Holy Grail of Disney Pin Trading?

September 6th, 2018, 1:40 pm #1

I'm just hoping for a history lesson here. Recently read about the Honus Wagner T206 card's history and it got me thinking.

I know pinpics is set up so we can set our own individual grail pins based on what we consider valuable and our personal preference, which I think is really great. I was just curious if there were specific pins considered by the Disney Pin Trading community to be the holiest of grails no matter what kind of pins your collection favors. Baseball's most coveted cards are the Honus Wagner, Mickey Mantle and Babe Ruth, every collector knows about these cards and their value. Anytime one goes up for sale the entire community knows about it and it's well known who owns these coveted cards. Which pins are the Wagner, Mantle and Ruth of pin trading? What are the stories behind why they're coveted and whose collection are they a part of now?
Stitch, Mulan, Big Hero 6, Dragons, anything adorable beyond belief, unique, cool looking, amazing artwork, bold bright colors, and some Hades, Jafar, Evil Queen, Maleficent.
Pinpics ID: lordnarutard

September 6th, 2018, 6:55 pm #2

I don't know too much about them, but there are some Sleeping Beauty pins by an artist called Elizabeth Gomes.  They are LE 100 and are highly coveted.  They are always spoken of with reverence.  
https://i.imgur.com/fVYf4AF.png

dee

September 6th, 2018, 7:57 pm #3

@Naru That is a great question! Disney pin values rely a lot on preference. Many people (like myself) consider Marie pins with low LE's very valuable. But there are other collectors who aren't interested in Marie, and wouldn't pay a lot for her. So I was basically wondering the same thing you asked. If someone doesn't like Honus Wagner, Mickey Mantle or Babe Ruth, it doesn't seem to matter. Those cards are still worth a LOT of money. So I would also like to hear which pins are regarded as grails even if they don't appeal to some collectors. 
My username is dsdpins on PinPics

September 7th, 2018, 8:54 am #4

So I did a search of everything and then chose popularity which is # wanting vs # trading and this is what came up. popular.jpg
I collect Aristocats, Robin Hood, Fox & the Hound,
Cats, Eeyore, Dopey and pins I like. :)

collection     wants     trades

September 7th, 2018, 9:41 am #5

@mominator Oh wow, I hadn't even thought to do that. I'm surprised Tangled pins are so high in demand, given it's a relatively new movie. I guess with so many cool new low edition LE pins constantly being released the grails of pin trading are also constantly changing. Seems like Rapunzel and Ariel pins are the two most desirable of the princesses at the moment. Thanks for the info, I'll remember to search for most popular next time to keep up with what's trending. 

I wish more people would add their PODMs to the database. I know there are a ton out there that aren't in the pinpics database. I would think those are grails for a lot of people since they're pretty much one-of-a-kind. I know the Mulan PODM of the famous scene from "Be A Man" with everyone doing the kick in the air is one of my all time grails, it's listed on the auction site, but not in the pinpics database.
Stitch, Mulan, Big Hero 6, Dragons, anything adorable beyond belief, unique, cool looking, amazing artwork, bold bright colors, and some Hades, Jafar, Evil Queen, Maleficent.
Pinpics ID: lordnarutard

September 7th, 2018, 12:33 pm #6

As far as I know, each pin (even PODMs) should only have one listing.
I collect Aristocats, Robin Hood, Fox & the Hound,
Cats, Eeyore, Dopey and pins I like. :)

collection     wants     trades

dee

September 7th, 2018, 7:49 pm #7

Interesting. Thanks @mominator !
My username is dsdpins on PinPics