Possible Collab Project For Consideration

Welcome to the Gateway ! ! !This is a general poetry forum, all poetry forms are welcome here...friendly interaction only!Welcome to our home beneath the
Stars! ! !Please see our revised guidelines posted at the top of the Gateway

*Note...You Must Comment on at LEAST two poems for each poem you post per forum, and no more than two poems per
forum posted in a 24 hour period....please read our guidelines for other details..**

Possible Collab Project For Consideration

October 3rd, 2017, 8:32 am #1

Hi, All.

John (Goldenmyst) and I were commenting back & forth a bit on Farcebook, and an idea was born.

The conversation had to do with places we played and were familiar with in our respective home towns. It made me think of when one of my childhood friends moved to Columbia, South America when I graduated 8th grade in 1976. No email, obviously. The two of us became pen pals, and stayed in touch via monthly air mail letters. (We're still friends to this day - my friend lives in Chicago now)

I came up with the concept of all of us collaborating on a children's book as a collection of pen pal letters from the era we were children in. Sort of capture our youth a bit.

So here's what I'm thinking:

Pair up. Pairs of writers stay paired for the duration of the project. That way it will seem as if the same two people are writing back-and-forth the way pen pals would have when we were kids.

Write out the letters on looseleaf binder paper (Most spiral notebooks tear off into the same thing) like what we'd have written on as kids.

Scan the letters and post them as images - like I did a few times with hand-written poetry in the past. Post a text copy of the letter below the image for readability.

Once we have a good stockpile built up, we could hunt for a literary agent to try to market the project - if we get anything for it, we split it up even-steven between all the participating writers. If not, it would still be a fun project.

We could work the project in the short stories board so as not to disturb the flow here in the Gateway.

What do you think?

Dan
Words are the mind's bridge - it's connection to all the universe.
Love is the heart's bridge - it's connection to all other souls.
Loving words can work miracles. \\//_

All of my currently available poetry Chapbooks are for sale at:

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/coloringbookforallages

My personal poetry blog and largest open & free online poetry archive is my *Spell Book*
(More *Spell Book* backstory here: *Spell Book* – My Oldest Blog Turns Into My Best Poetry Archive…)

By AquarianM
In hearts and minds the world-over, you find the same things; a need for love, for a sense of freedom, a sense of some stability in life. If we just reach up to giving those things to everyone, this world would be a pretty sweet place to be. Don't hold back your hugs, or your smile, or the twinkle in your eyes, because that's what makes us love you.

My Home Page: http://www.SuperAquarian.com

6 planets and the Sun in Aquarius...kinda like Hair...but that Aries Moon is a whole 'nother thang...

------------- Dan's Favorite Poems ------------
All The Stars That Shined...
Why Poets Poem And Painters Paint...SOTW

October 3rd, 2017, 9:25 pm #2

So we write to our *pen pal* as if we were a child again?
Every life is a riddle. The answer to mine is knowledge born of darkness. (The Order - 2003)

October 3rd, 2017, 9:58 pm #3

I would think it could be a present day remembrance shared in letters with our childhood friends. But I'm not sure what you had in mind Dan. Given the pen pal idea maybe it would be two children separated by distance reminiscing about the times they had together when they were neighbors. Maybe both.

John
A man who lives in West Texas hallucinates movies in those big skies. His doctor puts him on Haldol and asks him if it makes him feel better. He says, "The Haldol makes me feel warm and fuzzy but I like the movies better."

October 3rd, 2017, 10:45 pm #4

perhaps you could give us an example, Dan.........please
Every life is a riddle. The answer to mine is knowledge born of darkness. (The Order - 2003)

October 4th, 2017, 1:36 am #5

My last letter was done in crayon, don't ask. Smashing idea Dan.
"I love being a writer, but I hate the paper work."

October 4th, 2017, 5:01 am #6

Ok, I think writing as if we were kids again. What I & my friend did as kids was write letters about what was happening in our lives. Say one month I had gone to a county fair and saw the biggest pumpkin ever, and maybe got a new bicycle, or gave flowers to a girl I liked & she laughed or something. Maybe he went swimming at the local creek, or got to ride a horse or take riding lessons. Those kind of things.

I'll work on an example over the next couple of days, but if you had a friend move away as a child and you wrote each other to keep up, what would you have written?

One aspect of this is capturing some of our youth and the feel of how things were growing up back then.

The idea would be to compile these into a childrens' book, so you wouldn't go into discussions about politics and sex like adults would. You sure would talk about what you did at camp for a week though!

You see what I'm getting at? (Yes to Alexis's question)

Dan

My personal poetry blog and largest open & free online poetry archive is my *Spell Book*
(More *Spell Book* backstory here: *Spell Book* – My Oldest Blog Turns Into My Best Poetry Archive…)

By AquarianM
In hearts and minds the world-over, you find the same things; a need for love, for a sense of freedom, a sense of some stability in life. If we just reach up to giving those things to everyone, this world would be a pretty sweet place to be. Don't hold back your hugs, or your smile, or the twinkle in your eyes, because that's what makes us love you.

6 planets and the Sun in Aquarius...kinda like Hair...but that Aries Moon is a whole 'nother thang...

October 4th, 2017, 6:13 am #7

I think it's a great idea.   Lets hear more.  

My Poetry Site

October 4th, 2017, 9:00 am #8

Example Letter Number One:

Welcome to the Pen Pals Book Project!

The project concept was created by Dan Stafford. Contributing authors are from the Poetic Constellations poetry board.

This project is intended to come up with a book for younger readers that captures the feel and life facts of the paper era of our recent past. Days when, if a friend moved away, you only had the postal service to keep in touch. Phone calls were rare and expensive. Television was limited, and Summer seemed unlimited. No internet. No constant distraction.The street lights coming on was your signal to go home and get indoors, but until then, the outside was all yours...

The intention is to have writers of the era pair up, and write Pen Pal letters back-and-forth to each other as they would've back then. If your friend had moved away and you'd kept in touch. Be twelve or thirteen again, or even ten. Write to your friend about what would have been the big moments in your life at that age, or just the every-day things that were going on in your childhood.

Can you put your mind in that place? Can we bring the reader into another era? There's only one way to find out...

Example Letter One - 15 years old:

Text:

Dear John,               July 8th, 1977

It was an interesting Fourth of July.

Mom took all three of us camping at Devil's Lake near Madison, WI. We had brought a bunch of fireworks for the Fourth. My brother Jeff and I got into a roman candle fight! We were shooting the roman candle fireballs at each other from across the campfire, and laughing our heads off!

No one got burned, but it probably was a good thing that we were right next to a whole lake full of water!

We spent the whole day on the fifth swimming in the lake. Literally all day. We only got out for lunch.

Mom's friend Ginny and her kids Brian and Brooke were there too. There was a small cliff we were jumping off of, but it was only about one story tall.

That's not the funniest part, though!

Over >

Page 2

There was a whole camp full of nudists on the other end of the lake. One of the ladies was floating naked on an air mattress asleep out on the lake. Mom and Ginny wanted me to swim out there and tip her over!

Haha! I almost did it. I swam pretty close, but I just didn't have the heart to dump her in the water. I didn't see anything except her butt, though. She was sleeping face-down.

I slept pretty good after that.

The rest of the month has just been normal so far. I'm reading a great book. It's called "Skylark of Valeron" by E.E. "Doc" Smith. Totally epic science fiction, of course!

So what have you been doing? How is your family? Any new friends yet?

Your friend,

Dan

By AquarianM

October 4th, 2017, 9:08 am #9

I'm blogging the letters that I write at https://penpalsbook.blogspot.com/ as a way to generate interest in the project if we go forward. I can make anyone with a Gmail address a contributing author on the blog if you want to do that.

It is a little tricky getting the images to display correctly on Tapatalk, though. I'm posting my entries and page scans on the blog so that Blogger is hosting the pictures instead of Tapatalk. It is a bit tricky getting the images to display on this site, but I figured it out and can help anyone having difficulty.

I can also receive any letters and scan them if anyone doesn't have a way to do the scans.

Don't feel pressured - if anyone doesn't want to participate, no hard feelings whatsoever.

Dan

By AquarianM

October 5th, 2017, 12:04 am #10

Hmmm. Some of my childhood memories might need to be edited out of the book. Lol

Dan

By AquarianM