense by 1 (minimum 0)".
  • The charged abilities of the iconics were Ricky's wind-up punch, Moosh's Flying Body Slam. Dimitri didn't have a charge ability, but could eat anything.
The bolded parts are the abilities I see as their character, and I see those abilities as core to the animals.

Thoughts?
I think it's a fair cop!

I did have two main reasons for doing it that way - "those animal companions come about a bit into the game, so maybe they've picked up the feat to have an additional benefit", and "I don't want a top-end Talking Animal character to have more than half of the possible benefits". But I think you're right that two benefits is too few compared to some other races. (And I'd like to give the Twili a bit more to have, honestly.)

I went ahead and bumped them up a notch, and added one more possible benefit of being a Talking Animal: an improved nose. Should've been in there earlier, honestly, but I forgot about the Scent Mask.

rjbprime
Pokémon Trainer
rjbprime
Pokémon Trainer

August 29th, 2017, 2:34 am #10

CWStra wrote:Might as well put this one up for the forum folks; after all, more options are better.

Made in LaTeX:
Reclaim the Wild PDF (with Table of Contents!)
I like the layout of yours, looks better layout-wise than mine. You seem to have a few blank pages at the ends of the chapters, is it possible to remove them, or they hard coded?

On that, I have a few questions.

1) How do you use LaTeX, and is it available on Windows?
2) Is there a way to add images to the document during compiling? The way I'm coding the document I'm working on, it uses Markup, CSS and HTML, so most of those are available, except for predefined settings in the web package I'm using.
3) Does LaTeX allow for bookmarks in the ToC, and if so, do they directly link to the bookmarked text? The web package I'm using currently only allows ToC bookmarks or links to text based on pages.

The version I'm working on has a parchment background image and stylised footer image for each page, I've added images for the races, and as of last night my time, I have coded to the end of the Feats, Spells and Techniques chapter, and it currently sits at 43 pages. At the same point in the Word document I had downloaded, that sections last page is page 87, so I've managed to cut half of the pages, for the same amount of content.

If CWStra could answer those questions I posed to them, then I could make my own version, with my additions as I have noted.

Kind Regards,

RJBPrime