Why doesn't Panerai sponsor any pro athletes??

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Why doesn't Panerai sponsor any pro athletes??

dcvelo
Paneristi
dcvelo
Paneristi

January 29th, 2012, 10:39 pm #1

And I mean golfers, Tennis players, race car driver's, etc?? Does the company feel that is not necessary, based on all the following that it has??
It seems to me that with all that tradition and history, it would be great to see them more on famous athletes' wrists.
Why don't they design soemething new, a Chrono maybe with more modern styling to it, and stop recycling old models.
Don't get me wrong, they are all great, but I think in my opinion, they need to change their forward thinking a little.
I would love to see a 44mm chrono to compete with AP's, Hublots, Rolex Daytonas and such.
Does anybody else feel the same way.
Please chime in.
Cheers!!

andyhunt
Paneristi
andyhunt
Paneristi

January 29th, 2012, 10:46 pm #2

They sponsor sailing events so are in line with their historical ties the things nautical
Then there is the sponsorship of Mike Horn, Nuff said

Back to being a regular punter!

rybst
Paneristi
rybst
Paneristi

January 29th, 2012, 11:17 pm #3

And I mean golfers, Tennis players, race car driver's, etc?? Does the company feel that is not necessary, based on all the following that it has??
It seems to me that with all that tradition and history, it would be great to see them more on famous athletes' wrists.
Why don't they design soemething new, a Chrono maybe with more modern styling to it, and stop recycling old models.
Don't get me wrong, they are all great, but I think in my opinion, they need to change their forward thinking a little.
I would love to see a 44mm chrono to compete with AP's, Hublots, Rolex Daytonas and such.
Please chime in.
Cheers!!
I think in the watch circle, panerai's method of marketing has been very unique.
No discounts. Limited production. Keeping supply "just enough" for the masses.
They hardly need some athlete to wear their watches for them to fly off the shelves, it does it already.
As for recycling "older models"-my thoughts are (and they are only my thoughts) - why not, it sells, there is a demand, so they give us what we want.
As for chronos - i am not a fan of chronos, so not seeing them is no big deal for me. I am a big fan of their less is more philosophy.

Structo
Paneristi
Structo
Paneristi

January 29th, 2012, 11:32 pm #4

Please chime in.
Cheers!!
Panerai chooses to sponsor events and people they perceive to be in line with their core values.

Regarding a more modern PAM, such as a chrono - they sort of tried this with the Ferrari line.
Didn't end so well.

greg in denver

Le-Chef
Paneristi
Le-Chef
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 12:01 am #5

Please chime in.
Cheers!!
Sponsoring athletes for Panerai would be a waste of money. It doesn't fit the brand architecture. It also doesn't need it: the brand has a clear positioning and brand personality that doesn't need athletes to make it appealing.

sdumperth
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 12:08 am #6

Please chime in.
Cheers!!
If Panerai sponsors anyone other than Mike Horn or Raimonds Bergmanis, I'm out!

May the force be with you........................Always!

Being "Individual" is SO expensive!

"Always remember, you can't buy class" -Dad

I believe in COMMUNITY, wether you believe in it or me. If you are reading this, then you are community!
Always remember, you can’t buy class. -Dad

PSY76
Paneristi
PSY76
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 12:11 am #7

Please chime in.
Cheers!!
I think the brand speaks for itself.

</a><a href="http://photobucket.com" rel="nofollow">

rendylatief
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 1:44 am #8

Please chime in.
Cheers!!
If Chuck Norris is sponsored and wears a panerai,
I'm getting 2 moreeee!!!

PGAPRO2006
Paneristi
PGAPRO2006
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 1:54 am #9

Please chime in.
Cheers!!
Well let me just say, I have several sponsors, and I'm obligated to them in varying degrees. However when I choose a watch, it will be one that personally speaks to me, and not something that
I have to wear in public. You would be surprised how many athletes endorse a product, and then
do nothing but take the money and never promote it. Golf equipment Mfr's are notorious for signing
up and coming golfers, and then when they do win, or place in the top 10 bolt for the highest bidder. Me, personally, I would rather take my hard earned money and buy what I liked. Prime example was Tiger Wood's endorsement a few years ago for Tudor. Well the fact is you couldn't really get the watch in the U.S. and the deal went sour, and then he signed with Tag Heur. We all know how that ended up. Now he's back. Guess who picked him up. Rolex! A true enthusiast doesn't do it for the $$$, it's because it's a passion. Most of these Professional Athletes won't walk across the street for less than $10k, so my hat's off to Panerai, because the rest of the Richmont companies including AP, do pay, especially in Europe. IMHO.

nickster250
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 2:12 am #10

Please chime in.
Cheers!!
and I don't think they are recycling "old" models. Just look how popular the 372 is among people. Not to mention the Bronzo!

Plus they got a guy who gives them free advertising in films anyway by the name of Stallone

karmatp
Paneristi
karmatp
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 2:15 am #11

Please chime in.
Cheers!!
I would never buy a watch just because some overpaid athlete wears one. I like Panerai's marketing, it would just be a bad fit.

I can't believe Rolex picked up Tiger, seems like a odd match for such a conservative brand.

My Grails

fullcourt1
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 2:35 am #12

Please chime in.
Cheers!!
"
dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
more than just a watch

Shalomp
Paneristi
Shalomp
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 3:11 am #13

Please chime in.
Cheers!!
events sponsorships are fine but if u are referring to celebrity endorsements then its a very tricky issue. panerai has always been perceived to be a "man's" watch with all that size packed into its case. its got a rich history as a tough guy watch with its dealings with the italian navy frogmen too.

i think panerai is such a great brand that connotates one of the most remarkable histories of watches but a big blemish that really sticks out like a sore thumb is having stallone propel it to cult status.

bzabodyn
Paneristi
bzabodyn
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 3:15 am #14

"
dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
... They still show up everywhere - TV commercials, movies (Stallone/D Johnson/Statham/etc), red carpets - celebrities are into them right now so much it's almost sickening.

BZ

PAM 372 (Gone - 111, 210, 351, 000 DLC) - 390 in waiting!

Joseph56
Paneristi
Joseph56
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 3:41 am #15

Please chime in.
Cheers!!
Mike Horn is a good example. I would like to see them work with people that are involved in design and technology that advances mankind.

Just living the dream waiting for the next PAM

fullcourt1
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 3:50 am #16

... They still show up everywhere - TV commercials, movies (Stallone/D Johnson/Statham/etc), red carpets - celebrities are into them right now so much it's almost sickening.

BZ

PAM 372 (Gone - 111, 210, 351, 000 DLC) - 390 in waiting!

"
dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
more than just a watch

jadamo
Paneristi
jadamo
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 5:17 am #17

Please chime in.
Cheers!!
Ora et Labora

rapers
Paneristi
rapers
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 12:20 pm #18

Please chime in.
Cheers!!
Don't want to see PAMs being worn by every Tom, Dick, or Harry.

rapers
Paneristi
rapers
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 12:22 pm #19

If Chuck Norris is sponsored and wears a panerai,
I'm getting 2 moreeee!!!
nt

Russ757
Paneristi
Russ757
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 2:28 pm #20

Don't want to see PAMs being worn by every Tom, Dick, or Harry.
That's Rolex's job!!