Linux Client?

RipJitter

5:55 PM - Aug 25, 2017 #1

Hello!

I've loved this mod since I first laid eyes on it one day browsing JK2files in like, 2004. I was amazed when I came by the phrgempire site and there was still development work going on. Immediate download!
Love the MovieBattle skin additions! Anywho, onto the main question...

I cannot seem to get this to work on my Linux box. I am using a locally compiled version of OpenJK and setting +fs_game to ForceMod_III. All good. It loads up completely skinned. But that's all it is, skinned.
The actual mod doesn't load. Is there something I missed. One of the previous topics was a Mac client, so I thought I would ask if there was one specifically for Linux (and request a release if there isn't already <3)

RipJitter

1:55 AM - Aug 26, 2017 #2

Update:

After much fighting with 32-bit libraries I managed to get a dedicated server running on Linux.
Now there is a new problem. When I try to join said server from my Windows box, I get removed before the loading screen with the message:
"Target server has not yet updated to Forcemod 1.01" It's actually running the same Forcemod as I did a direct copy. Any idea? If we can fix these issues
I can have a dedicated server up with this mod for a good chunk of the time. A little +Rep for you guys for the awesome mod.

VH >:[
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

5:30 AM - Aug 29, 2017 #3

RipJitter,

Thanks for dedicating your time to the Mod...boy this is a good one as I don't have any experience playing Fm3 on Linux.

These are the only 3 things I can think of to try:

- Check out the Link for Playing Jk3 on Linux (maybe there's something in there that will help) http://guideme.blogspot.com/2013/05/how ... linux.html

- Also verify you ran the standard Jk 1.01 Game Patch (you prob did this already)

- Try launching the FM3 Server from the "create a game" option from inside the Main Fm3 Menu

Again, not sure how these will apply for Linux but are all I can think of at the moment.

let us know if you get any further with it.

VH

Twice the pride, double the fall.

RipJitter

1:28 PM - Aug 29, 2017 #4

I am using the GOG version of the game so it comes DRM free and installs the 1.01 patch automatically.

EDIT: I would like to add that I can run baseJKA and Ja++ perfectly fine both server and client.

I believe I know what the issue is, please correct me if I am off.

For the Server:
I believe that the jampgamex86.so was not recompiled with the last version of ForceMod as the server is live, but game clients complains about a version mismatch.

For the Client:
I believe that cgamex86.so/uix86.so were not compiled and released at all as there are none in the ForceMod III folder or any of the .pk3s

So a Linux box can seemingly create a v1.0 (v1.1?) server. But has no client at all in order to test it's own server. You can connect to a Windows server, but the Linux client complains about a game version mismatch on ForceMod III.

At least this is what I gather from the cmakelists.txt when I compiled OpenJK. (.so the the Linux equivalent of a .dll library)
https://github.com/JACoders/OpenJK/blob ... eLists.txt

If you have no experience on Linux, what would it take to create these missing files?
Would you allow me to compile it for you? Could I perhaps set up a development environment for you with all the build tools necessary?
Whatever I can do to help. I am very determined to keep my favorite mod alive.

Advanced Member
Advanced Member

5:39 AM - Sep 07, 2017 #5

RipJitter,

I wasn't sure if you were aware but FM3's original creator, Azymn, is the actual keeper of the FM3 source code.

Azymn departed ways back in 2004 due to family obligations and had allowed us to continue soft code development of the series (menus, sabers, artwork, models, animations, etc). Although Azymn got as far as he did with the source code we still took it to the next level by creating beautiful mods beyond even I'm sure what he expected. FM3Av, FM3CE, and FM3RE series were all created.

I wish we had access to the source code (we would welcome your help since you sound like you have experience in that area). Not having access puts us at a disadvantage as we can't grow with the times (Linux, Newer OS's)

I appreciate your drive to trying to help in this area but our hands are tied with anything relating to source code changes unfortunately.

VH

RipJitter

5:59 PM - Sep 07, 2017 #6

Really?

I wasn't aware so much additional work could be done without the source. I mean if you guys have been doing 10+ years of work with no source I tip my hat to you. I had no idea and that's exactly the way it should be

I will crawl the internet and see if I can find any trace of contact information for Azymn with the full understanding that the code is probably long gone in some tragic Blue Screen incident.

If I find either him or a way to solve the problem I have presented I will release them to you as the maintainer of this modification. It looks like it is written in C/C++ so I doubt I would be able to help too much there (I know some Python, C++ would take a bit of learning). But I would be willing to help where I can if you like.

I will report back my findings as they come.

Thank you again for all of your hard work throughout the years!

Advanced Member
Advanced Member

1:10 AM - Sep 12, 2017 #7

RipJitter,

Thank you as well...

Keep us posted of anything further you come across....maybe you can get a response back from Azymn?? (that would be awesome!)

VH

RipJitter

5:57 AM - Oct 05, 2017 #8

Believe it or not, I come back with good news.

I have reached out to Azymn and he not only responded to my inquiry, he released the source code publicly on Github. If there is any other way I can assist with helping you guys along, please let me know.

Here is the full reply I received from Azymn:

Hey RipJitter,

Always nice to meet a longtime fan, and I'm so glad you've enjoyed the mod - I originally made it just for local LAN parties, so I added features I wanted to play with. =]
I do still happen to have the source. Since I can't meet your request personally (and I'd hate to be the holdup), let's just share it with everyone:

https://bitbucket.org/dandyer/forcemod3

Feel free to reach out to any JKA modders - they'll know what to do with the link above.

Cheers,

Azymn

snakeblskn
Advanced Member
snakeblskn
Advanced Member

10:41 AM - Oct 05, 2017 #9

Lol I was going to post about this too. Way back in 2014 I asked him for the source code too. Today I woke up and got a random email from him with the source code, I was totally shocked. I am no coder or anything but this is great. I hope venomous or blackwrym can do something with this or you rip jet. I can totally see Force Mod 4: the force awakens!!

So many fixes and things can be added now!

Snakeblskn

Blackwyrm^Heart >:[
Advanced Member
Blackwyrm^Heart >:[
Advanced Member

4:22 AM - Oct 07, 2017 #10

Azymn sent you the source code?
The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am...