Traveling to South Africa

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Traveling to South Africa

philwongnz
Paneristi
philwongnz
Paneristi

March 15th, 2017, 12:44 am #1

Hi all

I will be going to SA shortly, one thing my GF have told me to do is don't wear a watch there (she was born and grew up there).

I have heard Jo'burg can be sketchy but Cape Town should be much safer. Do you guys have any opinions on this?

I am posting here just to get some opinions as she doesn't read the forum

Thanks a lot.

Phil

FLS2K
Paneristi
FLS2K
Paneristi

March 15th, 2017, 1:50 am #2

I'd listen to the person born and raised there. nt
FLS2K is Beef
Beef is FLS2K

LACrows
Paneristi
LACrows
Paneristi

March 15th, 2017, 3:57 am #3

Hi all

I will be going to SA shortly, one thing my GF have told me to do is don't wear a watch there (she was born and grew up there).

I have heard Jo'burg can be sketchy but Cape Town should be much safer. Do you guys have any opinions on this?

Thanks a lot.

Phil
Never took a valuable watch. Just Swatch.

Cape Town should be OK, and you'll probably spend most of your time in Joburg behind a wall and razor wire, but why risk it?

Probably good advice from your GF. Plenty of horror stories, so don't make yourself more of a target.

- Q -

creebsta
Paneristi
creebsta
Paneristi

March 15th, 2017, 9:44 am #4

Hi all

Thanks a lot.

Phil
Hi Phil

I have lived in South Africa all my life. I currently reside in Johannesburg and visit family and friends in Durban and Cape Town regularly. I wear my Pam's day and night without hesitation.

The adage of avoiding certain parts of cities in the world is continuously preached and Cape Town and Johannesburg are no different.

The bottom line is that South Africa is safe provided you are aware of your surrounds and do not venture into seedy suburbs after dark.

If you're looking for a few ideas on what to see while here I can be of assistance. I'd also hate for you to travel all the way here and not visit the only Panerai Boutique in Africa (in Sandton City Johannesburg) Alexi and his team will take good care of you there!

I hope this helps. Feel free to get in touch with me if you have any other questions about Sunny South Africa.

Best
Rob

drangel
Paneristi
drangel
Paneristi

March 15th, 2017, 12:06 pm #5

Hi all

Thanks a lot.

Phil
Hi
Just like Rob, I have lived in Johannesburg my whole life. I wear my PAM's every day without an issue.
Just like any big city, there are places to avoid and Johannesburg is no different. You need to be aware of crime and not make yourself an obvious target which goes for any city that I have ever travelled to as well.
The tourist/business areas in Northern Johannesburg are safe.
There are amazing places to eat, coffee shops, shopping centres etc in our rapidly growing city, which is way more 1st word and developed then you will imagine. (You will see when you arrive).
Cape Town is fantastic and an amazing place to visit and see. I am, of course, biased but it truly is the most beautiful city in the world and I have travelled extensively.
So, just take general travel precautions, and if you are unsure about going somewhere, just ask someone at your hotel etc as people are very friendly and helpful, and you should be absolutely fine.
If you need any travel advise, just ask
Enjoy
Gavin

philwongnz
Paneristi
philwongnz
Paneristi

March 15th, 2017, 2:02 pm #6

Hi all

Thanks a lot.

Phil
Thank you all for your comments

Rob, I will be over for a weekend only in Jo'burg. Would love to buy you a beer for your great tips.

Pls reach out to me on phil@arttem.co.uk as I can't see any emails on your profile.

Cheers

Phil

philwongnz
Paneristi
philwongnz
Paneristi

March 15th, 2017, 2:06 pm #7

Hi
Just like Rob, I have lived in Johannesburg my whole life. I wear my PAM's every day without an issue.
Just like any big city, there are places to avoid and Johannesburg is no different. You need to be aware of crime and not make yourself an obvious target which goes for any city that I have ever travelled to as well.
The tourist/business areas in Northern Johannesburg are safe.
There are amazing places to eat, coffee shops, shopping centres etc in our rapidly growing city, which is way more 1st word and developed then you will imagine. (You will see when you arrive).
Cape Town is fantastic and an amazing place to visit and see. I am, of course, biased but it truly is the most beautiful city in the world and I have travelled extensively.
So, just take general travel precautions, and if you are unsure about going somewhere, just ask someone at your hotel etc as people are very friendly and helpful, and you should be absolutely fine.
If you need any travel advise, just ask
Enjoy
Gavin
I have heard great things about SA.

Everyone I spoke to have said the food and drinks are amazing there.

The sceneries I have heard are breath taking. But like you I am biased, so I will need to compare to New Zealand - where I grew up

mlcdmd
Paneristi
mlcdmd
Paneristi

March 15th, 2017, 6:05 pm #8

Hi all

Thanks a lot.

Phil
Nothing could be worse than getting your pam jacked and then having the gf say those dreaded four words, "I told you so!"
Mike C, 312 NYC

PatlePirate
Paneristi

March 16th, 2017, 1:16 pm #9

Hi all

Thanks a lot.

Phil
Hi Phil,

Let me know if you are coming in CT, welcome! It's so rare here, only met one other local!

I am wearing my PAM in town everywhere. Few people know Panerai and in general petty crime is really low in the city.
Now with two exceptions: When walking at night, just avoid being drunk on Long Street with your PAM or with your iPhone + if you take the train (but you won't) and that's really it.

Trust the locals, to some extent. We met many privileged South Africans who were overly scared and stressed about security. They live behind high fences and do not mix up with other social groups, making them quite distant and disconnected to the real life. Despite the huge inequality, it's still very quiet.

My hidden gem tip: Go during the week (weekend a bit too crowded) to The Gin Bar, hidden behind Honest Chocolate, 64A Wale Street. And visit the art galleries in Woodstock (Stevenson, Goodman) then go to the Biscuit Mill on a Sturday for brunch.

Pat

https://theculturetrip.com/africa/south ... galleries/