Will Panerai ever make a new watch model?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Will Panerai ever make a new watch model?

TheIrishcoffee
Paneristi

June 25th, 2012, 1:26 pm #1

A very central and interesting question.

I LOVE Panerai - but sometimes I think of the future aspect of the brand. Not next year, but maybe in 10 or 25 years.

We basically still just have the Luminor and the Radiomir.

And then a looooot of different versions of these two models.

We've seen materials and tiny tiny changes. But basically Panerai are just releasing the same models with some tweaks and changes.

I get that the brand has a very strong historical factor. But the last few year, many of the releases have just been re-releases of older models (249 etc). Perhaps Panerai will realse the 127 next year without the "1950" text and then call it a brand new watch etc etc. They really have found their cashcow, and now they are just milking it dry.

I can't help to think, that in 25 years - we will have 750 different versions of the Luminor and Radiomir with so tiny differences that they just blend together.

Will we ever se a brand new design, like so many other brands produce quite often?

This is no critique - just me wondering.

TheIrishcoffee
Paneristi

June 25th, 2012, 1:31 pm #2

that it's a bad thing.

The Luminor and Radiomir is what defines the brand.
But won't Panerai at sometime have the balls and the urge to invent something brand new?

Perhaps sometime, someday if the sales start to drop, or it gets a young new CEO.

peezie
Paneristi
peezie
Paneristi

June 25th, 2012, 1:55 pm #3

The opposite tact and hope that they slowly reduce the amount of models available. Simply announce they are dropping x, y, and z at the end of each year for the next few years. They will obviously sell out but saturation and line confusion will stop. Keep the brand simple and historic - the two key reasons for Panerai's popularity to begin with.

J-F.
Paneristi
J-F.
Paneristi

June 25th, 2012, 2:08 pm #4

I LOVE Panerai - but sometimes I think of the future aspect of the brand. Not next year, but maybe in 10 or 25 years.

We've seen materials and tiny tiny changes. But basically Panerai are just releasing the same models with some tweaks and changes.

I get that the brand has a very strong historical factor. But the last few year, many of the releases have just been re-releases of older models (249 etc). Perhaps Panerai will realse the 127 next year without the "1950" text and then call it a brand new watch etc etc. They really have found their cashcow, and now they are just milking it dry.

I can't help to think, that in 25 years - we will have 750 different versions of the Luminor and Radiomir with so tiny differences that they just blend together.

Will we ever se a brand new design, like so many other brands produce quite often?

and I don't speak about the diameters from 38mm to 60 mm

- Luminor with Bettarini ( classic ) cases
- Luminor with 1950 case
- Luminor with 1950 ( II ) cases ... like the 372
- Radiomir
- Radiomir with 1940 cases ... like the 399
- mare Nostrum

and the variants in chrono, submersibles etc ...

TheIrishcoffee
Paneristi

June 25th, 2012, 2:31 pm #5

First of - I'm not saying I want a new totally new model. Im just saying do you thing it will happen?

@ J.F

I agree on the different versions. But except a few VERY special models (like the Mare) all versions you mention is basically just variants of the Radiomir and Luminor.
If you take a non paneristi person, they could not tell the difference between them all 15 feet, except that they are either Luminor style (with crownguard) or Radiomir (without).

Im talking about a totally different new model. Like the difference between the Luminor and the Radiomir.

As far as I recall the Radiomir was the fist version - then later Panerai invented the totally different Luminor case. So they have done it before - come up with a totally new design.

It's that kind of innovation Im asking if you believe we will see sometime again. And not just a slightly thinner, fatter, broader, gold, ceramic, submersible, 8 -days, 1950, 3-days, tourbillion, version of the two basic current models.

Again I'm not saying I want it - but's it's a very interesting thought right? They did it before - but is that it - and will Panerai still be around and just be different versions of the Lum and Rad case in 50 years?

mrpanerai
Paneristi

June 25th, 2012, 2:48 pm #6

I think Panerai is one of the few companies that got it right.

There are a lot of watch companies that bring out new "case" models every
year. Pretty soon you lose the companies original DNA and its no longer what
it was. Zenith is a great example. On the flip side of the coin look at Rolex.
When was the last time they made a new case and they are the Number 1
selling watch in the world.

FrankV1
Paneristi
FrankV1
Paneristi

June 25th, 2012, 2:49 pm #7

Night View DUOMO Firenze

keeperoftime
Paneristi

June 25th, 2012, 3:06 pm #8

+1

AP is still going strong as well. They have countless limited editions (Some say too many). This does not dilute, it just gives the collector more to dream about at night!

TheIrishcoffee
Paneristi

June 25th, 2012, 4:14 pm #9

Panerai, and state that every thing is fine as it is.

I fully agree! Never said anything else. I also think that they are doing it right by not flooding the market with new cases.

What I ask is, if you THINK they will ever produce a new case. What direction will they go in?

These are questions that any paneristi should consider, and not just post about which strap for which watch

Personally, I think they will do a totally new watch within the next 10 years. It'l still be historic and still a diver.. Maybe lol

DONAG
Paneristi
DONAG
Paneristi

June 25th, 2012, 4:47 pm #10

One is the no crown guard Luminor/Marina screw down crown model

Second is this 47 mm Radiomir design

DON

J-F.
Paneristi
J-F.
Paneristi

June 25th, 2012, 4:56 pm #11

Like the pic of this flat Rad

TheIrishcoffee
Paneristi

June 25th, 2012, 5:07 pm #12

One is the no crown guard Luminor/Marina screw down crown model

Second is this 47 mm Radiomir design

DON

That's what Im talking about. Could be a new dresswatch.

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

June 25th, 2012, 5:40 pm #13

The 372 case is, I believe, a completely new design. I'll be curious to see what they do with it going forward. Replace the 1950 case? Will there be a 44mm version? Etc.

If plexi is wrong, I don't want to be right.

hayseedbrown
Paneristi

June 25th, 2012, 6:17 pm #14

The only way for Panerai to go forward is to concentrate on producing more and better in-house movements. Unfortunately Panerai's internal DNA is non-existent because they began not as a watch company, but a toolmaking company. When they had the Rolex movement in their Radiomir, it was because that was the movement that would make their "tool" work the best. That approach to toolmaking is kept alive in most of their current watches that use ETA movements. For example, the base Radiomir movement is a simple, reliable, hearty one. But they can't rest on this forever. The current form of Officine Panerai is that of a watchmaking company. Their future is to act as watchmakers and bring some innovation to the market. With that being said, I think Panerai is headed in the right direction. They have shown willingness to create their own movements and grow as a watchmaker. And Panerai must keep doing this, so long as they keep their unique and classic designs.

Is it too blasphemous to suggest a Radiomir Moonphase? Imagine the lume of that glowing moon...

TheIrishcoffee
Paneristi

June 25th, 2012, 6:36 pm #15

The 372 case is, I believe, a completely new design. I'll be curious to see what they do with it going forward. Replace the 1950 case? Will there be a 44mm version? Etc.

If plexi is wrong, I don't want to be right.
case, it still has the crownguard, same lugs etc. All based on the two old case design they work from. And as mentioned before, a non risti could not tell the difference 15 feet away But WE can!

I was simply wondering when we would see something completely different, ala no crowngaurd (or new design) new lugs, sizes etc.

Tik_tik_tik
Paneristi

June 25th, 2012, 6:53 pm #16

I think Panerai is certainly capable of building a 'new' Panerai and I believe that in a few years you might even see such a piece.

Panerai has been trading on the 3646 and the 6152 for nearly sixty years. While there's still plenty of demand for pieces like it, no one at Panerai could be so short-sighted as to think that the well will never run dry.

None of us can predict what will happen in the future, but Panerai has to have a plan beyond "ride nostalgia until the bottom falls out".

For the time being, though, they're OK with just their two major case styles.

Now what I would like to see is a big-time paring-down of the model range. There are simply too many models, all of which look alike. Look at Rolex: one of the biggest watchmakers in the world and they only have a handful of models (with a ton of dial variations).

I would like to see Panerai phase-out at least fifty percent of the lineup, make the remaining models permanent models, and stop making a hundred different special editions each year. Special editions should be SPECIAL, like the 360, 232 or the 21; and not just limited like the boutique editions or the re-releases of cancelled models like the 29.

A company like Panerai can do just fine with a limited range, since they're under such artificial restrictions on production anyway. It might even do a little to regain some of the lost sense of exclusivity/coolness/best-kept-secret they used to have.

douggie60
New User
douggie60
New User

June 25th, 2012, 7:51 pm #17

A pam 372 destro would be nice or different material casing.........this would be awesome!!

And please some decoration and blue steel screws on the in-house movement would make it a complete watch!!........a good example the pam 217.

TheIrishcoffee
Paneristi

June 25th, 2012, 8:25 pm #18

Just variation of the current Luminor design.

Im talking something radial different. A delicate dresswatch, a square case whatever. Most other brands do it. Not just one "new" version of the Luminor or Radiomir year after year.

johnnelp
Paneristi
johnnelp
Paneristi

June 26th, 2012, 5:16 am #19

TheIrishcoffee
Paneristi

June 26th, 2012, 5:34 am #20

Nt