Hopefully. Curiosity Doesn't Kill Candidates

Though the offworlders frequently refer to it as 'the derelict,' the Peregrine is far from unusable. The currently-grounded ship is still in fair working order; running off electricity supplied by hydroelectric pumps in the Weyr - the sliding doors still work, the computers are all still operational, and all the state-of-the-art equipment still functions. The ship is brightly-lit, with a stark, white-plastic interior.

Inside: Laboratory, Living Quarters

Hopefully. Curiosity Doesn't Kill Candidates

Darastrix
Master

07 Jan 2012, 08:44 #1

It was with a great feeling of trepidation that Zira set foot in the Peregrine. Especially after THAT DOOR JUST SLID OPEN BY ITSELF WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN. Ahem. At least he'd only jumped a foot and not made any embarrassing yelp-y noises. Zak had been here before and not been worse for wear, and so had Missa, so clearly, the ship was not some dangerous scary thing. And if he was planning to stay at the weyr (which he was. After the Touching, even if he didn't Impress this time, how could he not?), he needed to get over this whole being jumpy over offworlder stuff.

Still, maybe he should have asked one of his friends to come with him. If nothing else, he'd be distracted by trying to make sure they didn't run off into some sort of trouble in this strange place. He bit his lip and peered uncertainly into a room that looked to be some sort of communal area. If it was a common room, it should be all right to go inside, right? Right.

He was sure he'd be able to get his feet to move from the hallway aaaany minute now. Maybe.

Tawny
Journeyman
Tawny
Journeyman

07 Jan 2012, 15:56 #2

Dima jogged to a halt by the entrance to the ship and paused for a few moments to catch his breath and have a drink of water from the bottle he carried. Although currently out of breath he was feeling good; a satisfying run had been had, a nice shower would soon be had, and after that maybe a nice cup of tea before work. There really was nowhere quite like Pern to be out and about; the air so clear and clean, the surroundings so natural and beautiful. Well, natural bar the artificially carved Weyr and the ship that gave it its name that was, but they were lovely in themselves if a touch incongruent.

Turning off his music player and pulling out the earphones he stepped inside, and almost stepped on the youth who hovered inside. "Well hello there! You alright?" he grinned after he got over the surprise of suddenly!person. "Can I maybe help you to find something?" he added, because the pale-haired young man did look a little bit lost.
x Wingleader C'tis of blue Malcarreth <#01154B> (firelizards blue Fang and green Pest)
x Offworlder Dr. Dimitry Konstantinovich Vladamirin (firelizard gold Honey)
x Offworlder Konstantin Vladamirin and bronze Konstantinsk <darkgoldenrod>%mh%-50%mh%

Darastrix
Master

08 Jan 2012, 02:08 #3

That time, Zira did yelp. Suddenly!person, indeed. A very large, taller than his father person. He hoped he wasn't about to be in trouble. "I-I'm fine," he murmured, his face heating with embarrassment at being so obviously startled and getting caught. Not that he was really doing anything to be caught at, but still. At least the man didn't seem to be mad at finding him here; that was a plus.

"I just wanted to see inside," he explained. "I've only been here a few months, and all of...this..." he gestured vaguely to the ship around him. "It's kind of a lot to get used to."

Tawny
Journeyman
Tawny
Journeyman

08 Jan 2012, 02:52 #4

Kid seemed embarrassed, but why should he feel like that? Was he up to something, or did he just feel that merely being a bit curious wasn't enough reason to explore the ship? Well well, either way he doubted and real harm was meant and was happy to reach on the hand of friendship.

Dima's very very large hand extended towards the young man, along with another grin.

"Sorry I startled you! My name is Dimitry Konstantinovich Vladamirin, call me Dima, and I imagine it must be a lot to be getting used to! I can give you a bit of a tour of the non-restricted areas if you would like, I was shown plenty of kindness and a lot of things by your people when we first arrived, doesn't it make sense that I return the favour to you and show you around our ship? Quid pro quo, right?"

It wasn't what it had been in flight, sure, his own area of operation for example had been moved out of the ship in favour of the research labs but much remained intact, and certainly enough to interest a lad of Pern. How old was he? Mid teens, Dima guessed by his face, but he was tall for that so either he was just tall (oh he knew all about that), or he was older but just soft-faced. In any case, he couldn't be twenty yet, and as such Dima felt instinctively protective. It would be nice to show him the sights and make sure nothing bad happened to him; showers could wait.
x Wingleader C'tis of blue Malcarreth <#01154B> (firelizards blue Fang and green Pest)
x Offworlder Konstantin Vladamirin and bronze Konstantinsk <darkgoldenrod>%mh%-50%mh%

Darastrix
Master

09 Jan 2012, 00:04 #5

Quid pro what? Zira wondered as he automatically reached out to shake Dima’s hand. If Dima hadn’t been so warm and friendly, he might have been seriously intimidated. It wasn’t often that he met anyone who was so, well, huge; even his hands, long-fingered as they were, seemed small in comparison. Now that he thought about it, hadn’t Dima been at the Touching, too? There had been so many people there, both Candidates and curious hopefuls, but really, how many men Dima’s size were there at Peregrine?

“Ah, I’m Zira,” he introduced himself. “It’s nice to meet you.” He was glad Dima didn’t mind short names; he wasn’t sure he’d be able to get the whole thing right without hearing it a few more times. “I’d appreciate a tour, if it’s not a bother. I was kind of regretting not asking one of my friends who’d been here before to come with me.”

Tawny
Journeyman
Tawny
Journeyman

09 Jan 2012, 12:04 #6

"Zira," Dima nodded, "Pleased to meet you too, and no problem; I have some time to kill!" He had a fair while before his shift yet and making a new friend sounded like a better use for his time than lazing around in his quarters doing not a lot, so long as he had time to shower - which he was sure he would - he was happy.

"Humm, so where shall we start?" Dima wondered aloud before deciding; "Maybe the rec rooms? They're probably one of the more interesting things to see, kept all of us entertained and mostly out of trouble on the long trip over! Is this way." With a gesture down the hall Dima set off at an amble, glancing over to make sure that Zira was following.

Darastrix
Master

10 Jan 2012, 00:05 #7

"Rec rooms?" Zira repeated as he walked after Dima, glancing from side to side as though he expected something to jump from the walls at any second. As far as he was concerned, it was a real possibility. If the doors could slide open on their own, who knew what the walls in this place did? ...best to not think about the floor.

Remembering his run-in with Alex, he decided it would be best to explain himself now before he reacted poorly to something and managed to upset or offend Dima. "And, um, I apologize in advance if I'm a little...jumpy. All this technology and such kind of makes me kind of nervous."

Tawny
Journeyman
Tawny
Journeyman

10 Jan 2012, 11:13 #8

What must it have been like for the people of this world to be descended upon by a civilization so far in advance of their own? Laser guns to people who still used bows and arrows, little tiny boxes that stored thousands on thousands of songs (many of them played on instruments powered by electricity), machines that could see inside your skull and so much more. "In your place I think I might be a bit nervous too," Dima said after a short pause. "Curious too though, as you are," he added with a grin.

"Rec rooms are recreation rooms," he explained as they reached the end of a hall and a pair of doors whispered open, giving access to a lift. "Ever been in a lift before?" Dima asked as he stepped inside. "Perfectly safe, but you feel it when it starts to move as a warning. Anyway, the rec rooms have all sorts of things in: pool tables, foosball, TV rooms, VR suites, the works."

Darastrix
Master

10 Jan 2012, 20:50 #9

"I've heard of some of those," Zira said as he eyed the lift with some trepidation. Been in one? Noooot exactly. So much for not thinking about the floor. "One of my friends likes to come here, mostly to listen to music. I think he's mentioned TV and VR before." He stepped gingerly onto the lift. Given the name, he thought it probably went up somehow. Really, though, what was wrong with stairs?

"Mine is sort of a...curiosity of necessity," he said, latching onto conversation as a distraction from the strangeness of the ship. Talking was so much easier when he had something else to be shy of. "Even if I don't Impress this time, I don't want to leave. And if I stay, all this will still be here, too, so I need to learn about it instead of being leery of everything all the time."

Dragonfire
Master

11 Jan 2012, 07:04 #10

"Hold the lift!" There was always someone who skittered along just as an elevator's doors were about to close, wasn't there? Except Lilith did not skitter. Ever. The request was delivered with a tone that suggested it was more of a command. "Hel's cold, withered tits, I will not be kept waiting for another-"

She swept through the doors of the lift, bootheels clicking sharply under her, and sharply turned to face the closing door in a flurry of whirling long coat, hair, and hat. Apparently the day called for a large hat - an elongated black oval, fringed in lace, perched at a dangerous angle and completely shading her right eye from view. For what it was worth, her left eye and the rest of her face looked rather stormy - probably the right eye was suffering from the same expression.

Said hat also necessitated that any interaction that she had with her fellow passengers was done with copious amounts of side-eyeing. But! Lilith was a master of the side-eye. Hence, after she pressed the button for the residential deck, she tilted her chin up, and archly appraised the other passengers with one of those sidelong looks. "A good day, doctor Dimitry," she pronounced after a moment, although her eyes were truly on the boy. Judging. A native, from the look of it, hmph. Perhaps one of the doctor's patients? Her fingers hovered over the keypad a moment longer; she could afford to extend a small courtesy for they having not taken the lift without her. "Are you to the sickbay?"
Weyrlingmaster Rydia of Green Yisith (74b550)
Wingrider D'lin of Garnet Soleth (7E010C)
Chem 'Geer/Weyrling Rhaetia of Brown Ixioth (6d210a)
Merc Security Officer Erin Samus of Hybrid Yautme (216570)
Master Smithcrafter/Wherling Torinar of Iron Torinarsk (bold)
Journeyman Harper Cerian
Communications/Cryptanalyst Lt Lilith Jackson%mh%24%mh%