The book reference post >>> show us your favorites

The book reference post >>> show us your favorites

Asimut
Paneristi
Asimut
Paneristi

February 4th, 2012, 6:29 pm #1

for many of us who love the history just as much as we love the Panerai watches, the books provide us with many hours of fascinating reading. In this thread I hope we can cover some important resources that help us understand a little bit about the background and history involving Panerai. I did not include other valuable resources such as special watch books (i.e. the Value of Time), catalogs, brochures, magazines, newsletters, etc., perhaps a separate post will cover these.

I added a few words about each book, if you want to add more, please feel free to chime in.

Topic 1 : History of the Panerai company, including (of course) some millitary history.

I Mezzi D'assalto

The first Panerai book I ever read (well,,,,looked at the pics and twisted the arm of my Italian buddy to translate) was part of the pre-V Special Editions Slytech package. Loads of history combined with historic pics and diagrams, all in relation with the Xth Flottiglia Mas. Unfortunately, its in Italian only, no English . The quality of this book is not great, B&W pics and scans. Written by Marco Spertini and Erminio Bagnasco with a forward by Mario Arillo. This book exists in two color of covers, blue and green, both identical.
In 2002, 20 copies (blue cover) were issued by the company Calzoni, division Panerai Sistemi, to commemorate 50 years of the Gruppo Arditi Incursori.

Panerai Historia and Legendary Watches.

These two short, small, hardcover books were the main resource of understanding vintage and pre-V Panerai for many years. They include excellent summarized information with very good pictures as well. They were available as free hand-outs in the boutiques and later on 'Legendary Watches' was part of the package in special edition watches such as the PAM 249 and 232. Both were compiled by Giampiero Negretti and Published by Panerai. Panerai Historia, 84 pages; Legendary Watches, 75 pages.

The Panerai in Florence

This 3 piece Album set (limited to 500 copies) records a personal history of the brand from day one up to the Vendome takeover. And what better person to write this, than the man who was in charge since 1972, Dino Zei. The main book is the complete Italian text, while the second book is the English translation LESS the pictures. This makes reading a bit tiresome, as you must hold both books open in parallel (unless you're fluent in Italian). The 3rd book in this set isn't actually a book. Its a rather strange album that dedicated a page to each watch, tool, etc. While the vintage watch information is rather obscure and far from beeing accurate, the later info and especially 1993-1997 is priceless. This is the book that gave us the exact numbers, including serials of the entire 90's production. This book is a MUST READ and a substantial reference source. CLD Publishing, 186 pages (English); 278 pages (Italian).

PANERAI

Many remember this epic work, not because of the outcome (although this is an ultra high quality album) but from long time between its announcement, to the actual delivery. It was on Amazon without a release date for at least 2 years. This book was commissioned by Panerai to the famous journalist Stephan Ciejka, editor of the French horology magazine Revue des Montres. Apparently, Panerai decided eventually to complete the work using Giampiero Negretti and Simon De Burton. The book is kind of a remake of the Negretti book with a little history, watches and tools and up to modern Panerai. Picture quality is superb but nothing new from the history side (except the remark that Angelus movements 'may' have not participated in the diving missions of WW2).
The album discusses ventures of Panerai the company, including colaborations such as Regatta, Mike horn etc. It also acknowledges the development of in-house movements. Published by Flammarion, 33.5cmx33.5cm (13"x13")(!), 191 pages and 3.16kg (yikes, more than my daughters' birth weight...)

Topic 2 : Military History

Vintage Panerai - Watches with History

5 Watches, 4 combat diving servicemen with their personal history. 2 prominent collectors and pillars of the Paneristi community are behind this, Ralf Ehlers and Volker Wiegmann. This in the authors' own words, is a book by collectors for collectors. It doesn't get any better than this, its what passion is all about. Wait, it may actually get better; rumors say an expanded version is in the works. Written in three languages (German, Italian and English) and luckily, and unlike the Zei book, its simultaneous - 3 languages on every page. Published by the authors, 227 pges and completely sold out!

Sea Devils

The daring missions of the Decima Flottiglia Mas as told by its legendary commander, Valerio Borghese. This is a must read testimony and biography concerning the very unit that changed combat swimmers history and who's courage and ingenuity was admired by Sir Winston Churchill. translated by James Cleugh, Published by the Henry Regnery Company and also by the Naval Institute Press (under the series 'Classics of Naval Literature), 262 pages.

The Black Prince and the Sea Devils

Not to be confused with the above, this is the same story but told from a more objective point of view and by a historian. The history of Borghese is very intersting and important in understanding the complex events that occured in Italy during WW2. Written by Jack Green and Alessandro Massignani, published by Da Capo Press, 284 pages.

Warriors From The Deep

A very nice history of three combat swimmers units - Italian, German and French, from the begining till this modern day. Very well written in album style, with many pics and documents. Author - Eric Micheletti, History and Collections press, 206 pages.

Topic 3: Watches, SLCs, tools and the sorts.

Vintage Panerai - The references

Ralf Ehlers and Volker Wiegmann nail Vintage Panerai with their epic work. This is the absolute MUST reference book for anyone that collects or loves vintage Panerai. Contrary to what some may think, it is not the intention of the book to determine what is 'correct' or 'incorrect'. It is just a database of many vintage Panerai watches, recorded over the years, and compiled in a way that makes sense (finally). The two most important breakthroughs from this book (IMHO) are (1) the timeline that is determined for the first time and (2) the corrolation between the serials and movement types of the 3646 case.
The quality of the ORIGINAL pics is outstanding and the whole presentation is very impressive. Published by the authors, 365 pages.

Palombari

This book is incredible and one of my absolute favorites but unfortunately its in Italian only. The title means "Divers" and it has it all, the complete history of the Italian diver and the Italian navy from 1849-2009. Many pics and technical drawings of equipment (how about the blueprint of the Galeazzi knife?). Written by Fabio Vitale and Gianfranco Betro, Published by Editrice La Mandragora, 452 pages.

Midget Submarines of the Second World War

The author, Paul Kemp is a leading authority on naval history and formerly a staff member of the Imperial War Museum. Another of his books (not in my possession, on loan so no pic) - "Underwater Warriors" was the first English language book I ever read on this topic.
This book tells you all you ever need to know about SLCs. Italian, German, British and Japanese; They're all there. A nice bonus is a technical blueprint style drawing 1/24 scale, of the British X-Craft. Chatham Publishing, 125 pages.

Again, do feel free to comment, add and let us know about other books you like.

Cheers and best from the holyland,

~Asi~

<a href="http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h306/ ... d.jpg"></a>

panerai4life
Paneristi

February 4th, 2012, 7:17 pm #2

only got one from what you mentioned above

"Time flies when you are ALIVE"
Greetings from the Land of Smiles...

HammerHammer
Paneristi

February 4th, 2012, 7:51 pm #3

for many of us who love the history just as much as we love the Panerai watches, the books provide us with many hours of fascinating reading. In this thread I hope we can cover some important resources that help us understand a little bit about the background and history involving Panerai. I did not include other valuable resources such as special watch books (i.e. the Value of Time), catalogs, brochures, magazines, newsletters, etc., perhaps a separate post will cover these.

I added a few words about each book, if you want to add more, please feel free to chime in.

Topic 1 : History of the Panerai company, including (of course) some millitary history.

I Mezzi D'assalto

The first Panerai book I ever read (well,,,,looked at the pics and twisted the arm of my Italian buddy to translate) was part of the pre-V Special Editions Slytech package. Loads of history combined with historic pics and diagrams, all in relation with the Xth Flottiglia Mas. Unfortunately, its in Italian only, no English . The quality of this book is not great, B&W pics and scans. Written by Marco Spertini and Erminio Bagnasco with a forward by Mario Arillo. This book exists in two color of covers, blue and green, both identical.
In 2002, 20 copies (blue cover) were issued by the company Calzoni, division Panerai Sistemi, to commemorate 50 years of the Gruppo Arditi Incursori.

These two short, small, hardcover books were the main resource of understanding vintage and pre-V Panerai for many years. They include excellent summarized information with very good pictures as well. They were available as free hand-outs in the boutiques and later on 'Legendary Watches' was part of the package in special edition watches such as the PAM 249 and 232. Both were compiled by Giampiero Negretti and Published by Panerai. Panerai Historia, 84 pages; Legendary Watches, 75 pages.

The Panerai in Florence

This 3 piece Album set (limited to 500 copies) records a personal history of the brand from day one up to the Vendome takeover. And what better person to write this, than the man who was in charge since 1972, Dino Zei. The main book is the complete Italian text, while the second book is the English translation LESS the pictures. This makes reading a bit tiresome, as you must hold both books open in parallel (unless you're fluent in Italian). The 3rd book in this set isn't actually a book. Its a rather strange album that dedicated a page to each watch, tool, etc. While the vintage watch information is rather obscure and far from beeing accurate, the later info and especially 1993-1997 is priceless. This is the book that gave us the exact numbers, including serials of the entire 90's production. This book is a MUST READ and a substantial reference source. CLD Publishing, 186 pages (English); 278 pages (Italian).

PANERAI

Many remember this epic work, not because of the outcome (although this is an ultra high quality album) but from long time between its announcement, to the actual delivery. It was on Amazon without a release date for at least 2 years. This book was commissioned by Panerai to the famous journalist Stephan Ciejka, editor of the French horology magazine Revue des Montres. Apparently, Panerai decided eventually to complete the work using Giampiero Negretti and Simon De Burton. The book is kind of a remake of the Negretti book with a little history, watches and tools and up to modern Panerai. Picture quality is superb but nothing new from the history side (except the remark that Angelus movements 'may' have not participated in the diving missions of WW2).
The album discusses ventures of Panerai the company, including colaborations such as Regatta, Mike horn etc. It also acknowledges the development of in-house movements. Published by Flammarion, 33.5cmx33.5cm (13"x13")(!), 191 pages and 3.16kg (yikes, more than my daughters' birth weight...)

5 Watches, 4 combat diving servicemen with their personal history. 2 prominent collectors and pillars of the Paneristi community are behind this, Ralf Ehlers and Volker Wiegmann. This in the authors' own words, is a book by collectors for collectors. It doesn't get any better than this, its what passion is all about. Wait, it may actually get better; rumors say an expanded version is in the works. Written in three languages (German, Italian and English) and luckily, and unlike the Zei book, its simultaneous - 3 languages on every page. Published by the authors, 227 pges and completely sold out!

Sea Devils

The daring missions of the Decima Flottiglia Mas as told by its legendary commander, Valerio Borghese. This is a must read testimony and biography concerning the very unit that changed combat swimmers history and who's courage and ingenuity was admired by Sir Winston Churchill. translated by James Cleugh, Published by the Henry Regnery Company and also by the Naval Institute Press (under the series 'Classics of Naval Literature), 262 pages.

Not to be confused with the above, this is the same story but told from a more objective point of view and by a historian. The history of Borghese is very intersting and important in understanding the complex events that occured in Italy during WW2. Written by Jack Green and Alessandro Massignani, published by Da Capo Press, 284 pages.

Warriors From The Deep

A very nice history of three combat swimmers units - Italian, German and French, from the begining till this modern day. Very well written in album style, with many pics and documents. Author - Eric Micheletti, History and Collections press, 206 pages.

Ralf Ehlers and Volker Wiegmann nail Vintage Panerai with their epic work. This is the absolute MUST reference book for anyone that collects or loves vintage Panerai. Contrary to what some may think, it is not the intention of the book to determine what is 'correct' or 'incorrect'. It is just a database of many vintage Panerai watches, recorded over the years, and compiled in a way that makes sense (finally). The two most important breakthroughs from this book (IMHO) are (1) the timeline that is determined for the first time and (2) the corrolation between the serials and movement types of the 3646 case.
The quality of the ORIGINAL pics is outstanding and the whole presentation is very impressive. Published by the authors, 365 pages.

Palombari

This book is incredible and one of my absolute favorites but unfortunately its in Italian only. The title means "Divers" and it has it all, the complete history of the Italian diver and the Italian navy from 1849-2009. Many pics and technical drawings of equipment (how about the blueprint of the Galeazzi knife?). Written by Fabio Vitale and Gianfranco Betro, Published by Editrice La Mandragora, 452 pages.

The author, Paul Kemp is a leading authority on naval history and formerly a staff member of the Imperial War Museum. Another of his books (not in my possession, on loan so no pic) - "Underwater Warriors" was the first English language book I ever read on this topic.
This book tells you all you ever need to know about SLCs. Italian, German, British and Japanese; They're all there. A nice bonus is a technical blueprint style drawing 1/24 scale, of the British X-Craft. Chatham Publishing, 125 pages.

~Asi~

So much MORE than just a Watch

What Watch ,, it's the M8TES behind my brand that I LOVE ,, the Watch is just the GPS

A decade on ,, I COPY it now ,, More than EVER b4 >> it's a PANERAI behind every Panerai is a PANERISTI

And dat , SIMPLY blows me away ,, U Bet....................... BBQ Drew RIP

Feel the Passion ,, Respect the DNA ,, Cheers Beers ,,, Hoo Roo Hammer

J-F.
Paneristi
J-F.
Paneristi

February 4th, 2012, 8:00 pm #4

I Mezzi D'assalto

The Panerai in Florence

PANERAI

Sea Devils

Warriors From The Deep

Palombari

~Asi~

The Panerai «  big book » ( 40 x 40 cm )

L'Orologio Panerai, Firenze Marzo 2007 ( 27,5 x 27,5 cm )

L'Orologio Panerai Firenze 2007 ( 23,5 x 32 cm ) press brochure

Blackbox event, Munich November 2010 ( 27,5 x 21 cm )

L' Egiziano ( 27 x 27 cm )

Mare Nostrum ( 27 x 27 cm )

Panerai in Florence ( Zei ) / Panerai watches ( Paci ) 2 books in one hard cover ( 25,5 x 33 cm )

Style book I ( 21 x 28,5 cm )

Style book II ( 21 x 28,5 )

Revolution ( 23 x 30,5 cm )

Asimut
Paneristi
Asimut
Paneristi

February 4th, 2012, 8:06 pm #5

Trigger happy

~Asi~

Last edited by Asimut on February 4th, 2012, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HammerHammer
Paneristi

February 4th, 2012, 9:26 pm #6

I Mezzi D'assalto

The Panerai in Florence

PANERAI

Sea Devils

Warriors From The Deep

Palombari

~Asi~

soooo here is what I can reach this morning >>>

And some VHS & DVD's >>>>

Next ill have to do magazines , then OP related treasures , but that's gunna be a long one

Albeit a few sneaked in here but I'll one day do a complete grab of all of those
<b>

"Power Up"

Cheers Hammer

Xcuse the TYPO'S  ,, Sent from my iPad 2 </b>

What Watch ,, it's the M8TES behind my brand that I LOVE ,, the Watch is just the GPS

A decade on ,, I COPY it now ,, More than EVER b4 >> it's a PANERAI behind every Panerai is a PANERISTI

Last edited by HammerHammer on February 5th, 2012, 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

HammerHammer
Paneristi

February 4th, 2012, 9:27 pm #7

The Panerai «  big book » ( 40 x 40 cm )

L'Orologio Panerai, Firenze Marzo 2007 ( 27,5 x 27,5 cm )

L'Orologio Panerai Firenze 2007 ( 23,5 x 32 cm ) press brochure

Blackbox event, Munich November 2010 ( 27,5 x 21 cm )

L' Egiziano ( 27 x 27 cm )

Mare Nostrum ( 27 x 27 cm )

Panerai in Florence ( Zei ) / Panerai watches ( Paci ) 2 books in one hard cover ( 25,5 x 33 cm )

Style book I ( 21 x 28,5 cm )

Style book II ( 21 x 28,5 )

Revolution ( 23 x 30,5 cm )

aikiman44
Paneristi
aikiman44
Paneristi

February 5th, 2012, 5:15 am #8

I Mezzi D'assalto

The Panerai in Florence

PANERAI

Sea Devils

Warriors From The Deep

Palombari

~Asi~

Love the references, especially the ones that tell the story rather than just a catalog.

RobertMiley
Paneristi
RobertMiley
Paneristi

February 5th, 2012, 8:47 am #9

I Mezzi D'assalto

The Panerai in Florence

PANERAI

Sea Devils

Warriors From The Deep

Palombari

~Asi~

Asi, concerning the book, the I Mezzi D'assalto, although I know the book was issued with the 205/A but was it not also issued with some of the first 201/A's put out as well. That is the history that I have heard. It was in this thread last year:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/m ... opinion+is

Asimut
Paneristi
Asimut
Paneristi

February 5th, 2012, 9:03 am #10

and there's always the possibility that the AD had a few spare copies and decided to reward his customer? Will ask around and lets see what I come up with.

~Asi~

Robbie-Do
Paneristi

February 5th, 2012, 9:54 am #11

I Mezzi D'assalto

The Panerai in Florence

PANERAI

Sea Devils

Warriors From The Deep

Palombari

~Asi~

Love it, very easy to create a birthday wish list from this post

Robbie-Doooooooooooooooo!

Watch by Panerai
Bike by Look
Hair by Gillette

HammerHammer
Paneristi

February 5th, 2012, 12:03 pm #12

and there's always the possibility that the AD had a few spare copies and decided to reward his customer? Will ask around and lets see what I come up with.

~Asi~

peace10
Paneristi
peace10
Paneristi

February 5th, 2012, 12:20 pm #13

Asi, concerning the book, the I Mezzi D'assalto, although I know the book was issued with the 205/A but was it not also issued with some of the first 201/A's put out as well. That is the history that I have heard. It was in this thread last year:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/m ... opinion+is

THis book is in the big box set on the Slytech serie: so it is on 205/A, 207/A, 302/A and 304/A.
(of course on Pam 21)
It was added to 201/A and 301/A set of the first items after the 10 settembre 1993 presentation on the ship " Cacciatorpediniere Luigi Durand De La Penne".

dy4
Paneristi
dy4
Paneristi

February 5th, 2012, 1:06 pm #14

I Mezzi D'assalto

The Panerai in Florence

PANERAI

Sea Devils

Warriors From The Deep

Palombari

~Asi~

I'm starting my book collection, maybe in time i will find more .
Tx

Cheers
//David
Belgium

Asimut
Paneristi
Asimut
Paneristi

February 5th, 2012, 1:15 pm #15

THis book is in the big box set on the Slytech serie: so it is on 205/A, 207/A, 302/A and 304/A.
(of course on Pam 21)
It was added to 201/A and 301/A set of the first items after the 10 settembre 1993 presentation on the ship " Cacciatorpediniere Luigi Durand De La Penne".

~Asi~

GeoffHess
Paneristi
GeoffHess
Paneristi

February 5th, 2012, 3:51 pm #16

(of course on Pam 21)
Page 327 of the Mario Paci book (from the two volume Zei/Paci set) says I Mezzi D'Assalto was also included with the 202/A .

Geoff

wilmsenm
Paneristi
wilmsenm
Paneristi

February 5th, 2012, 6:57 pm #17

soooo here is what I can reach this morning >>>

And some VHS & DVD's >>>>

Next ill have to do magazines , then OP related treasures , but that's gunna be a long one

Albeit a few sneaked in here but I'll one day do a complete grab of all of those
<b>

"Power Up"

Cheers Hammer

Xcuse the TYPO'S  ,, Sent from my iPad 2 </b>

one copy made for OP Amsterdam, one copy for Mr AB, and one copy for another Mr AB

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>

CowBiker
Paneristi
CowBiker
Paneristi

February 5th, 2012, 7:42 pm #18

I Mezzi D'assalto

The Panerai in Florence

PANERAI

Sea Devils

Warriors From The Deep

Palombari

~Asi~

I have the dark blue cover and it's one of the best collections of photos of the boats and their development I've ever seen, hence curious what the other version holds.

My collection

Asimut
Paneristi
Asimut
Paneristi

February 6th, 2012, 3:44 am #19

~Asi~

CowBiker
Paneristi
CowBiker
Paneristi

February 6th, 2012, 11:59 am #20

overlooked your comment in the text of of the OP, think yours is the first I've seen of the alternate color. Neat catch.

Sean