Question about enemy pokemons

KasuganoAichi
Pokémon Trainer
KasuganoAichi
Pokémon Trainer

September 10th, 2018, 5:46 pm #1

Hi everyone, I'm preparing a Mystery Dungeon like adventure for me and my friends, this will our first time using this format and I was thinking about creating some bosses pokemon or something of the sort for them to fight, which kinda got me wondering if it would be okay to break the rules a bit for the status of some of pokemon, in order to create these boss pokemons. I mean, it would not be fair with them if I were to send out a pokemon like a Seviper for example against them right of the bat, it would probably be able to one-shot them while taking small damage, and I really want to avoid that, dealing moderate damage with high HP for example.

The short verions is, would it be fine if I were to ignore the base relation between the basic stats in order to create a boss fight of sorts that would take a bit of time and effort on the players side, without making they go against an impossible enemy of sorts? Same thing for giving moves ahead of time for certain wild species, they won't capture these pokemons, at max they will have their aid for the duration of the Mystery Dungeon.

Edit: Forgot to ask, but is there some tokens or something similar that I can use on roll20? If possible, that includes gen 7, I found one already, tough it only go up to gen 6.

l33tmaan
Pokémon Trainer

September 10th, 2018, 7:07 pm #2

Question: Is it okay for me, the GM, to break the rules?
Answer: Yes, always. 100%, regardless of the context. Just don't be dumb about it.

Now that I've actually read your post, I would recommend just sending the Seviper after them. If they get one-shot, they get one-shot. Hopefully they'll take the hint once the first person drops. 

KasuganoAichi
Pokémon Trainer
KasuganoAichi
Pokémon Trainer

September 11th, 2018, 4:49 pm #3

That would probably be fun to watch, thanks for the help :3