General Questions and Answer 1.05

Doxy
Pokémon Trainer
Doxy
Pokémon Trainer

February 24th, 2015, 6:34 am #1

Let's just go ahead and restart! Second verse, same as the first
wrote:We've noticed a large influx in threads with just 1-2 replies that are basically quick Q&A type threads. We want to try to consolidate them, so if you got a rules question you think can be answered in less than a paragraph, post it in here. Keep in mind that -anyone- can answer a question here, not just us devs.

Also, we're going to encourage a format for this thread's Q and A to keep it sane. Prefix your questions with Q#, and answers for that question with A#, where # is the current question count. For example, let's say the question someone posted was :

Q1: What is a buttfor?

The next question post should be labeled as :

Q2: Why does castfromhp hate fun so much?

The answer to Q1 should be prefixed with A1, and the answer to Q2 with A2.

BluesEclipse
Pokémon Trainer
BluesEclipse
Pokémon Trainer

February 24th, 2015, 7:51 am #2

Q1: Alright, this one's a bit of a complex interaction.

I have a character with both Ace Trainer and Rune Master. The Rune Master has the Words of Power feat, meaning that the range/area/targeting for Hidden Power is probably best described as "whatever the Muk I want it to be". I then want to have a Pokemon take Signature Technique, modifying Hidden Power.

How do I determine which Signature Techniques are a viable choice to begin with? And, more importantly, does this allow for multiple Signature Technique modifications to be taken with the same feat, based on what range/area/targeting is being used with Hidden Power at the time? Because it seems like a waste of a feat and 2 TP if I have to pick just one modification that's not even going to be consistently usable.

Doxy
Pokémon Trainer
Doxy
Pokémon Trainer

February 24th, 2015, 8:04 am #3

BluesEclipse wrote:Q1: Alright, this one's a bit of a complex interaction.

I have a character with both Ace Trainer and Rune Master. The Rune Master has the Words of Power feat, meaning that the range/area/targeting for Hidden Power is probably best described as "whatever the Muk I want it to be". I then want to have a Pokemon take Signature Technique, modifying Hidden Power.

How do I determine which Signature Techniques are a viable choice to begin with? And, more importantly, does this allow for multiple Signature Technique modifications to be taken with the same feat, based on what range/area/targeting is being used with Hidden Power at the time? Because it seems like a waste of a feat and 2 TP if I have to pick just one modification that's not even going to be consistently usable.
A1: Hmm, that is a bit tricky! And it has an even trickier answer.

Alright, so when you're applying Signature Technique, it'd just read Hidden Power as being a Burst 1.

So you can apply any of Scattershot, Shock and Awe, Vicious Storm, Alternative Energy, or Bloodied Speed.

All of those continue to apply even if you choose to take advantage of Words of Power, and use Hidden Power with an alternate range.

Alternative Energy is pretty much a waste since you can already do this with Letter Press.

Scattershot simply replaces Hidden Power's base range, removing Burst 1 as an option, but you can still opt to use Words of Power's other options. Still, not a great interaction as it's a range-replacement and Words of Power already does that better for you. Although 3-targets at 4m range MAY be good enough to warrant it, as unlike AOE attacks, it doesn't run the risk of hitting your allies.

Shock and Awe, Vicious Storm, Bloodied Speed all continue to apply all the time however! So for example, even if you use a Hidden Power Vicious Storm as a Ranged 6, 1-Target, it still gains Smite.

So in short, your options are limited by Hidden Power's default range. And no, you cannot apply multiple Signature Technique modifications to the same Pokemon. But several of the options you can apply always apply, regardless of the actual range at which you use the Move.

Wile E.
Pokémon Trainer
Wile E.
Pokémon Trainer

February 24th, 2015, 9:23 am #4

Q2: When leveling up at level 5 etc... the general feature. Would Hobbyist here still count as a Class feature or just a general feature with no other ties? Or in other words is Hobbyist both a General/single occurrence feature as well as a Class Feature or can this Class be taken as if it were a General Feature? I just know I will get asked this while I am GM'ing a new game, which is why I am asking now.
Last edited by Wile E. on February 24th, 2015, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
My automated version of the 1.04 Fancy Pokemon Character Sheet using some additions I have made while using it in campaigns. This sheet has built on the original Fancy Pokemon Tabletop United Sheet found through the link in this post.

pokepotter4
Pokémon Trainer
pokepotter4
Pokémon Trainer

February 24th, 2015, 9:46 am #5

A2: General is the same as Non-Class, so no.

Edit: this is wrong
Last edited by pokepotter4 on February 24th, 2015, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

castfromhp
Pokémon Trainer
castfromhp
Pokémon Trainer

February 24th, 2015, 9:48 am #6

A2: You could take Hobbyist with your Level 5 advancement bonus due to its special clause, yes.
Read the official Pokémon tabletop blog!
Join us on the Pokemon Tabletop Discord server.
Chat with us in the Pokémon tabletop IRC channel: #PokemonTabletop on the Rizon network.
Look at this thread for more info on how to use IRC.

Llyarden
Pokémon Trainer

February 24th, 2015, 9:54 am #7

Q3: With regards to attacks of opportunity, is it mandated that the Struggle attack be made unarmed? My Kung-Fu is Stronger from Martial Artist seems to imply so, but the actual text for Attack of Opportunity merely specifies 'struggle attack.'

Doxy
Pokémon Trainer
Doxy
Pokémon Trainer

February 24th, 2015, 10:09 am #8

Llyarden wrote:Q3: With regards to attacks of opportunity, is it mandated that the Struggle attack be made unarmed? My Kung-Fu is Stronger from Martial Artist seems to imply so, but the actual text for Attack of Opportunity merely specifies 'struggle attack.'
A3: If you're wielding a weapon, you can make a Struggle Attack with that weapon as part of your Attack of Opportunity.

What My Kung Fu is meant to imply is that -it- can't be used if you're holding a weapon.

Ronike
Pokémon Trainer
Ronike
Pokémon Trainer

February 24th, 2015, 10:55 am #9

Q4: Can you take multiple instances of Categoric Inclination, or is it 1 and done? I.e: Can I get +3 to Body skills? Also, if you can take multiple instances, is there a limit to how high I can go?
[+] Spoiler
Vahn Lupahl of Slyytherclaw's Fantastic Geode Island Campaign
[+] Spoiler
John Damasus of BaitroAtrain's Arena of the Thousand Weapons Campaign

Thrice
Pokémon Trainer

February 24th, 2015, 10:55 am #10

Q5: Is Earthroil correctly written? In other words, Ground Ace's Earthroil seems to either have a typo in it, or else be incredibly overpowered:
[+] Spoiler
Prerequisites: Mold the Earth, Type-Linked Skill at
Expert
At-Will – Free Action
Effect: Your Ground-Type Pokémon may activate Earthroil as a Shift Action to use a damaging Ground Type Move as it had a range of Line 4 or Burst 1 instead of its usual range, and as if it had the Groundsource keyword. 1-Target Moves performed this way take a -5 penalty to their Damage Rolls.
I'm guessing it's meant to say something along the lines of "Your Ground-Type Pokémon may activate Earthroil as a Shift Action when using a Ground-Type Move to treat that Move as if it had a range of Line 4 or Burst 1" etc? Cause as-is it gives you a free attack every turn as a Shift Action, with additional benefits on top of that!

A4: The book states that unless a Feature or Edge states that you can take it multiple times, then you can't. So, you can only take Categoric Inclination once.
Last edited by Thrice on February 24th, 2015, 11:04 am, edited 3 times in total.