(Summary: Founder and former leader of a successful Maplestory guild (the first 100-man guild in Bera) reveals his thoughts on the game.)
I should really be studying now (very behind with exams and badly need to cram), but I really needed to get this off my chest.
A game is meant to be fun. Maplestory is not meant to be a game. Instead, Maplestory is a chaotic MMO (Massively-Multiplayer Online) chatroom that has an addicting (not fun) grindfest.
Private servers have turned this grindfest from a expensive 5-year grind into a free 1-day lvling-spree to hit level 200. Players who play Maple for gaming can easily get their fulfillment in one day, and move on to real games.
However, people who play Maple for socializing will keep playing Maple. The effect of private servers on Maple will be that the gamers will quit and the socializers will stay.
But why is Maplestory's grindfest not fun? (note that I have played many games, good and bad, MMO and not)
- Note 1: This list is to show that Maplestory's gaming aspect is not fun (but it may be addicting)
- Note 2: This list does not say anything about Maplestory's socializing aspect (which is often both fun and addicting :) )
- Note 3: This is not meant to be an exhaustive (or even extensive) list. If I were to make an exhaustive list, it would almost never be finished.
- Here goes the first one: I should never have to log in twice to Maplestory just to log in.
- Map-traveling is a must in a game like this. Just double-click to go to the town you want instead of having to buy NX. Don't charge for something as basic as this.
- Guild events (or events in general) are too hard to organize. People need to be a certain place at a certain time to enter. You can only pap twice in 24 hours, zak twice in 24 hours, do 1 apq every 6 hours? Dumbest ideas ever. Only 1 PQ per channel? Make those things instanced (if you don't know what this term means but you view yourself as a gamer, play a real game and you'll find out). Four hours of "missing" Ludi PQ from clicking is retarded. Even if I get in as party leader, I feel like a clown clicking like mad to get my party in.
- If leveling up is already not fun, at least make some fun things for high levels to do. No, nothing fun for a level 200 to do either, but quit. Going everywhere in a Red Draco making people F5 gets old after 5 minutes. Why bother?
- Speaking of levels, what is up with the level limits for PQ's? Dumbest idea ever. So I've been 13x for 9 months now and since then they've released a handful of PQ's... all for a low level range. What's the point?
- Don't even get me started on boss fights. I feel like a tool spamming 3 buttons (pot, party buff, and attack skill) for 30 minutes straight soloing Crow, much less the 2 hours needed on something like Horntail. Boss fights in Maple are not fun.
- When suggesting maplers to play better games, frequently a response you get is "I don't wanna start all over again." This tells you how NOT fun it was for them reach their level in Maple. Of course, frequently these are the same players who in their lifetime have only played one game: Maple.
- No skill involved whatsoever in this game. Please, button mashing does not involve skill. The only part that may involve skill is planning where and how to train to level up the fastest, but even that's hardly planning.
- To make matters even worse, how is using the same skill to level up from 70-200 fun? And no, classes other than DK's do not have it much better.
- CC'ing or changing a weapon or dropping an item is frustrating. You have to find a "safe spot" for a few seconds before you can do any of those things. But this was added into Maplestory to make it harder for hackers to hack. Tip to clueless Maplestory programmers: Deal with hackers the right way, NOT by making the game more frustrating for legit players!
- The horrendous Nexon. If Nexon doesn't do anything about hackers, ksers, or scammers, then Nexon shouldn't pretend it cares by forbidding those types of things. Worst thing is, Nexon cares equally little about its paying customers.
Verdict 2: Mapling =/= Gaming. Mapling = Socializing or Grinding. A better name for Maplestory would be "ChatOrGrind."
Verdict 3: Players who play other games will also be happier when they are on Maple.
I know my tone may sound frustrated at times (which is why I called the Maplestory chatroom "chaotic") but that's only because I'm passionate about Peerless and, as a result, disappointed at Nexon/Wizet for ruining the potential of what could have been an awesome game that is fun to socialize in and fun to play in. As long as Nexon/Wizet stay incompetent and indifferent, Peerless will never achieve its true potential of providing a fully rewarding and fulfilling gaming experience. This means that much of my efforts on Peerless are wasted.
The bright side is, you guys (Peerless members and friends) all make up for it :) Which is why even though I have nice guilds in over half a dozen games, I spend most of my time on Peerless <3
Finally, I don't spend my time writing in order to offend anyone (at least I don't intend to). My goal in writing is to give players (whom I care about) more information with which they can decide for themselves that Maplestory's grindfest is not fun, but merely an addiction. Once again, this is not saying anything about the socializing aspect of Maplestory. Whether the socializing aspect or community in Maplestory is genuinely fun or horribly immature is the subject of another article which probably won't be written by me.
Thoughts? Also, before you respond, please also state which MMO/regular games you have enjoyed or played.
13x Dark Knight and Founder of Peerless Guild - GMS Bera
Formerly played and enjoyed: Guild Wars (lvl 20 De/Mo), Lunia (lvl 55 Sieg), Atlantica Online (5x Axe Main), Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Unreal Tournament 2004, Quake III Arena, Starcraft, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Street Fighter III, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy 1 through 9 (except 2 and 3), Super Mario 64, Zelda series, tons of Super Nintento classics, and countless other games I won't list here :3