[OPEN - RIDERS] Dragon Quidditch!

IC games, threads, and other exciting things go here!

[OPEN - RIDERS] Dragon Quidditch!

tuathade
IN SPACE

15 Jul 2011, 23:11 #1

Dragon Quidditch

Why does a sport invented by J. K. Rowling still exist thousands of years in the future? You're thinking about this too hard. Just keep repeating the MST3K mantra in your head - it's just an RP, I should really just relax.

This sport was invented by the offworlders, and slightly modified to work with dragons. It is played with one large, basketball-sized red ball known as the Quaffle. The Chasers on each team handle the quaffle and attempt to score goals by throwing it through the opposing team's goal hoops. A goal is worth 10 points. At each end of the field are three hoops, guarded by a Keeper. The Keeper's job is to... well, keep the Quaffle out.

In addition, each team has Beaters. There are no Bludgers in dragon quidditch (and hitting your fellow players is strongly discouraged!) so the main goal of the Beaters is to run interference and fly distractingly around the other team's Chasers. Finally, there will be a gold flit released onto the field. This is the Snitch. Each team has a Seeker, whose job it is to find the Snitch. If the Seeker can successfully tag the Snitch (TAG, not GRAB, no flit squashing) the game ends and the Seeker's team gets 150 points.
[x] (969696) Weyrleader Sh'ard of silver Normandith
[x] (595A80) Jr. Queenrider C'ross of pearl Iassenth
[x] (0A116E) Sr. Weyrling L'ir of blue Dolosventh
[x] (00AAFF) Rover/AI "Sam"
[x] (AAB574) Journeyman Seacrafter Rodana of green Rodansk
[x] (C4A55A) Wherhandler Matthew Grayson of brown Graysk
[x] (4D0000) Prototype Hybrid Alex
[x] (oooooo) Candidate/Glasscrafter Miskael
[x] (oooooo) Apprentice Dragonhealer Thomas Sinclair %mh%-195%mh%

tuathade
IN SPACE

15 Jul 2011, 23:11 #2

Rules
    Dragon quidditch will (hopefully) be slightly less chaotic than wher polo. Or at least less likely to result in severe mauling.
IC Rules:
  • Excessive roughhousing will result in penalty shots.
  • No golds or silvers allowed. Sorry Nostromoth, Normandith, Ledath, you're gonna have to sit this one out.
  • After each shot, the referee will put the Quaffle back into play. Ditto if the Quaffle is dropped and hits the ground.
  • No limit on the number of Chasers or Beaters, but it is recommended to have at least one of each.
  • Winning team gets a celebratory round of drinks at the Crackdust bar with the Weyrleaders. Any drink you want. Within Megs' capability to make, of course. (GARGLE BLASTERS FOR EVERYONE.)
OOC Rules:
  • No godmodding or powerplaying - you can't just suddenly score ALL THE GOALS FOREVER.
  • Chasers, please make a post indicating that your character is moving toward a scoring area before they make a shot at a goal. Beaters, please indicate who you are targeting. Seekers, pick an area of the playing field to search. Keepers... defend your goalposts.
  • It's up to the offensive team to make a shot - and up to the defensive team to decide if the ball went in or not. Please play fair.
  • If by the end of the month nobody has captured the Snitch, Gift and I will push it into Sudden Death - which will be admin monitored. This will probably involve the Snitch making a sudden appearance and both teams somehow competing to reach her first.
  • There will be rewards of an undisclosed nature for creativity and bold gameplay.
    Bear in mind - C'ross will be playing referee. The Golden Snitch is his flit. If you harm Harper, attempt to cheat, or get too rough with your fellow players, you will have an exceedingly angry queenrider who can make your life hell.
Teams
    There will be a Gryffindor Team and a Ravenclaw Team. Positions are first come first served - don't worry about sign-ups, just jump right in with an IC post and say what team and position you want. Positions not yet claimed are assumed to be taken by NPC until someone shows up to claim them - try not to specify actions for them, but you can assume that both teams have a complete roster.
Gryffindor Team:
  • Chasers: P'tre and Nejerith, one tanzanite
  • Beaters: Verata and Aidyth
  • Seeker: Rydia and Yisith
  • Keeper: Gwynnell and Xafileth
Ravenclaw Team:
  • Chasers: Ophelia and Ioth, one blue
  • Beaters: R'ley and Iassenth (?!)
  • Seeker: C'ren and Ceylith
  • Keeper: B'lorn and Ezpryth

Ferret
IN SPACE

15 Jul 2011, 23:25 #4

...So, remind me again how you talked me into this? It was difficult enough to convince C'ren to get into physical activity without adding in the word 'sport'. The man was just not comfortable with sports. They were too busy and too chaotic. The man's entire knowledge of sports came down to, 'uhh... you get two teams of sporters together and then they sport at each other and whoever sports the most becomes the king of sports?'

As an added benefit it appeared that the offworlders were making up rules as they went along. That made the persnickety Greenrider even more persnickety. But, Ceylith had asked.

I gave you my cute face! It's very cute, Ceylith confided. Besides, I'm perfect for a Seeker! Small and fast! And indeed the small Green was very speedy. C'ren's only worry was that she might tire too quickly, since her slender build didn't exactly come with stamina.

And what the shards is a 'Ravenclaw' anyway? C'ren grumped, too stubborn to be cheered up by a delighted and happy Green.

I'unno. Is it important? Ceylith asked back, sharp eyes scanning the Ravenclaw goalposts in the hopes of spotting the little golden Harper.

Well... I'd just like to know...

It's a sport, C'renmine. It doesn't have to make sense!
C'ren and Green Ceylith (seagreen) (Firelizard Copper Kay)
Journeyman Healer Cordel (Firelizards Gold Tribble and White You)
Weyrling Elaeran and Black Polluth (Bolded) (Firelizard Green Wingleader Sniggles)
Vartan and Green Vartask (009966)
Hybridhandler Taavetti and Gustav
Offworlder David Kieran "The Doctor" (Firelizard Blue Alonso)
JM Jewelrycrafter Rystia and Green Rystisk (Forestgreen)
C'ym and Bronze Hanumanth (#CEC836)
Plotting Thread %mh%-765%mh%

S'yal
Master

15 Jul 2011, 23:28 #5

By jones, Irena has some form of sound amplifying device! Even worse, she's set up a booth and is now the announcer!

Said weyrling had a certain blinding blue sitting next to her, wearing what appeared to be a red scarf tied around one of his headknobs. Lookin' fabulous, Orioth.

"Well, Dragon quidditch is starting! I think. The always manlicious weyrw- weyrman C'ross is the referee today folks, and I assure you he is going to try his best to make things bori- safe! So behave, or he'll probably crush your head between his manly muscles!" Irena why are you allowed out in public. "Isn't that right, Orioth?"

Sure is, Irena! Hey, do you think Ledath is watching me announce? Cause I'm wearing a special scarf to-

"Thanks for the input, Orioth! Right now it looks like everyone is still sorting in teams, so if you hurry up you can get a good seat and check out the pretty riders. Or C'ross, I guess."

You know, it's not fair that I can't fly. I would be the best seeker in all the world.

"I think you should be keeper. That way, you blind all the chasers and they can't score any goals!"

Irena we agreed not to discuss my color in public.

Sorry

Somewhere, Z'ncil is twitching.
Bronzerider Z'ncil and Rioneth
Blueweyrling Irena and Orioth
Goldhandler Z and Zalmask
Weyrbrat Joanna
A.I Zwecklos

%mh%-175%mh%

Azumi
Master

15 Jul 2011, 23:28 #6

Quidditch.

QUIDDITCH.

QUIDDITCH!

Ophelia's excitement was, essentially, not containable and she literally bounced up and down in anticipation upon Ioth's back. Ioth herself couldn't, for the life of her, understand what in Faranth's name was a 'Harry Potter' and a 'Kidditch,' but she understood the job as a Chaser and from Ophelia's excitement alone was ready rock and roll....or so Her's would say.

Mine, what team are we on again? the green asked quickly. She refused to take her eyes off of C'ross, though, and was already poising herself for a straight up launch once the game started.

Ravenclaw. We're the bronze and blue, they're the red and yellow, Ophelia informed, a smile still plastered on her face and in her mind's voice. HAPPY was an understatement -- this was going to be way more fun than flying brooms could ever be.
Weryling Amaranta of Green Cassith. <#669966>
Offworlder Military communications Lt. Ophelia Prescot of Green Ioth. <#74df00>.
Hybridmaster/ Offworlder Botanist Grace Augustine
Peregrine Mechanic Kaylee Frye and Hybrid Eugene
Goldrider Annelie and Gold Yansanth <#e8bc0b>
Candidate Anya%mh%-204%mh%

tuathade
IN SPACE

15 Jul 2011, 23:46 #7

This is so exciting! Iassenth trilled. She was going to be a Beater, which sounded fantastic, and she had no idea what a Ravenclaw was but the colors were blue and bronze, which seemed pretty enough! And she'd even found someone to play with her after her rider had been volunteered to be referee against his will. This was going to be an excellent game, the little queen decided.

C'ross, meanwhile, was going to find a way to destroy Irena. Somehow. Someday. It would happen.

And then he saw his dragon fly in and land on the Quidditch pitch with someone who was definitely not him aboard and this was just ridiculous! "Isn't this cheating?" he asked Iassenth aloud. "You being the referee's dragon and all?"

Don't be silly, the black pearl scoffed. I'm not Seeker, so it doesn't matter if I know where Harper is - and if I tell anyone, or try to cheat, then you'll know! The bond goes both ways, after all.

C'ross wasn't convinced, but trying to argue the pearl off the field wasn't going to get him anywhere. Maybe he could steal Nostromoth while R'ley was occupied...

"Riders, take your positions!" the queenrider boomed. "On my count - three!"

"Two!"

"One!"

"GO!"

He hurled the Quaffle into the air as high as he could. At the apex of the ball's flight, it was caught by a gold flit darting out from nowhere. Quick as a wink, she popped back between, carrying the ball several dragonlengths up and then dropping it before vanishing once again. The Quaffle was in play, and the game was afoot!

Filch
Apprentice

15 Jul 2011, 23:59 #8

(B'lorn and Ezpryth as Ravenclaw keepers, please :D)

Ezpryth was not the most agile creature; she was, however, large. B'lorn was adamant that this was to be used in this game, and, well, being keeper was the best way to do that. The pair were stationed near the goalposts, the large Garnet hovering and looking menacing as possible. Not...that it worked in particular.

Why didn't it work? Because B'lorn looked so happy and seemed just utterly distracted. "Oh! Irena! Hi, Irena! How are you? Oh, and Orioth too! Having fun at the festival?" Mine. The game? "Oh yes, of course. The game." Well, nothing was happening. Hm. He wondered when it would!

(Ahaha fail post)

Azumi
Master

16 Jul 2011, 00:10 #9

"And here...

we...

go!" Ophelia said quietly to herself, matching C'ross's countdown. At the double 'GO,' the woman was suddenly pancaked against Ioth's neck as the green launched herself straight into the air with powerful legs.

However, Ioth was a heavy dragon, with large wings, so as she snapped them open she had to beat hard and as fast as she could to gain altitude and speed and not look like a bumbling weyrling idiot. In the end she managed well enough, as this wasn't her first rodeo --

Mine, where'd the ball go?! Ioth suddenly hissed. That stupid little flit! When she found that thi--

We're chasers, Io! Ophelia reminded, and then suddenly the little Harper was spotted. Or well, the quaffle was spotted. FORWARD, STRAIGHT TOWARDS THE RIGHT OF THE GRYFFINDOR'S GOAL POSTS! It was a scream in the dragon's mind, but that didn't matter and Ioth was off like a shot towards the quaffle, Ophelia already having one arm and hand out to grab it.

Dive and swoop to the left of it!
Weryling Amaranta of Green Cassith. <#669966>
Offworlder Military communications Lt. Ophelia Prescot of Green Ioth. <#74df00>.
Hybridmaster/ Offworlder Botanist Grace Augustine
Peregrine Mechanic Kaylee Frye and Hybrid Eugene
Goldrider Annelie and Gold Yansanth <#e8bc0b>
Candidate Anya%mh%-204%mh%

Ferret
IN SPACE

16 Jul 2011, 01:52 #10

Fwomp!

As soon as C'ross gave the word, Ceylith took off at top speed. Unfortunately, even that wasn't enough; the little gold firelizard flickered out between long before the Green had a chance to get to her. The Green bugled in delight; the game would have been over far too quickly if she got to Harper so soon!

Easy, Ceyl. Keep your stamina, C'ren warned her warmly. How long did these games usually last anyway? He'd tried to ask offworlders before, but they just kept giggling over 'dragon quidditch'. How utterly bizarre. Come on, let's go up. Maybe we'll have a better view from up there, he suggested, gently urging Ceylith to fly up.

Ceylith snorted, but listened to her rider. I won't get tired that easily, she grumbled, but slowed down anyway. Isn't this exciting, mine? We really should do this more often!

What, chase after balls for no particular reason? Decide to prove to everyone else that we can do something of absolutely no value to the world better than anyone else? Woo hoo, go us, C'ren said in his typically acidic way.

Such a grump! But look at how happy people are! Ohh, look at Ioth! Go Ioth!
C'ren and Green Ceylith (seagreen) (Firelizard Copper Kay)
Journeyman Healer Cordel (Firelizards Gold Tribble and White You)
Weyrling Elaeran and Black Polluth (Bolded) (Firelizard Green Wingleader Sniggles)
Vartan and Green Vartask (009966)
Hybridhandler Taavetti and Gustav
Offworlder David Kieran "The Doctor" (Firelizard Blue Alonso)
JM Jewelrycrafter Rystia and Green Rystisk (Forestgreen)
C'ym and Bronze Hanumanth (#CEC836)
Plotting Thread %mh%-765%mh%