Would like to know reason why everyone selling seems to want payment sent as a Gift ?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Would like to know reason why everyone selling seems to want payment sent as a Gift ?

FrankV1
Paneristi
FrankV1
Paneristi

June 13th, 2012, 6:04 pm #1

Since actually, you then have no recourse if item does not arrive etc?

Night View DUOMO Firenze

Last edited by FrankV1 on June 13th, 2012, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike2zero
Paneristi

June 13th, 2012, 6:06 pm #2

seems misguided...I always include fees in my sales...but then again, I only sell straps and stuff..

~Mike

mike2zero
Portland, Oregon

FrankV1
Paneristi
FrankV1
Paneristi

June 13th, 2012, 6:08 pm #3

Night View DUOMO Firenze

Gregesq
Paneristi
Gregesq
Paneristi

June 13th, 2012, 6:08 pm #4

Night View DUOMO Firenze
I thought PP takes a % fee / discount for sales and no discount for gifts?

Gregesq
Paneristi
Gregesq
Paneristi

June 13th, 2012, 6:08 pm #5

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

June 13th, 2012, 6:10 pm #6

Night View DUOMO Firenze
When the seller receives money for a normal transaction via Paypal there's a fee taken out of the payment, usually around 2.8% or so. On a multi-thousand dollar item that's some real cash. But when a payment is sent as a "Gift" the fee is waived (or paid by the sender? not sure) so the seller gets 100% of the money.

It's a violation of paypal policy to receive payments as gifts when they aren't gifts, and if paypal finds out you're doing it they will (supposedly) suspend your account, but who knows how often they actually check this kind of stuff.

It's similar to when people state: "Paypal only if buyer pays the fee" or "add 3% for paypal". This is also a violation of paypal terms of service that can result in account suspension. The person receiving the money is responsible for the fees, not the buyer.

But as with everything... the rules and reality can be very different

If plexi is wrong, I don't want to be right.

FrankV1
Paneristi
FrankV1
Paneristi

June 13th, 2012, 6:16 pm #7

Night View DUOMO Firenze

snoballz
Paneristi
snoballz
Paneristi

June 13th, 2012, 6:20 pm #8

When the seller receives money for a normal transaction via Paypal there's a fee taken out of the payment, usually around 2.8% or so. On a multi-thousand dollar item that's some real cash. But when a payment is sent as a "Gift" the fee is waived (or paid by the sender? not sure) so the seller gets 100% of the money.

It's a violation of paypal policy to receive payments as gifts when they aren't gifts, and if paypal finds out you're doing it they will (supposedly) suspend your account, but who knows how often they actually check this kind of stuff.

It's similar to when people state: "Paypal only if buyer pays the fee" or "add 3% for paypal". This is also a violation of paypal terms of service that can result in account suspension. The person receiving the money is responsible for the fees, not the buyer.

But as with everything... the rules and reality can be very different

for accepting payment for P-Day NYC as gifts. Given the volume I received, PayPal believed I was a vendor of some sort and I now can no longer accepts payments as "gifts".

I believe they also use some sort of filer in the notes/subject line that can raise red flags alerting them that the funds aren't intended as true gifts.

-luke

FrankV1
Paneristi
FrankV1
Paneristi

June 13th, 2012, 6:27 pm #9

am too old school here. Another peeve is those selling a watch worth thousands of dollars, place photo of watch for sale, but add: Strap on the watch not included ?
why then not take photo without the particular strap??

Night View DUOMO Firenze

J-F.
Paneristi
J-F.
Paneristi

June 13th, 2012, 6:28 pm #10

Night View DUOMO Firenze
I'd do it only with a seller I know unles the risk to be scamed is huge as any dispute is possible ... imho

FrankV1
Paneristi
FrankV1
Paneristi

June 13th, 2012, 7:00 pm #11

Night View DUOMO Firenze

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

June 13th, 2012, 7:40 pm #12

for accepting payment for P-Day NYC as gifts. Given the volume I received, PayPal believed I was a vendor of some sort and I now can no longer accepts payments as "gifts".

I believe they also use some sort of filer in the notes/subject line that can raise red flags alerting them that the funds aren't intended as true gifts.

-luke

I've been told that paypal will notice if you receive a large number of "gifts" and will ding you for it, looks like that's a confirmed theory now.

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

June 13th, 2012, 7:44 pm #13

Night View DUOMO Firenze
When it comes to selling something, if you use paypal you're using their service to aid your transaction, I think it's only fair that they get paid for providing that service. If you don't like their fee structure, just say "Sorry no paypal", aka vote with your pocket book. When a seller is trying to game the system it immediately makes me nervous.

But I'm biased in favor of paypal, 99% of my business is transacted via Paypal and trust me, they get a piece of every transaction. But I don't begrudge them their slice at all, without their service I might well be out of business.

azcodman
Paneristi
azcodman
Paneristi

June 13th, 2012, 9:05 pm #14

am too old school here. Another peeve is those selling a watch worth thousands of dollars, place photo of watch for sale, but add: Strap on the watch not included ?
why then not take photo without the particular strap??

Night View DUOMO Firenze
Kind of like selling a car with a certain set of wheels, but not including them. I recall once seeing a $30K+ watch being advertised with the "strap not included" comment. Seriously, would anyone take a chance on losing a sale if I wanted that strap included?

Maybe I'm also too damn old to understand some things...

Keith

CharlesLC
Paneristi

June 13th, 2012, 9:29 pm #15

-luke

Best to get your stories straight. But then Id feel bad if Sanchez/Tebow were my go-to guys and not want to admit it either.

peezie
Paneristi
peezie
Paneristi

June 13th, 2012, 9:34 pm #16

-luke

And allowed non-gift payments PLUS provided tracking information. In other words, losing money just 'cause I'm a nice guy.

I think in most cases you should just add a few bucks to whatever you want for the item and continue to provide the protections afforded by Paypal and USPS tracking data. At least that's what I'll do moving forward.

justhideandwatch
Paneristi

June 13th, 2012, 10:55 pm #17

Night View DUOMO Firenze
For the reasons listed above. As a buyer, I WANT the security of being able to file a dispute, and as a seller, I don't want to end up getting flagged as accepting gifts for payments that aren't actually gifts. Just not worth it IMO.

-Taylor

mike2zero
Paneristi

June 13th, 2012, 11:10 pm #18

still trying to get Aurelio on the phone to deliver it....

mike2zero
Portland, Oregon

DONAG
Paneristi
DONAG
Paneristi

June 13th, 2012, 11:15 pm #19

Night View DUOMO Firenze
Some countries are not safe to mail to and if the customer refuses insurance. I ask for a gift payment as Paypal's only dispute option is cough up a tracking number or refund the buyer.

No matter how many times I've told Paypal, that no one is going to pay $22 minimum on small priced orders. They still refuse to change their system to recognize this.

All they seem to see is that tracking for US to US sales is cheap and therefor it must be the same in the rest of the world, but it's not.

If you don't have a tracking number. They will give the buyer back his money.

This is for my protection.

DON

justhideandwatch
Paneristi

June 14th, 2012, 5:44 pm #20

still trying to get Aurelio on the phone to deliver it....

mike2zero
Portland, Oregon