Moderator: Board Moderators

[Evaluated]The Needle Moves Gracefully

June 12th, 2015, 7:57 pm #1

[+] spoiler
Pokemon

Rufflet
Caught at Level 5
[+] spoiler
Aquila is just as feisty as Manny, if not more so. He's wild and aggressive, not afraid to bloody his beak if need be. Already, he has taken one chunk out of Manny in a panic, and it's more than likely he'll do so again. Aquila is a fighter, but he fights blindly, on pure instinct. Obedience isn't his strong suit.
Nickname: Aquila
Type: Normal/Flying
Ability: Sheer Force
Height: 1'8"
Weight: 23.1 lbs
Health: Intermediate
EXP Rate: Slow
EXP Gauge: (18/22)
EXP Gained: 11
Level: 9
Division: D8
Total Stats: 99
  • Attack: 29 (30%)
  • Defense: 20
  • Sp. Attack: 13
  • Sp. Defense: 17
  • Speed: 20
Vitamins Used: None
Moveset:
1. Leer
1. Peck
5. Fury Attack

Unique Moves:
-
-
-
-
Item:
There was this thing about traveling the country that Manny had sorely neglected to realize when she was applying to be a trainer.

Walking was hard. It wasn't the sort of thing that sounded hard, but it just was. The terrain of far West Godai was a dusty, scrubby mess of formless land. A brisk winter wind was continuously blowing in Manny's face no matter how much she screamed at it and asked it why it couldn't just change directions already. The sun was intense in the sky, crisp and clear and unforgiving. Suffice to say, she ended up with chapped lips and a pretty intense sunburn after the first few miles.

Manny's face was bright Corphish red within a few hours of walking. Part of her knew her mother would have said something smug, chiding her for her obviously idiocy, but that only made Manny keep walking. She wasn't about to stop, especially with the idea of Jackie nagging her in the back of her head.

And so it was that Manny walked and walked and walked, the monotony of it setting her teeth on edge and making her snappier than usual. Sometimes she heard the passing of a distant car and shouted at it, cursing its luck. Mostly she just talked to Aquila every once in awhile.

"Can't you just whip your wings and do something about this fricking wind?" she asked the fluffy chick clinging to her jacket.

Aquila scrawed in reply, clenching his talons so deep Manny felt them prick her chest.

"Ugh, that's a no. Useless little brat." Though Manny's words were harsh, there was a certain fondness in her eyes. It was easy to miss, but there it was. She did appreciate her partner. It was too bad that he seemed intent on tearing a series of large holes in Manny's favorite jacket. First the bite to the arm, and now these claw marks. She'd have to try to fix it up once she got to the next town over, not that Manny even knew how to sew.

Speaking of the bite wound, it twinged in pain whenever Manny so much as moved her arm, and her sleeve was just a little bit bloodstained. While the pain was uncomfortable and unbearably itchy as it scabbed over, the blood in her jacket made Manny just a little bit proud. The few trainers she had passed had looked at her like she was insane, and she'd chased after them for a little bit just to spite them. Not even trainers would stand up to someone who wanted to do them bodily harm, apparently.

All in all, by the time Manny reached a rest stop, she was both sweaty and shivering, her face bright red but her lips cracked, her hair all a-mess, and to top in all off she was wearing a ratty, bloody jacket full of holes.

The person running the place gave her an amused look and said, "Rough day?"

"Rough life?" Manny sneered right back. "It's the only thing that explains that face of yours."

"Oh," said the woman. She was not actually unattractive, with a chubby, heart-shaped face granted a pixie-like quality but the slant of her eyes and the point of her chin. "Well, aren't you friendly?"

"Yeah, yeah," Manny dismissed her easily, yanking Aquila from her clothes and snarling as she heard them tear. "I need a place to lay down for a minute." Aquila gave a mighty shriek at being jostled so quickly. Both women cringed at the high-pitched sound.

"Get your bird to shut up and you can sit anywhere you like," the woman rubbed her temples. "I can feel the migraine coming now."

Torn between being more fed up with Aquila for making such a ruckus and the lady for presuming she had any right to tell Manny's Pokemon to shut up, Manny ultimately decided that she needed to sit down. "Get back in your ball if you're gonna be a snot about everything," she grumbled, whipping out Aquila's Pokeball and returning him to it. The dirty deed done, Manny more fully entered the building.

It smelled like flowers and it looked like them too. Anything that could possibly have a floral print had one, including the dress of the woman lounging behind the desk. "Thanks," said she, pushing her thumb in soothing circles across the side of her head. At Manny's glower, she blinked and put her other hand up defensively. "Nevermind, wow. Sit wherever you want. I sell flowers, too, but something tells me you're not interested."

"Something tells you right," Manny scoffed, flopping hard onto a paisley couch. "Why would I want your dumb allergy puffs?"

"Oh, I don't know. They're pretty?"

"Sure, pretty useless."

Manny busied herself pulling off her jacket and inspecting the damage while the woman behind the counter blinked stupidly. A scowl deepened on her face, growing ever more severe as she fingered the frayed hole on the sleeve. It hadn't seemed so bad at first, but now that she was looking at it, Manny could tell it was one bad tear away from falling off. She spat a few colorful words and, with surprising care, set the jacket to the side.

Her dress was sleeveless and, without her jacket to cover her arms, Manny was chilled. She itched at the scab on her arm, peeling away little bits of redblack crust. When the blood started welling up again, Manny winced and stopped, mumbling yet another curse.
[+] spoiler
Basil Tolman • Insomniac • Total EXP Gained: 0 • Dians: 1000 • Location: Cascadia
[+] spoiler
Gwen • Female • Level 5 • 0 EXP
Attack: 6
Sp. Attack: 9
Defense: 6
Sp. Defense: 16 (31%)
Speed: 13 (26%)
[+] spoiler
Name: Manny Mendoza
Dians: 3622
EXP Gained: 32
Last known location: The Tribule Karsts

[+] spoiler
Aquila • Male • Level 13 • 32 EXP
Attack: 43 (30% [42] + .03(42) [1])
Sp. Attack: 31
Defense: 16
Sp. Defense: 21
Speed: 33

June 12th, 2015, 9:26 pm #2

"Got quite a mouth on you, don't you?"

Apparently this lady didn't know when to shut up, and Manny shot her a look full of daggers and hate. "How about you mind your own business and I won't rearrange your fat face," she sneered.

Mew, did she do anything but blink dumbly in response to Manny's antagonisms? It was frustrating beyond belief. "Holy crackers. We got Miss Sunshine and Rainbows over here, everybody," said the woman, as if to an invisible audience. Maybe she was talking to the myriad of blooming plants she kept on her desk, actually. She seemed Zubatty enough.

"Ugh, shut your pie hole. I can't listen to all the dumbness that keeps pouring out of it," Manny grumped, at this point frowning so hard that her cracked lips were starting to bleed themselves. She was tired; she had walked at least thirty miles today at a rough estimate and every part of her hurt. There wasn't a bit of her that didn't want to lay down on this couch and go right to bed. Even the part of her that usually leapt at the chance to fight someone was itching to just sleep.

"Man, I've seen rookies turned mean by their first march before, but you just about take the cake," the woman said, not heeding Manny at all. "You can nap there if you want. I don't mind. Just stop yelling at me, alright?"

Irked, Manny replied in a low growl born of both tiredness and pain. "Like I need your permission. You're lucky I've got sunburn or I'd break you and smash all your plants." Even as she spoke, she was reclining, giving into the natural urge to stretch out her aching body.

"Oh gods above, aren't you something?" Her tone was amused, her lips upturned impishly. Still, Manny noted the way she shifted in her seat, all defensive, hands folding over the top of the counter next to a plastic plaque that said "Dia." Manny filed away the idea of breaking every stupid potted plant in this joint for later. "I can't tell if you're grumpy from weather exposure or just a jerk." Rather than respond verbally, Manny stuck up her favorite finger. "Yeah, okay, I'm gonna go with just a jerk."

Already, Manny's eyes were slipping closed. She grumbled out something that wasn't quite words, but the offensive intent was clear.

"Even your sleep sounds are angry. You're just a little pink ball of rage, huh?" the woman presumed to be Dia smirked, resting her cheek on an open palm. Manny simply growled. "Yeah, that's you." Dia didn't even get a response this time- Manny was gone to the world, even with the sunset slanting over her burned face through the window.

Ten minutes later, she began to snore. Dia groaned and rubbed her temples with lazy irritation. She hated the ones who snored more than she hated the ones who bit out insults every chance they got. Insults were entertaining, at least, but snores were just loud and obnoxious. The shopkeep settled down in her seat and prepared herself for a long couple of hours broken only by the occasional trainer traveling between Sangproctor and the Tribule Karsts. They probably wouldn't even buy flowers, the heathens.

Not even twenty minutes later, though, Manny's face twisted up and she started to twitch in her sleep. Dia leaned forward in concern as Manny began to mutter under her breath. It was all nonsense, words thrown together about stars and numbers and colors. Whatever Manny was dreaming about, it was pretty weird; it also seemed to escalate. It wasn't a happy dream, apparently.

Manny's straying limbs caught her jacket and knocked it to the floor, Pokeballs spilling out and spinning across the ground like so many marbles. A red light filled the air, and suddenly there was a fluffed up Rufflet on Dia's floor.

"Oh, come on," Dia muttered, praying to the gods she kept that the little thing wouldn't start pitching a fit. He did chirp, puffing out in surprise, but after he spotted Manny he seemed to relax. Aquila clawed his way up onto the couch and sat at the crook of Manny's neck, resting his mane of feathers directly on her face.

Dia had to cover her mouth so she didn't giggle, especially when Manny let out a mighty sneeze and flipped violently away from him. Squawking, Aquila flapped his wings aggressively, beating at Manny's back.

"Stop," Manny groaned, her voice gravelly in that 'I'm barely awake' sort of way. Aquila did not stop. If anything, his tiny appendages seemed to whip harder, angrier. "Stop it." Manny's voice took a slow, low edge, but still Aquila persisted.

"I said stop!" she roared at last, turning about and grappling with her Pokemon. She struggled to contain him in her arms, but Aquila fought wildly with beak and claw, tearing open a few new slices in Manny's skin and shrieking all the while. It wasn't until the two of them fell off the couch that their arguing ceased in favor of a moment of shock.

Manny took the opportunity to secure Aquila tightly in an almost-hug, crawling back onto the couch thunking her head down. "Now let me sleep, stupid," she murmured.

Desperately, Dia tried not to laugh. When she couldn't help herself anymore and she thought this angry rookie trainer was good and heavily asleep, she excused herself to the back room and bellowed with hearty laughter.
[+] spoiler
Basil Tolman • Insomniac • Total EXP Gained: 0 • Dians: 1000 • Location: Cascadia
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

June 13th, 2015, 12:16 am #3

"Pst, hey. Miss Sunshine."

Nope. Manny wasn't doing this.

"Get up, come on. My shift is over and Yvonne doesn't like people sleeping on the furniture."

Between the aching, tearing sensation of sunburn and the talons of sleep pierced into her brain, Manny was not going to move, thank you very much.

"Seriously, I'll pick you up if I have to."

"You won't," Manny snapped at last, suddenly disturbed by the dry foul feeling of her mouth and the prickly liquid feeling of her body. Her skin didn't feel like her own. The sensation of the couch beneath her was rough and scratchy but somehow distant, and the sleeping feathery bundle in her arms was nothing but a soft airy brush against her.

Dia chuckled softly. "Then get up, would you? Yvonne will be here any minute."

"Yvonne can suck my left butt cheek."

A titter of giggles startled their way out of Dia's throat. "She won't appreciate that either. Come on. Look, you're heading for the Karsts, right? I can drive you there. I'm going that way too."

"Don't need your charity," Manny grumbled, even as the twinge in her feet screamed at her from her miles of walking through the day. Unfortunately, the pain only intensified as Manny sat up and yawned wide and loud. The scrunch of her face felt like it was ripping her skin apart. She radiated heat like she had a fever, but no. It was just her sun-cooked skin. Curses dropped from between her lips like so many Ekans and Politoed, as if she were in some old fairy tale. Indiscretely, Manny turned her gaze out the window and realized she'd once again woken up at some weird hour of the morning. It was dark outside, but at least the sky was clear and the moon was waxing.

"Don't think of it as charity, then," Dia implored, that mischievous smile set on her face naturally, as if she never even thought about it. "Think of it as keeping your feet from falling off. I know the walk from here to Sangproctor, alright? It isn't fun."

Manny grimaced and then swore even more as it stretched her burns. "I'm fine, I had tons of fun on the walk over here," she lied straight through her teeth. "Maybe you're just out of shape. Wouldn't surprise me. Look at that hugenormous tummy on you."

She meant it to sound mean, but Dia just ran her hand over the supple curves of her belly and grinned. "Yeah, whatever. You know I'm hot, Sunshine. Don't need to cover it up with that layer of denial." Either the heat of Manny's comments was just going straight to her sunburn instead of falling out of her mouth, or Dia was pretty confident. Whatever the case, Manny's heart stuttered and she covered it up with the darkest look she could manage.

She was angry, suddenly, at Dia's confidence. Not that she really needed a reason to be angry in the first place; she was Emmanuel Mendoza. "You might have great tits, but that doesn't make whatever's coming out of your mouth bearable," Manny said, low and angry and meant to hurt.

"You think I have great tits, huh?" Dia raised her eyebrows devilishly.

"Mew, shut up!" Manny barked. If her face hadn't been red already, it would be now, a great heavy blush. Talk about backfiring. "I'm not getting in any sort of car with you, pervert. You've gotta be a predator."

Laughing, Dia said, "Suit yourself, Sunny. Enjoy the three hour, ten mile walk to the Karsts." Manny's feet begged her to reconsider as Dia turned to go, a purse at her side and her keys spinning around one finger.

"I will," Manny grit out instead of listening to her feet, but then she stood. Her body was so sore she felt it creak and crack and another curse escaped her involuntarily. Now, with her entire body yelling at her- including the parts that were staring at Dia's plush rump -Manny took a step forward. She was the sort of person that ran on instinct above all else. Usually that instinct was cruel and antagonistic and the sort of thing that would start a fight.

Right now, however?

"Wait!"

Dia paused at the door and turned around, that curled smile on her face. "Yes?" she drawled out.

Refusing to be embarrassed by her outburst, Manny masked it with irritation. "Let me get my jacket. Friggin' busybody, twisting my arm like this."

"I didn't twist anybody's arm," Dia smiled, turning so that she was next to the door instead of in front of it. The flowery wallpaper against her dress was complete overkill, and yet somewhere in Manny's hormonal teenage brain it registered as charming. Manny edged around, finding her jacket where she left it. It was curiously folded, Pokeballs nestled on top of it. Shifting her arms, Manny managed to somehow pick up Aquila's ball without disturbing him and returned him into it.

Arms now free, Manny scooped up her Pokeballs and threw on her jacket.

The door opened and a woman in a set of flower print scrubs walked in at about the same time. Her hair was long, blonde, and pulled into a respectably functionable ponytail that Manny instantly hated. The rest of her face was unremarkable and a little bit severe, with a long nose and small eyes. "Hey Yvonne," Dia said with a little wave.

"Ah, hello," replied she, her voice strangely accented. Manny didn't have a lot of experience with accents beyond that of her father's very faint one, and the thick sound of Yvonne set her teeth on edge. "You are off to hunt flowers now, yes?"

"Yeah, got it in one!" Dia's smile persisted almost continuously. "Angel's Star won't find itself."

"I wish you good luck. The boss wants many pictures."

"Right. Okay, Sunshine, let's go!" With that, Dia sashayed out the door, idly spinning her car keys around her finger again. Manny brushed past Yvonne, knocking into her side with a dirty look. Completely taken by surprise, the woman furrowed her brow and looked after Manny with some confusion. Her lips pursed as though she might say something, but Manny was already gone, following Dia.

Fortunately, not everything belonging to these people involved massive amounts of flora. Dia's car was an (admittedly cheap) grayish jeep, meant for all sorts of terrains. "Hop in," Dia ordered, doing just that. She got into the car with aplomb, her hips wiggling and her body jiggling. Manny swallowed dryly and sneered at herself, at everyone, at everything.

This was going to be a long trip.
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

June 13th, 2015, 2:37 am #4

The land between the rest stop and the Tribule Karsts was just as formless as all that had preceded it. The only difference was it all went by faster, fast enough that it was a blur. It was so late the streets were empty, and they were on the back roads anyway. What cars they did pass didn't even turn their brights off, which of course made Manny yell at them. Dia tried to get her to stop at first, but after two cars and a growing migraine, she eventually just rolled down all the windows and let Manny scream to her heart's content.

Fortunately, other cars were few and far between. "What's your name, anyway?" Dia asked, her eyes sliding from the road and onto Manny's face.

"Keep your eyes on the road you crazy broad! What're you trying to do, get us killed?" Manny snarled right back, avoiding the question.

Eyes twinkling, Dia smiled over-wide. "No, if I was trying to get us killed, I'd do something like this," and then she began to jerk the steering wheel, first left, then right. On these gravelly back roads, it felt like they could go spinning out in any direction, and Manny was screaming death threats before she could actually register what she was saying. Manny lunged against her seat belt, reaching for the wheel, but Dia righted them before anything could come of the whole mess. "You're so jumpy," she grinned, almost viciously. "And you didn't tell me your name."

Manny was sort of busy having a heart attack. "Let me out of here, you're trying to kill me. That's how you get your kicks, you're just fugging psycho. You don't even need to offer a lollipop or have a Drifloon, the kids just follow you with your stupid flowery perfume- by the way, clean your car, it smells like you rub petals across the seats for fun." Words were spilling out of her mouth at a mile a minute, born of panic and anger. One of her hands found the door handle, as thought she might throw it open and tuck and roll.

"Flowers are part of my work! Now, Miss Sunshine, stop screaming and just tell me your name already, okay? I won't juke the jeep anymore if you do," Dia toed the gas, speeding them up some, and Manny jolted in her seat. "I'm Dia Pyne, if that helps any."

"It doesn't, thanks. Take your name and shove it where the sun don't shine. I don't give my identity to strangers," said Manny in one angry wheezing breath. The car jerked hard to the right and Manny cussed so loud Sangproctor probably heard it. "I will puke on everything in this car!" The threat fell on deaf ears. Apparently Dia was just going to ignore her until Manny gave up her name. "I swear to Mew I will cut your brakes when you leave!" Even that attempt was fruitless, and the car swerved violently toward the left.

Dia practically sang. "All you have to do is tell me your name!"

"Crazy fuc--" the car pitched to the right and Manny bit her tongue. "It's Manny, okay?! Just stop, I'm gonna get sick!"

"Manny?" Dia ran her tongue across her teeth as if in thought. "That's a name. Is it short for something?"

"Are you short for something?" Manny bit back unintelligibly, but at Dia's dangerously playful look, she righted herself. "I literally am going to puke, stop jerking me around." She paused then, raking her hands through her hair and realizing her braid was coming undone. As she redid it, she added with some hesitancy, "It's short for Emmanuel."

"Oh, retro," Dia replied, and before Manny could get defensive she said, "I like it! It's not as fun as Sunshine, though."

"Sunshine is a stupid name."

"Why else would I dub you that?" said she, all tongue in cheek, showing all her teeth in that smile that could make a Poochyena scared.

Manny scowled, running her nails up and down the seat belt over her chest as if she could tear through it. "What sort of name is Dia, anyway? Three letters ain't enough for a name, let alone one for someone as big as you."

"I don't know! I didn't choose it," the driver shrugged, unoffended, leaning forward over the steering wheel and squinting. Dia focused hard on something distant for half a moment, though when Manny looked she saw nothing but dust and grass and the odd Pokemon. "We should be there soon! The moon's still out and everything. The Angel's Star will be blooming. Gods my boss is going to be happy. Mmm, that bonus is going to be so sweet."

Rambling was not something Manny dealt with easily, and even cute girls were no exception. She grit her teeth and bit down into the seat belt; it had a sort of salty skin tang that probably came from sweat. When she could take no more, Manny burst out, "Would you at least explain what you're talking about before you go on forever about something? The heck is an Angel Star?"

Dia side-eyed Manny again, her eyes completely denying the road and all its gravelly glory. "It's a rare flower. Usually it comes with just one or two blossoms and only blooms at night during early winter or late fall." Her voice actually became educational, passionate. She really did love flowers. "It's so scarce that picking it is illegal. You only really ever find a few every couple of years, anyway, and by you I mean everyone in Godai. Seriously, it's a rare thing. I've never seen one up close before, but some trainers mentioned their Pokemon going a little crazy over in the Karsts, and that's usually a sign." Seeming to realize how long she'd been going on, Dia gave half a smile and flipped up her turn signal.

Belligerently, Manny stared out the window. "You talk too much."

"I guess it's a good thing that we're almost there, then. This parking lot up ahead is about as close as we can get to this end by driving," and even as Dia spoke, they pulled into a cracked up parking lot. A sign near it read 'Tribule Karsts south entrance parking,' and under that in subprint 'Cars left for one week will be towed.'

Manny wondered briefly why someone would leave their car for a week, but the thought of idiots getting themselves killed quickly surfaced. "Yeah, let me out of here, I don't need to be in a car with a psycho anymore," Manny sneered, unclicking her seat belt just as they pulled into a parking space.

"Aw, Sunshine, you make me all warm and fuzzy inside," Dia fluttered her eyelashes.
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

June 13th, 2015, 7:40 pm #5

The two of them got out of the car. While Dia stretched her limbs, Manny withdrew Aquila's Pokeball and released him to the open air. Perturbed, Aquila fluffed out and whipped his head around. He was completely at odds with how he kept appearing in random places, uncertain of how he got there. "Relax, featherbutt," Manny snorted at his antics. "We're gonna go beat things up and you're gonna like it."

Aquila appreciated the sentiment, but all his tiny little feathers stood on end. He hopped toward Manny and, utilizing the sharp points of his claws, tore his way up to her shoulder. "Ow, come on, what the heck?" Manny swatted at him. He merely chirruped and pecked at her fingers until she stopped for fear of losing one. "Birdbrain," she huffed.

That's about when Dia began to laugh. Manny whipped around, near oblivious to the way Aquila's talons tightened so he could keep his balance. "What're you laughing at?"

"You." Dia kept no pretenses, the smile on her face as infinite as it could be. It was ever-aggravating to Manny's senses, and there was this sliding scale of 'holy crap she's really attractive' to 'holy crap let me kill her' dipping back and forth in her mind. "Miss Sunshine, seriously, you just called your Pokemon featherbutt. How could I not be laughing?"

"Get a better sense of humor," jeered Manny, eyes narrowing to slits. Dia only laughed a little more, and Manny took a sharp hissing breath between the gap in her teeth. Her hands pressed into fists, but rather than punch this attractive girl, Manny kicked one of her tires. "Whatever. Later, loser, I'm out. Don't, I dunno, get in a car crash and die on your way back. Oh, wait, yeah. Do that." There was suitable venom in her voice, enough to make Dia pause and blink. Again with the blinking! Manny's teeth showed in a wicked display of epic proportions.

The car doors open and shut as Manny walked away, presumably due to the fact that Dia was hurrying to retrieve things from the backseat. "Hey, wait up," she called, harried for the first time since Manny had seen her. Around her neck there was a strap holding a large black camera, the sort meant to take cinematic photos. Aquila eyed her suspiciously, a low noise in his throat.

"Mew, you stupid to boot? I just told you to go die! Stay away from me."

Manny's derisions still didn't seem to bother Dia, but at long last the smile on her face turned to something else. It wasn't much of something else, given that it still involved the slant of her lips being upturned, but nonetheless. She looked a little more subdued, sort of Mareepish. "Alright, Sunny, you're angry. I get that. Still, I have a favor to ask of you."

"Whatever it is, no. Screw off. Go take pictures of that dumb Angelo Star," Manny barked, and the volume of her voice disturbed Aquila, who started to screech.

Now Dia was cringing, her hands moving to her temples on instinct. Her stride fell behind Manny's. Though her legs were longer, she didn't have the oomph to deal with screaming girls and their shrieking birds. "By Shaymin's thumbnail, the two of you are loud. Listen, though. I can pay you if you help me!"

The offer barely made Manny pause in consideration. It wasn't hard to decide what to say. "I don't need your money. Leave me alone!" She turned on Dia now, grabbing her by the strap wrapped around her neck, her burned face stretching in a most uncomfortable way.

Confronted by a yowling Rufflet and an angry pinkette, what's a girl to do? Smile, apparently. "I'm not offering money," Dia said in a mild voice, as though Manny didn't have her by the throat. She reached up and ran her fingers along Manny's arm, slow and with a hint of sensual.

Manny's eyes widened and she turned the color of a Tomato berry. Well, alright, she was already the color of a Tomato berry, but she was blushing now. She was frozen by what she interpreted as Dia's forward proposition.

"I'm offering my sewing skills!" Dia's fingers found the hole in Manny's sleeve and wiggled into it, playfully brushing across the scab there. Manny leapt away as if she'd been bitten, so fast Aquila couldn't hang on. He didn't flutter to the ground so much as fall in a wild heap, chattering shrilly and shooting Manny a dirty look.

Her heart pounding, Manny did little more than breathe harshly for a second. When she regained her mental footing, she flashed her canines in that Growlithe-esque way, trying to show dominance. "You try to molest me and think you're gonna lay one finger on my jacket? No. No way!" She bent at the middle, lowering her arm to give Aquila a perch. As he climbed, the jacket ripped further. Manny pretended not to be distressed.

"Really? Look at that thing. It's ratty. I bet you wear it every day, and it's about to fall apart at the seams. Do you really want that to happen?"

"No, but I sure as heck ain't trusting someone like you to fix it up!"

Dia tsked. "Okay, fine. If that's really what you want. I'm sure you'll find some professional in Sangproctor who doesn't care about it at all. They'll keep it all night and power wash it to dim out the color. It'll look good as new. It won't have any character anymore, or any of the things that made it look like itself, but I'm sure you're fine with that!" Her eyes twinkled dangerously and she flapped her hands in a dismissive way, as if she hadn't a care in the world about all of that.

Although this was a blatant attempt at manipulation, Manny shifted uncomfortably on her feet. Unconsciously, she clenched her hand around the cuff of one sleeve and tugged gently, feeling the familiar fabric. This jacket had been with her for a long time; it had worn thin with age and use. Its silky inner lining was full of holes. It used to be she could keep things in there, change or whatever she liked, but now it was so perforated nothing would stay. "...What's the thing you want me to do?" she asked, and then, "And stop grinning like that! I haven't said yes yet, moron."

"Alright, Sunshine, here's the deal!" Dia exclaimed cheerfully, sauntering forward toward the Karsts. Manny walked even with her, suspicious of the way her hips swayed. It had to have been a diversion. "I'm no trainer. Don't have a license or anything. It's never really been my thing," she shrugged. "But! I'm going into this big dangerous canyon full of wild Pokemon. You see the issue here? I need some manpower. If only there were a trainer around who could help me while I look for the Angel's Star! Oh, here you are."

"Still haven't said yes yet," Manny curled her lip. She hated this. She hated Dia. She hated basically everything except the jacket on her back on the Rufflet on her shoulder.

Dia stood at the edge of the canyon that was the Tribule Karsts and Manny came up just beside her. Out in front of them, the spires of rock that gave the Tribule Karsts their name towered. The one nearest was large and covered in brush, but many of them were too small for more than one person to stand on safely. Some rose out of the ground like great monoliths of dark reddish stone, poked full of roots from gnarled trees that had decided to grow on them. It was a daunting sight.

"I'm waiting, then!" said Dia in a sing-songing lilt.

Manny wondered how illegal it was to shove Dia off the edge, down into the fast running river below. Considering the lady'd probably die, she was placing bets on reasonably illegal. Crossing her arms and biting her lip and despising every second of this particular moment, Manny spoke. "Yeah, alright. If you piss me off I'm throwing you into the river, though."

"Wouldn't you know it, I just learned how to swim!" Dia smirked, and then she made the first leap out onto a scrubby plateau.

After a moment, Manny followed, making the three and a half foot jump with ease. Aquila chirred on her shoulder, digging in hard.
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

June 14th, 2015, 3:21 am #6

For all his squawking, Aquila seemed perfectly at home in the chilly night air of the Tribule Karsts. As Dia and Manny weaved their way over craggy precipeces and careened across dangerous wide gaps, Aquila relaxed further and further, becoming a limp lump. His talons remained clenched tight, but the rest of him was a barely there ball of feathers and chill. Even so, his eyes were alert, scanning the sights with enthusiasm. Occasionally upon seeing something he would shift and chirp, spreading his small wings in excitement.

Of course, Manny would bat at him then, because his wings were getting in her face. They'd bicker for a little bit, throwing shrieks and 'birdbrain's at each other until the next large gap between the pillars of stone rose up.

Dia led the way, primarily, in spite of the fact that she seemed to have no idea where she was going. Sometimes she'd stop and dig around in the tall dry grass that grew intermittently throughout the Tribule Karsts while Manny stood back and tried desperately not to stare at her rearend. She failed, mostly, unless Aquila pecked her in the ear. Inevitably, that would kick up another argument, and Dia would muffle her chuckles while she hunted for flowers.

They were hopping across a difficult series of steps barely larger than their feet when Dia decided to strike up an actual conversation.

"It's weird, isn't it? We've hardly seen any Pokemon. I heard there were all sorts of Fighting types out here." Dia bounced from rock to rock, a useless flipflop in either hand. Wearing them was dangerous out here, where one slip-up could send her plummeting into the river.

Manny's leaps were slightly less assured. She was unwilling to take off her clunky boots and Aquila was a strange weight on her shoulder. "Who cares? Less Pokemon means a faster trip for you." There was a bitter edge to her voice. Manny did want to see new Pokemon. Part of it was beating them up so Aquila could get stronger, but maybe she'd find something catchable in all this muck. If they didn't get a glimpse of anything, how was that going to happen?

It wouldn't, that's how. Manny basically fell onto the next mesa big enough for her to have some semblance of balance on. Ahead of her, Dia was as spry as a young woman could be and surprisingly quick on her feet. "Yeah, but does the phrase 'It's a trap!' mean anything to you? The Angel's Star is known to have all sorts of weird effects on Pokemon. They might be congregating somewhere, and if we run into them- well, there's a lot of dangerous Pokemon here!"

"See, you say Pokemon act strange around your stupid flower, except Aquila's been fine this entire time. This is all a crock of Tauros crap." Manny squinted at the next leap and judged it too long to make across without a running start. "Your fruity thing probably isn't even here!" She grunted as she pulled back and then dashed forward, clearing the chasm and skidding across the top of the next karst over. Her feet kicked up red dust and Aquila chattered angrily in her ear.

Dia put her hands on her hips, shoes and all, looking pretty silly and yet perfectly beautiful with that grin on her face. "I have a good feeling about tonight. I'm sure it's here," she declared before making that same running leap, nearly bumping into Manny.

Grumpy looks were given. "Watch it," Manny groused, pulling away from the other girl. Winking, Dia set her shoes to the side and began to look through a patch of thorny blossoms. Their petals were pale red, five points spiraling out from a dark center. So many of them grew in such a dense thicket that they leaked out over the edge of the stone and rooted along its side.

"Ow, gods," Dia hissed, yanking her fingers back from the cluster. She popped her thumb into her mouth, but not before Manny caught a hint of the bright red of blood.

"Why do you keep saying that?" asked Manny, agitated.

"Mm?" Raising her eyebrows quizzically, Dia turned toward Manny. She let her face do the talking, as her lips were still pulled tight around her thumb.

"'Gods'! It's stupid. Like there's more than one god."

There Dia's eyebrows went, vanishing into her hairline. She pulled her thumb out of her mouth and squeezed it between her fingers. "You didn't strike me as the religious type, Miss Sunshine." The incredulousness in her voice made Manny bristle, which in turn made Aquila bristle. He cawed loudly.

"I'm not!" she said, her voice ten shades of stand-offish. "I just know what I know and I know there's not more than one god. Anything more than one would be dumb." Truth be told, Manny hadn't put a lot of thought into her religion. She didn't celebrate any of the holidays or practice any of the practices or go to a Meudrisa. In fact, she was a pretty pisspoor Meuist, given her track record at school. Still, here Manny was, violently insisting that there was only one god.

"Wow," Dia blinked, picking her shoes up again. She leapt to another stone and gestured for Manny to follow. "Leap with me, Sunny, and let's talk without you swearing at me for about ten seconds."

Warily, Manny went after her. "What, you gonna say more things that don't make sense?"

"No, come on. You're Meuist, right?"

"Why the heck would you know that?"

"You blaspheme her every chance you get. I'm not stupid, whatever you seem to think!"

They continued to leap from stone to stone, getting ever closer to sheer block of stone in the center of the Tribule Karsts. It loomed over them, blotting out the moon as they entered its shadow.

"That's up for debate," Manny muttered lowly, but Dia heard her and picked up a small, nearby stone. She flicked it at Manny's head, but her aim was off and it skittered through Aquila's fluff. He shrieked and, coming alert instantly, leapt off Manny's shoulder and charged Dia. She laughed, holding Aquila away with one bare foot. Manny snarled. "Don't hit my Pokemon or when we find that Star Thing I'm going to friggin' burn it."

At that, Dia sobered up quite nicely. "That's illegal, you know," she murmured, the smile dying from her face. Aquila nipped at her foot, but Dia knelt down and rubbed through the fluff of his feathers until he relaxed enough to totter back to Manny. His trainer scooped him up and he was again content.

"Don't care. Don't hit my Pokemon. I don't give a damn if it was an accident or not, I will destroy you and everything you love," Manny's timbre grew dangerous and her eyes flashed. She might have been scary if it weren't for the hilariously terrible sunburn. As it happened, Dia shrugged and nodded, a bit of shame curdling in her stomach that she didn't know how to deal with. Shame was not something she felt often.

"Anyway," she said, starting to walk again. If she was going to feel all gross, Dia would rather shake it off than anything. "Meuism promotes knowledge above all else, right? How are you supposed to learn anything if you won't listen to new ideas?

Manny's eyes remained dark, unhappy, and she ground her teeth together. "Who gives a Rattata's tail? I don't know why we're talking about this. It's not like religion ever helped anyone anyway. Why the heck would you want more than one god when the one I have is crap already?"

"Mm," Dia's mouth tilted curiously, wondering if pressing Manny was the best option. It seemed, however, that she'd touched an enraging subject, because Manny continued her rant without the slightest prodding.

"Sure, it's bad enough being smart is the only thing important in this stupid religion and they don't even talk about being gay like ever, but now it's all ingrained inside of me. It's like I'm fuggin' brainwashed, defending something I don't even care about just because I grew up with it. Religion is stupid. You're stupid for having gods, plural, why would you even want them?" Manny grew more and more agitated as she spoke, her volume rising. Soon her rant was echoing around the canyon. Somewhere far away a group of Swablu took flight.

Uncertain of how to answer, Dia merely pursed her lips. Then, of course, a large dark shape rose out of the scrubgrass behind Manny, and she didn't want to answer anymore.

"Manny," Dia snapped, serious as a heart attack, and at the same time Aquila began to scream. Cued in to the fact that something was wrong, that Dia's eyes were fixed on something behind her, Manny whipped around. She had to tip her head up to meet the eyes of their aggressor.

"Oh, hell."
[+] spoiler
Pokemon
PokeDex Info
Level
Stats
MoveSet

Hariyama
[+] spoiler
So this girl is a sweet and kind thing. She was just released by a breeder after being bred in captivity, after her parents had been rescued from the area last year. She evolved rather early for one of her species, though this has caused her to have a slightly reduced resolution and thus, cannot take hits as well as other Hariyama can. (her health was reduced from Monstrous to Intermediate, but can be changed back to Monstrous if captured) Yet, despite this detriment, her previous owner decided that she would be better off learning the ways of wild pokemon. Ever since she made it to the Tribule Karsts, she’s been making lots of friends. She’s rather graceful on her big feet and loves to help others. She also has a risky side to her. However, something has been a little off in the area lately, and there’s this one particular Primeape that’s been seeking her out for some reason. So she’s being slightly cautious.
Type: Fighting
Ability: Guts
14Total Stats: 168
Attack: 66
Defense: 27
Sp. Attack: 12
Sp. Defense: 20
Speed: 43
1. Focus Energy
1. Tackle
4. Sand-Attack
7. Arm Thrust
10. Fake Out
13. Force Palm

Feint Attack (Egg Move)

Proof of Roll
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

June 16th, 2015, 4:25 am #7

Manny's face set. She didn't back down, not even from Pokemon two and a half feet taller than her. "Aquila!" she barked, and he squawked in reply. "Sic 'em!"

Aquila jumped from her shoulder in a tangle of wild feathers, landing hard on the stone of the karst. His claws dug gouges into the ground and he pawed at it, lowering his head in a stance that meant business. He was ready to charge. In fact, he was already charging, lunging forward as though he didn't care in the slightest that he was in danger.

The reckless abandon at which these two threw themselves into battle startled Dia. Trainers were supposed to issue commands or something, weren't they? But no, it was just Manny and Aquila, looking savage. Aquila's war cry rose up into the night air, unbearably high-pitched. Dia surreptitiously shoved her fingers into her ears.

Whatever move Aquila was attempting to use with his head down like that was made useless by Hariyama's easy side-step. Her face was delicately confused, more than a little concerned. "Huh," she grunted curiously, craning her neck down toward Aquila. He met her eyes and screeched. The blue streaks of Hariyama's brow dipped as she stared down this wild creature. What an ironic sentiment, given that she was technically the wild creature here. She'd been raised by humans, but the wilderness had treated her well enough.

She reached out one massive three-fingered hand; it easily dwarfed Aquila's head, but he merely leaped at it, intent on causing damage.

"Come on, Aquila! Tear it to shreds!" howled Manny, digging her own heels into the ground. Being on the outside of a fight looking in was harder than she'd expected, less up close and personal. It wasn't a good feeling. She wanted to be there, climbing up Hariyama's shoulders and beating her across the head, but instead she was twitching on the sidelines. Manny didn't like just watching. It was too idle, too ridiculous, and all she could see was Aquila trying to Scratch up Hariyama's thick hands as they approached him.

The hands wrapped around him and took him further into the air, where he puffed out and skreed. His beak found tough orange skin and dug into it; Hariyama grunted in discomfort, but was otherwise unbothered. Aquila found himself gingerly held between three massive digits, and he did what he would probably always do when someone tried to hold him. He panicked and then he bit. There was no aura behind the pressure of his beak, only the intent to escape to a better vantage point.

Hariyama raised an indelicate brow and murmured lowly at him, but that did nothing to calm him down. Just as vicious as his trainer, Aquila continued to bite and tear, looking for weak points in the fatty flesh.

Finally after having had enough, Hariyama pressed one finger to his red and white crest and gently pushed his head back. This effectively pulled his beak from her skin. "Nuh," she grunted, giving an infinitesimal shake of her head. Aquila, of course, tried to snap at her finger. Almost seeming to sigh, Hariyama ran her enormous digit across his ruff. She did it again, and then again, and again, and she continued to do it.

She was petting him.

More specifically, she was attempting to pet him into submission, figuring that if he wouldn't listen to reason, she didn't necessarily have to do this the hard way. A lot of Pokemon liked petting, herself included. This tiny bird didn't have to break that mold just because he was a little wound up.

"What the heck?!" Manny whirled around shot Dia a dirty look as the other girl began to laugh.

"I don't think she wants to fight, Sunshine. Look at the face on her. She's a big sweetheart, you can tell."

"Big sweetheart my butt! She hopped out of the bushes just to scare us!" argued Manny, a deep and painful scowl set across her face. As bad as battling without actually being able to fight was, the embarrassment of her Pokemon getting stopped in such a ridiculous way was even worse.

Even more tragic was that it was actually working. Aquila's shrieks turned to chirrs and his chirrs turned to this weird trillpurr that made no sense to be coming out of a bird, but there it was. The little firecracker had a weakness for being petted, and Hariyama was exploiting it for all it was worth. She made a hiccuping raspy noise that Manny identified as a laugh. "Oh, shut up!" Manny howled, her face crunching into this painful aggressive expression.

It wasn't until Manny heard the clicks of photographs being taken that she really revved up, though. There was Dia, shooting potential blackmail photos of her starter getting patted down by a wild Hariyama. "Whaddya think you're doing?" Manny snapped, advancing on Dia, who only smiled that smile of hers and dropped her camera back down to her neck.

"Not a thing, Miss Sunshine," she blatantly bluffed, but Manny saw right through it.

"Don't you lie to me, fatso, I know where you work!"

Dia rolled her eyes. "Everyone between here and Sangproctor knows where I work. If you break in there the police will ask me who it was, and you know what I'll say? Miss Sunshine and Rainbows snuck in. They won't know what I mean, but that's irrelevant, because then I'll tell them your real name. Not like you don't stick out like a sore thumb anyway."

For once, Manny was the one blinking stupidly. "Do you actually listen to the words that come out of your mouth or do you talk just to annoy the people around you, because it really sounds like you have no idea the level of moron that just spews out of you like Weezing gas."

"Speak for yourself, Sunny," Dia said simply, grinning.

Right about then- and just on time, given that Manny was about ready the strangle Dia -Hariyama slowly, warily set Aquila down. He tottered back and forth, still trilling drunkenly, and flapped his wings at Hariyama's hefty thighs. 'Pick me back up,' his motions seemed to be saying, eyes narrowing the longer he went without pets. Hariyama chuckled, all gravel and rasp, and turned toward the two humans.

She and Dia made eye contact. "Hey," Dia waved, less nervous now that
Hariyama had proven herself to be pretty okay. Meanwhile, Manny swooped in and snagged Aquila, much to his distaste. He picked at the hole in her jacket and she battered his feathers in return; of course this began an argument, one that the other two present were fortunately not involved in.

"You a native?" Dia asked of the Hariyama, who squinted without understanding. "Yeah, look at me talking like you know what I'm saying. As if you would if you were actually native to the Karsts, right? Look, I know next to nothing about Pokemon theory. I didn't even own pets when I was younger. Still don't! I don't have the time, you feel me?" she spoke freely to Hariyama, who listened intently. "I know you're smart enough that there are people growing meat in test tubes rather than eat you, so you got that going for you, I guess."

Manny twisted her lip at Dia. "Are you really talking to a wild Pokemon?"

"Oh, be quiet, Sunshine. I just want to ask him- her? Who knows. I want to ask them about the flower! They might know where it is," Dia hushed her companion.

"Mew, it's just a big stupid lug like all the other Pokemon out here are, you're not going to get anything out of it. Everyone who's got a brain in their heads knows that only Pokemon who've been around humans can even start to get the language in their dumb little minds," scoffed Manny.

"Wow, Sunshine, would you just let me talk to 'em?"

"Go ahead, as if it'll help."

Hariyama, patiently waiting through this debacle, made a deep noise full of oomph from her chest. Her head tilted, almost as though she was gesturing for Dia to continue.

"Alright, thanks for waiting. Someone, cough cough, Sunshine, is kind of a jerk," Dia stuck her tongue out at Manny, "and I'd like to ask if you know where a very special flower is? It's called the Angel's Star. It probably smells sort of funny to you, and it's super rare and pretty. It looks like... uh," she paused and then started scratching in the stone topsoil. It whittled away slowly but easily, like sandstone, and when she was done there was a rough drawing of a flower carved into the ground.

Hariyama inspected it closely, leaning down. "Hnn," she said, eyeing they way the petals spiraled from the center and how very many of them there were. Though Dia's rambling human speech was mostly nonsensical to Hariyama's ears, she knew when something was being asked of her, and this drawing cinched it. She nodded, standing back to her full height.

"You do! Look at that. I told you so," Dia smirked toward Manny, who found this whole thing incredibly stupid. That was nothing new, though.

"Great, let's just follow our gigantic spirit guide through the death canyon to find the drug flower, then! Not. Are you dumb? This thing is probably just imitating something it saw a trainer do somewhere down the line. You wanna get us lost?"

"Sunny, do you think Pokemon just magically become smarter because a trainer catches them?"

Startled by what seemed to her to be a sudden subject change, Manny's shoulders crept up defensively. "What's that got to do with anything? You goin' wacky in attic?"

Dia raised her eyebrows. "Humor me, I'm waxing philosophical again. Do you really think that a human catching a Pokemon just makes them that much smarter?"

Frustrated, Manny threw up her arms. That disturbed Aquila a little bit, but she couldn't bring herself to care. Already his angry chirps were growing on her, becoming part of the background of everyday life. "Yeah! Humans are smarter than Pokemon. Humans catching Pokemon makes 'em smarter because it's a symbia- symbi- a mutual relationship or whatever, that's what they taught in school."

"Okay, but do you actually think Pokemon are stupid before humans catch them?" Dia's eyebrows raised even further. "They live on their own and survive on their own, right? They're sentient before they're caught, aren't they? I could be wrong--"

"--you are--"

"But that doesn't seem like the mark of a series of stupid species," Dia finished, at long last a little exasperated with Manny's antics.

And although Manny hated putting more thought than necessary into her arguments- in fact, she hated having arguments that weren't meant to hurt people -she had to actually consider what Dia was saying. Or rather, her logical brain tried to for maybe five seconds and then Manny crossed her arms and booted everything out of her head. "Can we just go already?"

A long, quiet moment passed. "Yeah, okay," said Dia, and turned to Hariyama. "Can you show us where the flower is?"

Hariyama put her massive hands up, the 'why not' written on her face, and began to lead the way.
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

June 17th, 2015, 3:50 am #8

As they grew closer and closer to the center of the Tribule Karsts, Manny stopped her scornful comments. The increasing altitude and the bright stars overhead had a calming on her; her eyes strayed upward more than forward now, so much so that she nearly walked off a plateau more than once. Thankfully, Aquila had her back. Rather literally, at that, given that he tore into her whenever she got too close to an edge without looking.

She'd snap at him half-heartedly then, pulling her gaze back down to the point where she wasn't about to fall off and die. With her bare feet, Dia was faring much better, and Hariyama was doing the best of them all. For being so large, she was sure and nimble-footed, often turning mid-jump without looking where she was going, certain that she would land.

"I like how you keep checking on us," Dia smiled at the wild Pokemon. "Scared we'll fall, huh?" As if to accent her point, Manny stumbled on an especially small stone and began to tip forward. Her swearing was loud, obnoxious, and made Hariyama shake her head.

The heavy Pokemon bounced backward and caught Manny in her arms, even as she squirmed and writhed to be free. "Let me go, you-- agh, come on!" Manny swore as Aquila fluttered free, skittering onto the nearest available perch. He'd probably been uncomfortable, squished in Hariyama's arms like that, or maybe she'd gotten too close to falling too many times.

Aquila by himself hopped the karsts like a pro, occasionally using his wings to glide across gaps that were too large for his little bird jumps alone. He wasn't a graceful glider, but it got the job done, and he was perfectly at ease doing it.

Well, as at ease as an angry lump of feathers can be.

When Hariyama finally set Manny down on a long, skinny mesa, Manny punched her in her massive gut. "Mff," the Pokemon said noncommittally, gently pushing Manny away.

"Don't treat me like a ragdoll!" yelled Manny, battering away with her fists. Though she did throw a mean punch, it was nothing compared to the tough skin and thick fat of Hariyama, who held her at arms' length with a single hand. Confusion spread across her face, and it was not unjustified.

Dia's lips quirked up. "She- he? -They just saved your life, Miss Sunshine. You could stand to be a little more sweet."

"Who the heck do you think I am?" Manny panted, rounding on her companion without a second thought. Her fists were up and out, and though Dia had a comfortable cushion of chub, she was nowhere near ready to take a beating from such bony little fingers.

"A cute pink haired girl full of sunshine and rainbows, obviously." She kept her tone perfectly mild, smirking when she saw Manny's brain catch up with the entire statement.

One could see it running across Manny's face, the irritation-turned-confusion-turned-fluster at getting called cute. Even with her sunburn, Manny had the adorableness factor. She just needed to stop frowning so much, however unlikely that was.

Man, was it unlikely. Manny finally settled on being annoyed but silenced, chomping down on her chapped lip and calling to Aquila. She wanted him on her shoulder again- she needed someone she could trust close so that Dia didn't catch her off guard again. That might not have been how it worked, but that was how Manny was going to play it.

Aquila didn't come because he was too busy looking up. Somehow, without either of them noticing, they'd come to the base of the monolith that was the center of the Tribule Karsts. Roots wove in and out of the stone in front of them, dry but undeniably living. Though the boulder really only rose fifteen or twenty feet above them, it had this feeling of greatness. It felt taller than it was, like it could blot out the moon and stars and whole sky if it wanted to.

Maybe it was the scent in the air, spicy sweet and immutable; maybe it was the way the roots seemed to rustle in the wind. Whatever the reason, this spire felt alive in a way none of the others hand.

Hariyama leaped into a tangle of roots and began to climb, leaving Dia, Manny, and Aquila no choice but to follow. "This is going to be safe," Dia said dryly, shoving her flipflops down the front of her dress and then taking a running jump at the side of what felt like a mountain. Manny stared at Dia, at her fearless jump, and felt her heart quicken. Then, not wanting to be bested, she whistled hard at Aquila and made the leap herself.

He seemed certain of his way, even as Manny scrambled desperately for footholds and handholds. A small litany of terrible words spilled from her lips as her fingers slipped from her first grip, but she caught the second just fine. Looking up provided two things: a sense of vertigo and a perfect view of Pokemon butt. Aquila was directly in her line of sight, and beyond that was Hariyama scaling the wall at incredible speeds. She disappeared up over the top before Manny had even taken her first step.

Determined not to linger on this sheer surface for longer than need be, Manny climbed. She kept her eyes up, focused on what stars she could see or Aquila or Dia or anything- anything was better than looking down. Height was good. Height when there was nothing beneath her, when she could die if she fell? Manny was quickly finding that she didn't like that quite so much.

In spite of all efforts, Aquila and Dia beat Manny to the top. Manny was just too exhausted and sore. Sleep hadn't cured her sunburn, chapped skin, or the ache in her feet.

The scent of sweet, thick pollen was like a second layer of the air up here. It was almost invigorating, to be able to smell something like that. There was just a whiff of cinnamon, the fresh odor of fallen autumn leaves, the essence of a crisp winter night; everything great about winter and fall was neatly wrapped up in the beautiful perfume of the Angel's Star.

Of more consequence, probably, was the angry Primeape squinting at them from near the tree whose roots they had used to climb up here.
[+] spoiler
Pokemon
Pokemon
PokeDex Info
Level
Stats
MoveSet

Primeape
(3%)
[+] spoiler
This sheila is trying to figure out why she’s been sneezing so much. It might just be the winter season, or the presence of this weird flower, but she just can’t lay her fist on it. Of course, it must be that weird Hariyama that’s new to the neighborhood. Everyone knows that outie’s (those non-natives) are full of weird gunk. So, this Primeape’s been actively seeking her out, in order to smack some sense into her. Yet, as she continues on this quest to find this Hariyama, her energy has been slowly dropping. And it’s starting to get cold soon. Her vision’s also getting blurry, and so she’s been attacking the first thing she sees, even if it isn’t the Hariyama. Yipes.
Type: Fighting
Ability: Anger Point
Health: Scrawny
28 Total Stats: 396 [392+4]
Attack: 122 [118 + 4]
Defense: 91
Sp. Attack: 3
Sp. Defense: 70
Speed: 110
1. Covet
1. Focus Energy
1. Leer
1. Low Kick
1. Scratch
9. Fury Swipes
13. Karate Chop
17. Seismic Toss
21. Screech
25. Assurance
28. Rage

No Unique Moves

Proof of Roll
There was a pregnant pause between all five of them, long enough for everyone to get a good bleary rundown of everyone else. Manny knew immediately that this Primeape was sort of sick, just judging by the crust at her nose and the glossy wetness of her eyes.

Then Hariyama shifted, and Primeape let out a primal sound of battle. She charged.

"Aquila!" Manny bit out, and he charged too.

As it was, Primeape was actually gunning for the Hariyama. Even with her eyes as watery and gross as they were, she could tell that shape and scent was just right. This was the outie causing all of her problems. A little bird was of no consequence to her.

Well, he wasn't right up until he pecked her in the eye. Aquila had taken complete advantage of Primeape's single-mindedness- her tunnel vision could be an asset, but with a flying-type encroaching on her perhaps she should have been more cautious. He lunged at her, springing up and digging his beak into the softest part of her body, and he didn't pull back until he felt something squish.

Primeape screamed, rearing back to clutch at her face. Dark blood was already welling up, splattering into the thirsty ground. Her sounds were unnervingly human, but the look she had on her face when she pulled her hands away was pure killing intent. When she lashed out at Aquila with blinding speed, so much more powerful than him, he didn't really stand a chance.

The full force of her strike took him by the head and threw him far, to the edge of the mesa. He rolled once, twice, and then laid still.

Aquila didn't get back up.
[+] spoiler
Aquila used Peck!
It's super effective!
It's a critical hit!
(He contracts Pokerus due to the blood!)
Primeape's Anger Point maxed her Attack!
Primeape used Scratch!
Aquila fainted...
[+] spoiler
Little typos and the clarification of Pokerus contraction in the battle summary!
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

June 17th, 2015, 5:26 am #9

Manny went cold, and then she went hot. She went so hot she was seeing more red than the half-blinded Primeape over there. White-hot rage burned through her with intensity, and there was just one thing on her mind.

'You don't touch what's mine.'

Thus, she did exactly what one would expect her to do. She ran at Primeape and tackled her to the ground, punching at her and tearing at her fur and trying to dig her thumb into that bleeding eye. "He's mine, he's mine and you can't touch him, you can't," Manny roared, desperate and viciously enraged, feeling fur between her fingers tearing.

In the seconds that this took place, Manny wasn't really thinking, not beyond that someone had hurt her property. Sheer anger drove her, and sheer anger kept her ripping at Primeape even after the first Karate Chop struck her.

The Seismic Toss, though, that threw Manny for a loop. She ended up a good distance away, more battered and bruised than an entire day of walking and jumping around on stupid rocks had made her. Nearby, Aquila was wheezing for breath, unconscious but alive. The Primeape advanced on her, ready to finish everyone on this rock off, and Manny struggled to get back on her feet.

She'd had worse. She could do this. Her ribcage was a mess and her left hand was covered in Pokemon blood, but Manny was pretty sure she could still fight. Primeape was unimaginably strong, stronger than Manny had even realized Pokemon could be, but backing down wasn't something she did.

Manny took a wobbly half-lurch forward, placing herself between the predator and the prey- Primeape and Aquila. If nothing else, she wouldn't let him get hurt again. Two girls, mostly blind, staring each other down, advancing on one another. They were two beings driven by instinct, similarly close-minded and just as angry as they come.

A rock hit Primeape in the back of the head and ruined the showdown, attracting her attention. She snapped around to where Dia was withdrawing her hand, looking truly nervous for the first time Manny'd ever seen it. "Alright, firecracker, let's not get too carried away here," she said, somehow managing to make her voice come out smooth even though her hands were shaking.

Primeape loped at her and she braced herself, throwing her arms up in an x in front of her face.

It proved unnecessary, because Hariyama dragged Dia out of the way before anything unfortunate could happen. Primeape turned on a dime, and so began a game of Skitty and Rattata. The Hariyama fled from Primeape, Dia in tow, and Primeape chased after, occasionally screaming in a vicious rage. They had dripped blood all over the top of the karst in under a minute.

"I can't believe this," Dia blinked as she was toted around, her face turning faintly green. "Gods, I didn't think this would be so dangerous." She was mostly talking to herself, low and quiet, trying and failing to shield her camera from slapping against Hariyama's large back. Gently, the giant Pokemon patted her, but then she had to twist hard to avoid a series of Fury Swipes, and both of them were suitably distracted.

Manny watched them run around like idiots momentarily, but the pain was blossoming into what would surely be nasty bruises and Aquila needed her. She knelt next to him with a wince, withdrawing his Pokeball from his pocket. If she remembered right, in the energy state they couldn't really feel anything, and Manny didn't really want him to be in pain.

For all that Manny thought pain would toughen him up they way it did her, he didn't deserve it. He was hers, and she would protect him because that was what she did with her things, her people. She drew him back into his ball.

Primeape came dangerous close as she chased Hariyama, and Manny bared her teeth. The Pokemon didn't notice, that tunnel vision coming into play yet again. One would think she would have learned, because Manny stood and waited for the next time Primeape passed her by.

She tackled the Pokemon, effectively stopping her from running after Dia and Hariyama. Primeape gave a mighty howl and threw her off, but the damage was done- she was panting, tired, and down one eye that Manny kept poking her finger into.

It only really took a Feint Attack from right out of left field to topple the Primeape.

Hariyama stood there, mildly saddened by the sorry state of the fellow Pokemon who'd kept chasing her. Then, satisfied by her unconsciousness, Hariyama set Dia down and patted her gently on her dark-haired head. "Thanks," Dia smiled, looking woozy and trying not to let it show. "You're pretty helpful. Now, where's my reckless Sunshine gone?"

She made a big show of looking around, but Manny was easy to spot in all her pink. She was laying there near the tree, half-hidden in some tall grass.

When she didn't respond, Dia's lip twisted in concern. "Sunny?" She edged closer. Manny's shoulders were shaking. "Manny, you okay?"

"Found your stupid fuggin' flower," Manny wheezed, pulling herself out of the grass to reveal an Angel's Star. It practically glowed in the moonlight, oozing pale yellow pollen in short puffs. Its many petals were short and white, mostly, with the odd overlong spike of purple. At the center of it all was a delicate, faintly spotted disc of citrine-colored florets. Even the stem and leaves were gorgeous, pale green and slender and spiked.

It was beautiful and Manny hated it. She hated it so much she was laughing, and her ribs hurt too much to even do that properly.

She dragged herself away from the stupid flower, bumping into Hariyama as she did so. The big Pokemon was looking down at her, concern written on its face. "What do you want?" she tried to sound menacing but mostly it just came out tired.

Hariyama pointed at Dia, who was taking enough photographs of that flower to make an album.

"What, what about her? You want to run around with her some more, get some of that fat on fat action?" Manny's lip curled, but dear Mew did everything hurt. Hariyama simply kept pointing. "I can't understand you, numbnuts, try something else."

There was a general exchange of confused looks, and then Hariyama lightly punched the air, pointed to Manny, and then pointed back to Dia. "What, you want me to fight her? I will, I'll do it right frigging now," she groaned as she struggled to get up and Hariyama shook her head, perhaps a little frantically.

Manny fell back to the ground. "Yeah, fine, whatever, I don't want to break her stupid pretty face anyway." As she shifted, Pokeballs fell wild from her jacket pockets, and Hariyama lit up. She reached down and delicately picked up one of the little balls. Then she pointed to Dia again.

"What? Really? She's not even a trainer, just a fat girl who likes flowers to a creepy level," Manny muttered, but Hariyama either didn't understand or didn't care. Too fatigued to really do much besides complain, Manny shrugged. Even that hurt. Everything hurt. "Fine, yes, whatever. Do what you want. Waste my Pokeballs."

Delighted, Hariyama walked over to Dia and waited patiently for her to finish photographing the Angel's Star. Then, when she turned around and was slightly surprised by the fighting type looming over her, Hariyama presented the Pokeball. "Wh--" she stuttered, actually stuttered, and Manny laugh-wheezed from her spot on the ground.

"Really? I'm not a trainer, you know. You'd just be a pet-- or an assistant, I guess. Whatever floats your boat," Dia just kept blinking, surprise blaring clear across her face. Hariyama presented the Pokeball again, and the human took it. "Well, okay. Uh, I hope you like flowers." And then she sealed the deal, opening the Pokeball and briefly containing Hariyama inside of it.

"Well," and now she smiled brilliantly, releasing Hariyama back to open air. "I guess I'll have to think of a name for you, then. Probably not right now. Sunshine needs a ride to a hospital."

"Hospital?" Manny heaved, pulling herself slowly to her feet. "No way, screw that."

"Honey," Dia said, lowering her eyebrows seriously. "You just took a serious beating from a Primeape. I'm taking you to the hospital, and while you're there I'll fix up your coat."

"No. I've had worse. Don't act like you're worried about me. Like we're even friends," Manny glared in Dia's direction, her eyes liquid heat.

Disbelievingly, Dia did what she always did when startled: blink. "Really? After all that, and we're not friends? Alright, I'll take your word for it, Sunshine. Let me take you to Melka, at least. They probably don't have much of a hospital, but they'll have a Pokemon Center."

Manny opened her mouth to give another scathing rejection, but then she thought of Aquila, unmoving. Even if he was in stasis, she didn't want to leave him hurt and unconscious any longer than she had to. She fought to protect her own, and if that meant swallowing her pride just this one time to get him to safety, she would do it.

"Fine, whatever."

"Good. Let's get back to the car, then. Hm-- wait, I've got it. Angel?" she peered at Hariyama, smiling gently. "Do you like that name?"

Hariyama, now Angel, gave a little smile back.

"I'll take that as a yes! Would you mind leading us out of here, Angel?"

She nodded, and Dia went over to Manny and offered her a shoulder. "Come on, let's get going."

Manny felt the ache in her chest on the weight of Aquila's Pokeball in her pocket. Sometimes she had to do things she didn't want to do, like accept charity. "Yeah," she croaked, feeling more and more tired by the second. "Let's."
[+] spoiler
Manny used A THUMB TO THE EYE SOCKET.
It's painful as heck!
Primeape used Karate Chop!
Manny is pained.
Primeape used Seismic Toss!
Manny is thrown away and is also PAINED!
Hariyama runs around, driving down Primeape's already low stamina.
Manny used tackle and ANOTHER THUMB TO THE EYE SOCKET!
Primeape is pained.
Primeape used Seismic Toss!
Manny is down for the count.
Hariyama used Feint Attack!
Primeape fainted!
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

June 24th, 2015, 4:14 am #10

Thank you for your patience. Your topic has been evaluated!
RP Notes wrote:
  • My life’s face is rough too
  • Cuddles and talons - best combo evah
  • Car rides from strangers. o_o
  • Flower hunting time- yes!
  • All these people love Manny. Like geez. I would have encased her in chocolate and eaten her already
  • Dianny. I gradually came to ship this, bahaha
  • How are they so good at rock jumping?
  • Go Aquila, babeh!
  • Hah. Argument, smargument. Let me insult you already, sweetie!
  • Get in there and rumble!
  • Bloody eyes… q.q
  • Can’t you show a little more concern, Dia? Ahaha. Or you could focus on your promotion.
Topic Record wrote:
  • Manny makes her way to Tribule Karsts
  • Manny and Dia search for the Angel’s Star!
  • Manny encounters a wild Hariyama
  • Hariyama leads them to the Angel’s Star
  • Manny and co. encounter a wild Primeape
  • Aquila, Manny, and Hariyama battle the Primeape!
  • Aquila acquires Pokerus and faints
  • Aquila and Manny are both injured (Aquila needs serious medical attention [and so does Manny I suppose])
  • Hariyama defeats the Primeape
  • Dia captures Hariyama and names her Angel (-1 Pokeball)
Topic Evaluation
Manny Mendoza

TAT: Making Friends: 1 AP
To Be The Best: 1 AP
Nursing: 1 AP
Topic: 0 EXP
Evaluation: 21 EXP
Total: 21 EXP
Dians:
Bonuses: Star Posts
Penalties: N/A
[+] spoiler
Lime. You did it again… You tugged at my heartstrings and made me Manny’s fan, just like everyone else that meets her it seems. Bahaha, maybe not the ones that actually attack Manny, but there is the perfect balance of annoyingness and adorableness about Manny that is just irresistible. I don’t know how you do it. Your choice of words, your flow, everything is amazing. I just want to read more. But hey, as I promised, I won’t linger on praising you, but instead, try and give you pointers on how to improve. I’ll try.

Oh what I would give to have your flow and continuous string of conscious writing ability. Every word you write just brings me in deeper and I cannot fathom how you do it. If Manny’s life were a novel, I’d read every last bit of it. The only elements that I want to ask more about, is possibly getting the reader deeper into Manny’s sun-baked, and bloody skin. There are moments in the story where, though I thoroughly enjoy the pacing and everything, think that you could just stop for a moment and dwell on Manny’s insecurities. Though you probably already have a plot in mind to look deeper into Manny, there was this judge for a dance performance that I saw, whose words I think fit in this situation. The dancer’s performance had great choreography, he executed it quite well, and everything flowed smoothly, but the judge had said he wanted time to stop and admire the excellent choreography. Now, your sense of reminded me of that dancer’s smooth choreography and excellent style, but it’s not that it felt rushed, no not at all. The suspense and pacing for each scene was perfect and brought me well into the next scene, but I did not have as great an opportunity to just enjoy Dia and Manny’s car ride together, or their traversing the Karsts. You could spend just a little more time dwelling on the scenery and maybe get deeper into Manny’s thinking. Your point of narration lends itself to eliciting a familiarity with the reader, and I adore that so much, but maybe distance it a little. Not all the time, mind you, but whenever you see fit.

The plot and story was definitely amazing this time around, and I know you have so much more to pull off and show me. That’s not my issue here. I love your style and your ability to leave me hanging, and I know it’s all influenced by Manny as a character, but I’m looking forward to seeing just a little more in-depth character development, where you slow down and shift the focus on another aspect of the story. The moment where I thought this could be further achieved, would have been after the whole incident with the Primepe. Dia could have showed more concern, and though the focus was not on her, it would have added an extra layer to the story if you highlighted Dia’s emotions in that specific scene. But I digress. Hope you enjoy your rewards and please please please, I want to have some more of Manny’s story! Ahaha, I can’t wait till Dia teaches Manny how to sow.

And lastly, I apologize for how long this took! Omg. I promise not to take this long ever again. Hope I can make it up to you somehow!

Wremnpom signing off~
[+] spoiler
+
(1x) Watering Can & (1x) Berry Pot!

Note: Bonuses/Penalties have already been calculated into your rewards!

[+] spoiler

[Alexiana | lvl 36]

[Mitzi | lvl 16]

[--------]
Jaxon Oswald Himmel
[/center]
Age wrote:30 Years Old
Total EXP Gained wrote:407 EXP
Favorite Color wrote:Indigo
Current Topic wrote:<Link>
Current Location wrote:Miner Memorial Caves
Current Status wrote:Disgruntled